Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Resonators Anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-09, 03:53 PM
Black Fire
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Resonators Anyone?

So i have a stock exhaust system and i like the way it looks, but it could use a little more bass. Is it possible to splice in a resonator and still achieve the deep tone, or will the stock muffler simply hide it, hence wasting the effort? ( I want to keep the car looking as stock as possible and thats why i dont want to blow the dough on some fireballs )
Old 07-27-09, 04:12 PM
1FSTV8
Driver

Just completely remove all of them and it will be very deep , at least it was on the SC400 . I heard on the 300's its not as deep due to the engine being a 6 cylinder.
Old 07-27-09, 04:33 PM
Hil
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It will sound awesome if you take out the resonators
Old 07-27-09, 04:37 PM
Black Fire
Lead Lap

So maybe im missing something here but does the car come with stock resonators? cause like i said its stock, havent modified anything yet.
Old 07-27-09, 04:55 PM
Hil
Lexus Fanatic

Yes, after the mufflers you will see the two resonators. Chop those off, add some pipe, weld, and you'll hear the V8 much better.
Old 07-27-09, 08:10 PM
Durrby
Instructor

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

so would an ideal setup for the 400 be straight pipe from the primary cat back to aftermarket mufflers? also what size tubing, 2.25" 2.5"?

would there be any advantage in adding an x-pipe in there?

sorry to threadjack bro but i pretty much have similar questions.
Old 07-27-09, 08:46 PM
Vortes
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Ryeno
I think their is some confusion in here. The stock 400 is as follows:

As you can see you already have 3 resonators. Now if you remove them, yes the car will sound louder but its a dirty sound. You really do need new mufflers if you want that deep v8 noise.

@Durrby this is what i am going to do on my brothers 400. SS headers to the stock cats and o2 sensors. Then 2.25 piping to a magnaflow x-pipe and then 2 magnaflow 14829 mufflers.

The x-pipe isn't necessary but it really makes the idle more smooth.
You are absolutely wrong, get resonators cut out and it will sound great. I did this a while ago, cost me $60.
Old 07-27-09, 09:37 PM
OneJay
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Ryeno
@Durrby
This isn't twitter.....
Old 07-27-09, 10:01 PM
Hil
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Durrby
so would an ideal setup for the 400 be straight pipe from the primary cat back to aftermarket mufflers? also what size tubing, 2.25" 2.5"?

would there be any advantage in adding an x-pipe in there?

sorry to threadjack bro but i pretty much have similar questions.
I would do that. Straight pipe to mufflers. Keep it stock sizing.. unless you plan on going turbo you don't really need to have a larger pipe.

I've heard that an x-pipe does help just the way the manages the air flow. I don't know the details but I know I read it before.. Search the exhaust subforum for reviews and answers
Old 07-27-09, 10:29 PM
QwkSC
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

17410 is a catalytic converter btw,
An ideal setup for non vvt-i 1uz's would be true duals with an x-pipe in 2.25 piping.

Cut at both stock y-pipes and have a muffler shop fabricate some straight pipes with a crossover, deleting the center cat. this is where the biggest gains will be had. For extra volume you might want to delete the resonators.

RedPhoenix has the ideal exhaust:

Old 07-27-09, 10:34 PM
Rex Ruthor
Driver

Just drop the distal mufflers and it will sound down right mean. Think of it as an axle back system. The first set of reflective resonators do enough sound pulse dampening. if you like it, you can always put straight pipes from the rear flanges out through the rear bumper cutouts through the tailpipes of your choice. Don't believe me, believe the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qW02-9NiYk
Old 07-27-09, 11:13 PM
KrazeMatik
Lexus Test Driver

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAdi_qVysTk

Last edited by KrazeMatik; 07-27-09 at 11:16 PM.
Old 07-27-09, 11:19 PM
captainsc
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by QwkSC
17410 is a catalytic converter btw,
An ideal setup for non vvt-i 1uz's would be true duals with an x-pipe in 2.25 piping.

Cut at both stock y-pipes and have a muffler shop fabricate some straight pipes with a crossover, deleting the center cat. this is where the biggest gains will be had. For extra volume you might want to delete the resonators.

RedPhoenix has the ideal exhaust:

I know Matt and I am modeling my exhaust after his tomorrow! I'm going to 2.5" though. Look up my video on youtube, (search SC400 exhaust delete) if you want to hear what the SC400 sounds like with just one resonator, sounds like a beast but is too open. The X-pipe helps with back pressure and without any mufflers and minus two resonators it has none which kills power.
Old 07-28-09, 12:05 AM
ShiftyD2k
Lead Lap

My Car had deleted resonators when i bought it.. it nice sound deep tone.
Old 07-28-09, 06:48 AM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I just recently deleted the front pipes and the 3 resonators, and kept the stock mufflers, and it sounds magnificient. I get alot of compliments on it. Its up to you on what type of sound and loudness you will get. But deleting the resonators will HELP bring out the sound in the V-8. I know this because I wanted to see what kind of difference it would be by just deleting the cats and keeping everything stock. I wanted more, then I deleted the resonators.. Glad I did! Good luck and keep us posted on what you decided.

Quick Reply: Resonators Anyone?