Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Na-t OBDII O2 sensors... advice?

Old 12-13-08, 06:31 PM
CCC-TT
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Na-t OBDII O2 sensors... advice?

So ive started the na-t project and ran into a couple things that have got me wondering.
The car is a 1996 OBDII, non-vvti, sc300.
I see three O2 sensors, two were ran into the the stock exhaust manifold in the engine bay and then one is underneath the car and directly after the Catalytic converter. My question is which one do i plug into the downpipe and then what do i do with the two remaining sensors? I have an AEM UEGO wideband which i will be plugging into the downpipe as well, i read about using the wideband in place of the O2 sensors on my MAP ECU, if I were to do this, what would i have to do about the O2 sensor that will be plugged into the downpipe?

Old 12-13-08, 10:13 PM
OneJay
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I know a lot of people use O2 simulators to keep the car from throwing a code. Hope this helps....
Old 12-14-08, 05:37 AM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

run all 3 , trust me its the only way it will run right .. i tried different things then ended up putting front 2 into the down pipe and installed the rear into mid pipe

the rear you are going to need to run a 02 simulator for i am going to guess you have no cats but good luck finding the special bolt in bung i got lucky and found one

the front 2 will reach the down pipe , one mounted to the left on downpipe and the most forward one just remove the plastic clip that holds the harness to the alternator and the 02harness and 02 sensor will reach the downpipe dead on

now since i have gone aem standalone i dont use o2 sensors anymore

i would really like to buy downpipe and midepipe without the bungs in them

so

i have boostlogic 3in v banded downpipe with bungs already welded into them for wideband and the 2 o2 sensors and my boostlogic midpipe again 3in with the bolt in bung already welded in for the rear mounted 02 sensor

there was a guy on here selling the exact boostlogic stuff without the 02 sensor stuff for 300 shipped which i would like to buy so if you want top quality boostlogic stuff with 02 stuff already welded in 300 and you save lots of $$$$ and then i could buy his

boostlogic downpipe with flex joint new = 350 (flex joint very important to eliminate eng vibrations and allows for som movement to take stress away
from manifold)

boostlogic midpipe new = 200

bungs and bolt in bung = 80

welding bungs in = approx 100

so you are looking at least 650

lmk if interested and i can contact the other guy to see if he still has the stuff
Old 12-14-08, 11:36 AM
CCC-TT
Racer

what did you do in the beginning when it wasnt running right?
at the moment i have no more cash to devote to this project and i just need to get it on the road, I'll deal with perfecting it later.
Old 12-14-08, 04:02 PM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by CCC-TT
what did you do in the beginning when it wasnt running right?
at the moment i have no more cash to devote to this project and i just need to get it on the road, I'll deal with perfecting it later.
car will not run right without o2 sensor in stream

it will go into limp mode and bad things can happen

all 3 need to be in there

300 you get all my downpipe midpipe and o2 simulator for rear o2 to work
Old 12-14-08, 06:07 PM
madmax98
Instructor

Received 62 Likes on 46 Posts

If you have the fic you can run a simulated signal and completely discard the O2 sensors. I got a 98 vvt-t and so far i'm going in that directing. In fact, i was told on the IS forum that the car wouldn't run right if you keep the sensors because the ecu will consistently override the Piggy. You're obdii so the only difference between you and 98+ and IS300's is the VVT-I, EGR and returnless fuel system. Good luck and let us know what you gonna do...
Old 12-16-08, 04:44 PM
CCC-TT
Racer

I've been sitting around thinking about this and was chewing on the idea that i could possibly use the AEM wideband output as the signal for the stock o2 sensors by wiring that into the stock ecu's o2 sensor input... but i dont know how likely it is that this will work, any suggestions??
Old 12-16-08, 06:34 PM
madmax98
Instructor

Received 62 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by CCC-TT
I've been sitting around thinking about this and was chewing on the idea that i could possibly use the AEM wideband output as the signal for the stock o2 sensors by wiring that into the stock ecu's o2 sensor input... but i dont know how likely it is that this will work, any suggestions??
it depends on the unit, the innovate unit i have allows for this to be done. Hey, post a pic of your ecu and let you know if we have similar ones
Old 12-16-08, 06:49 PM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

stock ecu needs to see narrowband to work

bank and bank 2 needs to be present and 3 o2 needs to be instream but use o2 simulator if you have no cats

unplugging 02 only works short term for u have to keep resetting ecu or ends up just dumping fuel

theres a 10page thread on this on supraforums and i have been there done that

ecu trickery is exactly that trickery , what works today may not be the same tomm

all i can tell you adding the aem and getting tuned once made my car fun to drive every day with or without a/c on

starts the same , idles the same goes into boost the same

when was on map ecu fuel trims kept changing lt and short term

i rem once going into boost and seeing a/f in the 15's after that my mind was made up to go standalone

no trickery involved , nothing to relearn and change values in fact i dont even use o2 senors period for any feedback , just wideband ,coolant temp sen and iat temp sen
Old 01-02-09, 08:57 AM
CCC-TT
Racer

anybody have a wiring diagram for the o2 sensors or can tell me which of the 4 wires is what? Thanks guys
Old 01-03-09, 05:51 PM
CCC-TT
Racer

Just for reference purposes, the white wire is the signal, the blue wire is the heater +12v, and the two black wires are... the grounds

Just finished the o2 simulator install and it works great
here's where i got it:
http://www.o2simulator.com/index.php...products_id=10