Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Sudden rough idle & loss of power

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-09, 06:40 PM
V8drummer
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Sudden rough idle & loss of power

Alright so this is the first time I've had any engine issues with my SC400 and I've had it for 4 years.

When I came up to a stop sign today I could all of a sudden feel a really deep vibration, and I thought big truck had pulled up behind me, but then I realized it was my car. Now the exhaust sounds a lot deeper and I have no power. I could only get up to 25 up a hill. Any idea what the issue could be? It came out of nowhere really, and I don't know where to start looking.
Old 06-05-09, 06:53 PM
Ryeno
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First thing i want to know is how is the general maintenance of the car. Are the spark plugs good? are the plug wires good? What about the distrubotors/rotors? is their any oil in the pistion? Oil in the coolant or vise-vera. etc.
Old 06-05-09, 06:59 PM
QwkSC
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Ryeno
First thing i want to know is how is the general maintenance of the car. Are the spark plugs good? are the plug wires good? What about the distrubotors/rotors? is their any oil in the pistion? Oil in the coolant or vise-vera. etc.
sounds like something to do with spark. Plugs/wires/coil pack replaced recently?
Old 06-05-09, 07:03 PM
V8drummer
Advanced

It's probably about due for a tuneup. So you guys think doing plugs, wires, etc would be a good start, and might actually fix the problem?
Old 06-05-09, 07:11 PM
V8drummer
Advanced

I just started it back up, there's a heavy fuel smell as well, had no problem firing back up though.
Old 06-05-09, 07:35 PM
Ryeno
Banned

fuel smell means its running rich. From my experience a fuel pressure regulator failing might cause it to run rich. You might want to search running rich.
Old 06-05-09, 07:41 PM
dani
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by V8drummer
Alright so this is the first time I've had any engine issues with my SC400 and I've had it for 4 years.

When I came up to a stop sign today I could all of a sudden feel a really deep vibration, and I thought big truck had pulled up behind me, but then I realized it was my car. Now the exhaust sounds a lot deeper and I have no power. I could only get up to 25 up a hill. Any idea what the issue could be? It came out of nowhere really, and I don't know where to start looking.
yes i know what that is. one of the ignition coil give up. now you run on 4 cyl. 2 per each bank. find out what coil is and replace that. you have 2 coils on that engine.

let me know if that fix the problem
Old 06-05-09, 08:35 PM
V8drummer
Advanced

Originally Posted by Ryeno
fuel smell means its running rich. From my experience a fuel pressure regulator failing might cause it to run rich. You might want to search running rich.
Alright thanks, will check that out for sure. Doing some searching some people have had the same symptoms and was fixed by replacing the ignition coil. Is that any easy diy fix?
Old 06-05-09, 09:02 PM
Ryeno
Banned

yep its easy
Old 06-05-09, 09:38 PM
QwkSC
Instructor

I just started it back up, there's a heavy fuel smell as well, had no problem firing back up though.
Plug's might not be firing in a couple cylinders,
causing you to smell the unburned fuel and making it sound weird/idle low

just my guess
Old 06-05-09, 09:48 PM
V8drummer
Advanced

Anyone have a part number or recommendation for an ignition coil? I know I need to test them and figure out which one is bad as well.
Old 06-05-09, 10:04 PM
QwkSC
Instructor

Anyone have a part number or recommendation for an ignition coil? I know I need to test them and figure out which one is bad as well.
http://www.lextreme.com/parts/electrical.html
There U go,
Old 06-05-09, 10:20 PM
BigLSC4
Driver

Originally Posted by QwkSC
Plug's might not be firing in a couple cylinders,
causing you to smell the unburned fuel and making it sound weird/idle low

just my guess
+1

sounds exactly like you are running on few less cylinders. now is probably a good time to replace your spark plugs/wires, & coils
Old 06-06-09, 11:21 AM
V8drummer
Advanced

Yeah once I repalce the coils I plan on doing a general tuneup as well. What's the easiest way to figure out which ignition coil is the culprit. Unplugging one and starting the car?
Old 06-06-09, 12:40 PM
andrewdees
Rookie

Yeah unplug one coil and start the car. If the car runs the same, then you know you just unplugged your bad coil. If it doesnt start at all, you unplugged your good coil.

One of my coils went out 2 months ago and it had no power and there was a strong unburnt fuel smell. I replaced the passenger side coil with a new one from the dealer for $78. Good to go now.

Quick Reply: Sudden rough idle & loss of power