Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Why a 1JZ-GTE?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-09, 09:02 PM
Matador
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Twan0690
This thread is really starting to nudge me over to the 1jz side
haha, no need to take sides. All three options are very viable, very fun, and will be money pits once you get hooked
Old 06-30-09, 09:06 PM
nate579
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Matador
haha, no need to take sides. All three options are very viable, very fun, and will be money pits once you get hooked

Amen, brotha. I must say my 1jz has been more reliable then the 2002 Acura TLS I had with 3 blown transmission. The SC left me stranded only once in the 2 years I had it and that was because of a loose battery cable. I am trying not to modify mine to the point of unreliabilty.
Old 06-30-09, 09:55 PM
SEIDO
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Hmm.. Well Im definitely more comfortable now; and I think I'll go'head and do the swap.
Especially 'cus the 1JZ is only around 60,000 Miles compared to my nearly 200,000 Miles currently.
If I can switch to single turbo in the future, & have 600Hp, while in the mean time be around 300+ more easily.. I can live with that; and I think the journey to 600 will still be worthwhile and fun.
Hell, my stock 2JZ-GE is fun, and I think its fast as sh-- honestly, compared to the asthmatic 4cyl. I used to drive.
I just want more of that exhilarating feeling, 'cus I like getting sucked into the back o' my seat, like "HOLY SH--!!!"

Cool.. 1JZ it is, then.

Thanks!
Old 07-01-09, 09:12 AM
qksl2
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We do quite a few both TT's and NA-T's. I would strongly suggest going with an NA-T unless you really don't like the way the distributor "looks". You'll get better performance, and have a lot more updated motor without having to mess with the wiring harness ordeal.

Plus, in a street sc, you want all the displacement you can get if you want to keep up with other punchy cars.

Ian
Old 07-01-09, 09:30 AM
DIrEctQL
Chicago Lexus Club Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Twan0690
This thread is really starting to nudge me over to the 1jz side
... because?
Old 07-01-09, 10:01 AM
joe diego
Lexus Test Driver

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Have a 2jz-ge with 180k and I'm going na-t. Living in Cali is probably the reason. Also, I really don't care about how people think na-T engines look.
Old 07-01-09, 10:21 AM
sc250tt
Lexus Champion

Lol another 1j vs 2j thread....ive owner both 1j and 2j engines and the reason i kept my 1j because of the gas milage and the smooth rev happy powerband. You can build a 1j to put out more power than a 2j .it all depends on how deep your pockets are. either way you look at it they are both great motors for 450-700 hp on the stock block. its all depends on what you want to do. If you want to go na-t get a good block and a good ems and you should be good. Me personally would not boost a engine with that milage

Last edited by sc250tt; 07-01-09 at 10:24 AM.
Old 07-01-09, 10:34 AM
gadgetSC
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

You'll be going backwards with the 1jz swap. Less displacement for starters. Then, if you want more power(and You Will), you will end up doing what you should have from the start....switching over to a single turbo setup. Which means a new turbo/manifold and other supporting mods.
You should consider going NA-t, you'll have the option to build the way you want from the start, and your not stuck with the distributor if thats what your worried about. There are a few options as to replacing the distributor and going coil on plug ignition.
- gets more Ahhhs and Oooohs than NA-T
You haven't parket next to the right NA-t You can build your NA-t to look great too.
In the end it comes down to your budget and long term goals.
Old 07-01-09, 11:02 AM
Mr.NA_T
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by qksl2
We do quite a few both TT's and NA-T's. I would strongly suggest going with an NA-T unless you really don't like the way the distributor "looks". You'll get better performance, and have a lot more updated motor without having to mess with the wiring harness ordeal.

Plus, in a street sc, you want all the displacement you can get if you want to keep up with other punchy cars.

Ian
Same reason why I went NA-T....

Originally Posted by joe diego
Have a 2jz-ge with 180k and I'm going na-t. Living in Cali is probably the reason. Also, I really don't care about how people think na-T engines look.
I have 145K on my NA-T and making 362whp
and im happy with that...
Old 07-01-09, 12:07 PM
AD_SC3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by DIrEctQL
... because?
Because I don't plan to race 800hp street machines. I would be happy with between 350 and 400bhp. Plus I am a college student and though a 2jz would be nice through research people keep saying they end up spending thousands of dollars to get their motor running. Thanks Toyota for all the choices
Old 07-01-09, 12:13 PM
SEIDO
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by qksl2

Ian

Wait, I thought I could keep my displacement if I kept my 2J Block,
and do the 1.5JZ.. ??

Last edited by SEIDO; 07-01-09 at 12:29 PM.
Old 07-01-09, 07:04 PM
mcwop23
Driver

you need a 2jz-gte to do the 1.5JZ, the 2jz-ge won't work with the 1jz head or everyone would do that since the intake manifold is the main problem with the N/A motor.
Old 07-01-09, 07:12 PM
qksl2
Pole Position

Originally Posted by CityKnight
Wait, I thought I could keep my displacement if I kept my 2J Block,
and do the 1.5JZ.. ??
Yes sir with GTE pistons.

At that point you are better off doing a 2j GTE. You've got to swap the wiring harnesses either way, and the 2j head flows better than the 1j head, I don't care what anyone says. The 1.5jz was a "budget" combo, it isn't preferred due to better head flow of the 1jz like some suggest. It is an effective way to dump the dist. for coil packs and get a factory twin setup. Its a great motor, no question, but so is an NA-T when set up properly.

If you consider the costs of doing it right; tearing into the motor and getting a gasket kit, oil pump, water pump, new timing belt and tensioner, it ads up very quickly.

Ian

Last edited by qksl2; 07-01-09 at 07:16 PM.
Old 07-03-09, 07:36 PM
gdc5ind
Pole Position

I have a 1jzgte and i think i will end up building the 2jzge taht i have, slowly. meanwhile drive the **** out of this 1jzgte. I had to replace a lot of crap on this 1jzgte r154 engine kit i bought. So far its been turbos(single turbo now), radiator, ps pump, alternator, coil clips, etc i cant think of anymore. I am planning on swaping a lot of stuff over tho like the EMS, Hopfuly most of the fuel setup, turbo(buy larger housings for 2jzge) and obviously the FMIC(prolly build a intake to mate them up). The list goes on if your conscience of what your buying(in the fact taht you might be able to use it on both motors)
Old 07-03-09, 07:36 PM
nate579
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

1jz vs. 2jz, will it ever end? *Loves my 1jz* if engine blows I will get another one. 2jz has not crossed my mind since.

Quick Reply: Why a 1JZ-GTE?