Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Soarer MT clutch engagement help

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-09, 12:12 PM
T70Soarer
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Soarer MT clutch engagement help

i have a 93 Soarer manual swapped about a year ago now that i have changed the transmission i am having issue. i do not know if they are normal or not but i need some help.

i am running a soarer r154 with mk3 master and mk3 slave.

at first i could not get the transmission to disengage from gear. meaning when its in first and the clutch is depressed nothing happened except i could watch the slave extend and retract minimally.

while depressing the clutch i pried the fork forward some and now that problem is no longer an issue. the clutch disengages properly as well as engages with no known issues. why would this happen? its as if the slave would not extend any further. and pedal feel was awful.

clutch was bled properly and no air bubble. the pedal does not stick or anything of that nature.

Now my current issue is when i crank the car in the air and its in neutral the wheels spin about 2-3mph on the speedo. when i depress the clutch then they stop. also when i release the clutch(still in neutral) i hear the clutch come in contact with the flywheel/pressure plate and they begin to move again. i can pull up the ebrake and its fine no wheel spin and no change in engine noice or load. and when i depress the clutch and go into gear i do not feel it engage or clunk as if the clutch was not fully disengaged.

i have changed the adjustment point on my pedals and bled the system about 12 times now. the travel in the slave in very minimal. im stumped.

so is it normal for the wheels to roll when in neutral and not on the ground? i wouldnt imagine so but i dunno. help me please
Old 02-01-09, 12:40 PM
2jzlex
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This all happen after you installed this new tranny yourself? Did you reinstall the clutch as well?
Old 02-01-09, 04:53 PM
craaaazzy
Lead Lap

bad slave?
Old 02-01-09, 07:17 PM
T70Soarer
Rookie

yes ive done several transmissions swaps and this is the first time ive encountered this problem. second transmission in this car alone. the slave and master are brand new along with the clutch.
Old 02-01-09, 11:12 PM
dejacky
Lexus Test Driver

which clutch are you using?
Old 02-01-09, 11:32 PM
2jzlex
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by T70Soarer
yes ive done several transmissions swaps and this is the first time ive encountered this problem. second transmission in this car alone. the slave and master are brand new along with the clutch.
Think you misunderstood what I was asking. In any case, I would check these things:

Make sure you installed your clutch disc in the right direction. A member here described symptoms very similar and installed his disc backwards, he was sure he did it right too.

It is possible that your master cylinder needs to be shimmed if you don't have any more room to adjust. Not really sure what you mean by the feel of the clutch is horrible as that could mean alot of things. But if it doesn't have any free travel whatsoever and it is adjusted out to the furthest point then you may have to shim it. If it does have 2-6" of free travel and then begins to build pressure then it can has to be either improperly bled/adjusted, screwed up something with the clutch install, or possible bad slave (highly unlikely if brand new but still happens). That's pretty much all it can be man.
Old 02-02-09, 11:56 AM
dejacky
Lexus Test Driver

Question

I'm experiencing a similar anomoly with my soarer 5 speed transmission and mkIII supra clutch setup. I'm using the Toyota Supra mkIII slave cylinder and am wondering if it is mismatched with our sc300 master cylinder some how?
Old 02-02-09, 01:01 PM
craaaazzy
Lead Lap

u guys sure u don't have the clutch disk on backwards?
Old 02-02-09, 02:07 PM
2jzlex
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by craaaazzy
u guys sure u don't have the clutch disk on backwards?
^^^^ make sure of this..... and yes there have been people that say that they have had to shim the SC300 master cylinder with aftermarket clutches and MKIII slaves. Mine worked perfectly with the RPS MAX Stage 3, but I installed the MKIII master cylinder. I had to adjust it after about a month, but flawless ever since.
Old 02-02-09, 02:47 PM
dejacky
Lexus Test Driver

Question

Originally Posted by 2jzlex
^^^^ make sure of this..... and yes there have been people that say that they have had to shim the SC300 master cylinder with aftermarket clutches and MKIII slaves. Mine worked perfectly with the RPS MAX Stage 3, but I installed the MKIII master cylinder. I had to adjust it after about a month, but flawless ever since.
What did you have to adjust after a month? Also, what do you guys mean by "shimming" the sc300 master cylinder?
Old 02-02-09, 03:31 PM
2jzlex
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by dejacky
What did you have to adjust after a month? Also, what do you guys mean by "shimming" the sc300 master cylinder?
The pedal adjustment. After a month or so things started to break in and I had to readjust the freeplay in the clutch pedal.

