Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

deceleration noise

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-09, 07:43 PM
grindin8o8
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default deceleration noise

when i hit 2000+rpm and decelerate i hear this rattling,loose,sputtering sound on the driver side. any one know what the problem could be? i also have a very bad gassy,stink smell. could the problem be related?
Old 07-26-09, 07:45 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

Catalytic Converter is deteriorated.
Old 07-26-09, 07:49 PM
grindin8o8
Pole Position

Originally Posted by GS4_Fiend
Catalytic Converter is deteriorated.
any way to fix that other then replacing it? and how do i inspect it?
Old 07-26-09, 08:11 PM
SHOLEXMAN
Lexus Test Driver

^^^ Either you replace the catalytic converter or you weld in a new section of pipe. If you have to go in for emissions testing you won't pass cause the cat is not being used. Also if you car is a late 95 and up you have a post o2 sensor and you will have a continuous check engine light on. You are running rich like I mentioned before in another thread of yours which is causing this condition. To check it you can hit it with a rubber mallet or something that won't dent it in and if it sounds like there is stuff broken inside there is your answer.
Old 07-26-09, 08:20 PM
grindin8o8
Pole Position

Originally Posted by SHOLEXMAN
^^^ Either you replace the catalytic converter or you weld in a new section of pipe. If you have to go in for emissions testing you won't pass cause the cat is not being used. Also if you car is a late 95 and up you have a post o2 sensor and you will have a continuous check engine light on. You are running rich like I mentioned before in another thread of yours which is causing this condition. To check it you can hit it with a rubber mallet or something that won't dent it in and if it sounds like there is stuff broken inside there is your answer.
my car is a 93 sc400. would it still cause an cel? i guess i have lots to work on.
Old 07-26-09, 08:40 PM
sc-driver
Lexus Test Driver

The rattling noise is the moon roof. Mine makes that same noise and I remember a LONG time ago i had someone tell me it was the moon roof.
Old 07-26-09, 10:29 PM
grindin8o8
Pole Position

Originally Posted by sc-driver
The rattling noise is the moon roof. Mine makes that same noise and I remember a LONG time ago i had someone tell me it was the moon roof.
yeah i knew it was the moon roof. i'll research into it.
Old 07-27-09, 01:19 AM
AyDee
Driver

lol sc-driver

more lol at researching it - wow

its the cats - Igrindin8o8 i hope you know what the moonroof is
Old 07-27-09, 01:22 AM
grindin8o8
Pole Position

Originally Posted by AyDee
lol sc-driver

more lol at researching it - wow

its the cats - Igrindin8o8 i hope you know what the moonroof is
obviously i don't know what it is.
well i just want to know all the problems it could be. if you guys say it's the cats ill put that into consideration but i want to try to be sure as possible i won't just replace the cats right away because you guys say. that's why i try to see what else it could be. trying to narrow it down. i researched it but it's not enough information.
Old 07-27-09, 01:29 AM
AyDee
Driver

I have the same noise from my car, it is the catalytic converters -

The moon roof is the opening in the ceiling of ur car - it's a window right above your head.

Take it to a mechanic, pay him 59.99 and he will check every little screw in your car and will give you a diagnostic
Old 07-27-09, 02:27 AM
grindin8o8
Pole Position

Originally Posted by AyDee
I have the same noise from my car, it is the catalytic converters -

The moon roof is the opening in the ceiling of ur car - it's a window right above your head.

Take it to a mechanic, pay him 59.99 and he will check every little screw in your car and will give you a diagnostic
lol if you didn't catch the sarcasm in my first post. but yeah thanks for your help.

btw-if i decide not to replace my cat and just leave it as it is with the problem would it cause any damage or other problems to the car? financially it would be hard for me to get it replaced right now.

Last edited by grindin8o8; 07-27-09 at 03:09 AM.
Old 07-27-09, 05:58 AM
SHOLEXMAN
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by grindin8o8
Would it still cause an cel?
Hell yeah it would cause a check engine light cause it is now getting enogh flow or your o2's won't heat up fast enough.

Originally Posted by grindin8o8
btw-if i decide not to replace my cat and just leave it as it is with the problem would it cause any damage or other problems to the car?
Yeah it will cause damage to your motor it will run like garbage also. You will have horrible gas mileage and you will have Miata's handing your a$$ to you lol. If its rattleing and you don't want to take it to a shop use a cutting wheel and cut the bitach out or a recipricating saw. If your broke you shouldn't be driving a SC400 lol its not a Camry.
Old 07-27-09, 06:27 AM
grindin8o8
Pole Position

Hell yeah it would cause a check engine light cause it is now getting enogh flow or your o2's won't heat up fast enough.

Yeah it will cause damage to your motor it will run like garbage also. You will have horrible gas mileage and you will have Miata's handing your a$$ to you lol. If its rattleing and you don't want to take it to a shop use a cutting wheel and cut the bitach out or a recipricating saw. If your broke you shouldn't be driving a SC400 lol its not a Camry.

lol im broke right now not always. i'll see what i can do with the cats. so you saying it's not needed? i thought it was illegal if you had your cats removed?
Old 07-27-09, 09:52 AM
SHOLEXMAN
Lexus Test Driver

Its not needed only for emission garbage. It is illegal ,but if you don't have testing for emissions of have a loud exhaust you won't have a issue. I don't run cats and I haven't had any issues.
Old 07-27-09, 03:44 PM
grindin8o8
Pole Position

Its not needed only for emission garbage. It is illegal ,but if you don't have testing for emissions of have a loud exhaust you won't have a issue. I don't run cats and I haven't had any issues.
is there any diy's on how to delete the cats? any proper way of doing it? how is yours modified? im in hawaii so i dont think we have emission test.

Quick Reply: deceleration noise