Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

A/C Leak (Freaking Somewhere)

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-09, 06:28 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Default A/C Leak (Freaking Somewhere)

I have had nothing but trouble with my system. I have taking it to 5 different shops on 4 different occasions, and I have heard "We got you going, heres your bill". They have changed it over to 134a on the first go around. Second replaced the fittings, and recharged it again. Third time, found evaporator core leaking... Forth time, compressor leaking around front seal, replaced compressor, expansion valve, and receiver/dryer.. Fifth time, well..... I cant freaking figure it out.
I have injected green dye, sealer, and one more can freon... Still losing it somewhere. I cant find it anywhere, with my light, and my weird looking dye glasses.... It stays maybe a week or so, then blowing hot air again.
All the A/C experts, please help... I cant spend no more frreaking money on this freaking problem... Any ideas? All the lights and switches seem to be working fine. Any Ideas?
Old 05-24-09, 07:14 PM
SC300_704
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

that sucks man, mines leaking to but one small can of 134a will last me a few months..
Old 05-24-09, 09:24 PM
RyanV
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have you replaced the o-rings at the 3 connections under/near the battery and maybe the condenser is leaking where the line attaches?
Old 05-24-09, 09:36 PM
Gspec
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you cant find the dye with your light, chances are its leaking at the evaporator inside the dash.
Old 05-24-09, 09:41 PM
topdog849
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

for fast leaks make a thick soap solution 1 cup laundry detergent powder 1 cup water and brush it on all the lines, especially the discharge lines(smaller diameter) look for bubbles while system is running. some shops carry an electronic leak detector capable of detecting 1oz. per year leaks. expensive machines but worth there weight in gold at a busy shop
Old 05-25-09, 08:32 AM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

I havent replaced those 3 orings under the battery. The only orings that I replaced was at evaporator core, high/low pressure lines, both sides, and the o-rings at the receiver/dryer. I let it sit overnight and it has leak down slowly. It still blows cold, but not at the same indication on the gauge. This freaking sux. I was afraid to keep removing the lines, and cause more leaks, if it wasnt already.

I am going to remove the passenger side headlight again, check the condensor, and the reciever/dryer again, and I will remove the top plastic tray and check the high side of the system. Lastly, I will remove the inner and under splash guard and check everything underneath.

One final question, the shop replaced the evaporator core, is this behind a black box, under the carpet, on the passenger side? I may pull back the carpet and check again... This has become a royal pain in the a@#. Why dont they make a fix all/do all PERMANANT A/C fix??

I will even try the soap solution as well. Thanks for all the feedback... Keep them coming. I will keep everyone posted.
Old 05-25-09, 09:15 AM
UZZ30-SC4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1992Lexus
I havent replaced those 3 orings under the battery. The only orings that I replaced was at evaporator core, high/low pressure lines, both sides, and the o-rings at the receiver/dryer. I let it sit overnight and it has leak down slowly. It still blows cold, but not at the same indication on the gauge. This freaking sux. I was afraid to keep removing the lines, and cause more leaks, if it wasnt already.

I am going to remove the passenger side headlight again, check the condensor, and the reciever/dryer again, and I will remove the top plastic tray and check the high side of the system. Lastly, I will remove the inner and under splash guard and check everything underneath.

One final question, the shop replaced the evaporator core, is this behind a black box, under the carpet, on the passenger side? I may pull back the carpet and check again... This has become a royal pain in the a@#. Why dont they make a fix all/do all PERMANANT A/C fix??

I will even try the soap solution as well. Thanks for all the feedback... Keep them coming. I will keep everyone posted.
brother, your chasing gremlins because they switched you to r134, it has physically smaller gas molecules making it easier to slip past worn orings. The higher pressures it tends to run at also compounds the situation, along with possibly having been the reason why your compressor failed.
Old 05-25-09, 10:04 AM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

What the freak now? I am going out to spend the rest of the afternoon under the car, when I should be spending it celebrating Memorial Day. Thanks for the help guys, anything further, please post, and I mean anything!
Old 05-25-09, 10:05 AM
Durrr
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you convert it to 134, or was it done before you owned the car? If you did it, they could have the old non-nitrile o-rings still in the system. What UZZ30 said is correct, when converting, you HAVE to replace all the o-rings in the system or else it will be for naught.
Old 05-25-09, 07:36 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

I paid the shop to convert it over. It had the R-12 fittings when purchased.

The good news is that its still sitting on the same amount that I put in yesterday. Sitting at 26 pounds. Still low, but blowing ice cold. I drove it today and when I got out, my glasses fogged up. The bad news is that I didnt find a leak no where. Maybe the sealer that I put in it yesterday, resolved it. Maybe not? I didnt find a leak with the dye no where. Will keep everyone posted...
Old 05-26-09, 06:07 AM
UZZ30-SC4
Lexus Test Driver

That sealer will gum up EVERYTHING, and is only temporarily stopping those old oring from leaking, replace oring bro. Your asking for more problems.
Old 05-26-09, 10:17 AM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Will do tomorrow, sounds like another DIY post with pictures. I will also recheck the pressure tomorrow and see where it goes from there. Thanks again for the help! One last question, can I check the evaporator core somehow, Without removing the traction control system?
Old 05-26-09, 01:26 PM
UZZ30-SC4
Lexus Test Driver

You can try a sniffer, or red dye in the oil, both arent very precise.
Old 05-26-09, 02:16 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Will try anything at this point. I appreciate all the advice UZZ30-SC4.
Old 05-26-09, 02:21 PM
UZZ30-SC4
Lexus Test Driver

No problem, just helpin out from my own experience.

Quick Reply: A/C Leak (Freaking Somewhere)