When I say shimming, I mean shimming. Lol. You have to actually open up the master cylinder and use washers or something of the sort to change how long or how short the piston can move in there. This will change how far the piston moves, therefore changing how much pressure is in the line, more pressure in the line and farther piston travel in the master cylinder means more piston travel in the slave cylinder. So by doing this the slave cylinder can push the clutch fork back farther....etc. etc. I know there's threads on here about doing it.
Old 02-02-09, 03:56 PM
dejacky
Lexus Test Driver

Question

Originally Posted by 2jzlex
The pedal adjustment. After a month or so things started to break in and I had to readjust the freeplay in the clutch pedal.

When I say shimming, I mean shimming. Lol. You have to actually open up the master cylinder and use washers or something of the sort to change how long or how short the piston can move in there. This will change how far the piston moves, therefore changing how much pressure is in the line, more pressure in the line and farther piston travel in the master cylinder means more piston travel in the slave cylinder. So by doing this the slave cylinder can push the clutch fork back farther....etc. etc. I know there's threads on here about doing it.
Ok, thanks for the explanation . Assuming this does indeed increase the push rod's traveled distance in the slave cylinder, how do you know if you're over-driving the pressure plate and pushing too far (thus damaging it over time)?

Last edited by dejacky; 02-02-09 at 04:10 PM.
Old 02-02-09, 04:43 PM
2jzlex
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by dejacky
Ok, thanks for the explanation . Assuming this does indeed increase the push rod's traveled distance in the slave cylinder, how do you know if you're over-driving the pressure plate and pushing too far (thus damaging it over time)?
Now you're asking things I have never done and can't comment on. Since I used the MKIII master it all works perfect but it was a real bit*h mounting it. It's very possible that that could happen and you could shorten the length of the slave cylinder considerably, or possibly even cause the piston to pop out in an extreme case. How much you can/should shim it I have never looked into but I would very cautious about it. Personally before I did anything of the sort, I would see if the maybe the piston and components from the MKIII could be swapped over into the SC3 master. Maybe it would be possible to order a rebuild kit and just slap it in and go? Before any of this though I would make definately sure that everything was installed correctly via TSRM, system was bled properly, and pedal adjustment is within spec. If those aren't right to begin with then you're pissin in the wind.
Old 02-26-09, 03:32 PM
lemmiewink
Lead Lap

Ok, So I have been hearing very harsh chattering from my rps max pressure plate with 6 puck clutch. The car has been barely running for 3 days so its been there since day 1.

Which way is the disk supposed to face!!! I followed the damn fsm and looked at how the stock disk faces and followed that. It says that the elevated spring side should face the front of the engine. Now I researched after having this problem and this guy says on mkiv.com

"On all aftermarket disks, the cone section faces the rear of the car. This is opposite of the stock disk shown in the picture. "

http://www.mkiv.com/techarticles/clutch/index.html

Of course this is for the 6spd, but now I'm double guessing whether or not I installed it right.

I've already torn out the exhaust and driveshaft and about to tackle the bellhousing bolts. I Just need to know which way the disk is supposed to face so I can either take the tranny out and turn it around, or just bolt everything back up again.
Old 03-21-09, 03:13 PM
dejacky
Lexus Test Driver

T70Soarer,
did you ever find the culprit to your problem? (I'm experiencing the same anomaly)

Quick Reply: Soarer MT clutch engagement help