Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

DIY manual for 2jzgte motor swap??

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-09, 01:04 PM
rotaz
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default DIY manual for 2jzgte motor swap??

I'm looking into doing a 2j swap into a SC so that I can build knowledge and know how to fix everything on my car and I think this would be a great opportunity to do so.

My mechanic skill are a little above novice so I am looking for a step-by-step on how to do this swap. Do you have to be an extremely skillful mechanic to do this or can anyone that has basic car knowledge do this swap with the help of a friend?

I would also, like to build the motor from scratch like how forum members wanganstyl and slappy96 did.

Can anyone point me to literature or if someone has done a DIY manual on this, can you please direct me to it?

I've searched for this already, but couldn't find what I was looking for.

Thanks in advance.
Old 07-16-09, 02:02 PM
stockhatch
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The swap itself shouldn't be too bad aside from wiring. Its pretty much a bolt in kind of thing. You need to know what parts cross reference etc. There is enough info complied on this site to do everything except maybe the wiring. With that said, there used to be a manual available called "The Ultimate Lexus" I think. Google it and you may still be able to get a copy, but I don't think it covers JDM wiring. I think its pretty much just for the USDM Supra harness.

Dont attempt to build the engine yourself as surface prep and tolerances are beyond the ability of one without the necessary measuring and machining tools. IMHO
Old 07-16-09, 04:37 PM
OneJay
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You don't have to be an to do the swap. I swapped a 1jz into mine and the hardest thing I had done prior was an oil change, and springs. The 2jz is a little more involved though. If it's from an Aristo, you have to switch out a number of things such as the oil pan, water pump, and send the wiring in to be done. If you find one with low enough miles, usually a good tune up will get your engine performing almost as good as new! Good luck!
Old 07-18-09, 12:54 PM
wanganstyl
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if you need a DIY manual to do this swap, you probably shouldnt be DIY-ing this swap...

if you are very handy, a Toyota service manual + phil whatever his name's s300+usd mk4 supra swap CD will be something you need to get your hands on.

I started learning how to swap cars by reading the factory service manual for small things - brake service, clutch service, etc

I progressed to hybridization after I got the hang of how to do the simple things-

the info is all there for you, free - you just need to collect it in a manner that makes sense to you

My wiring faq chart is free and posted on this forum. I rebuilt my engine with the free advice of my local Toyota dealer parts department + the Toyota Factory service manual (which I found online for no charge)