Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Starter Going?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-08, 05:26 PM
Curry
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Starter Going?

Did a little searching around and it seems my starter is dying on me.

The last few days have been pretty cold over here and I went to start my car one morning. I turned the key and it gave me a click. Turned again and it started right up. The next day it took two clicks before it started.

I checked my wiring and my battery terminals they are fine. Its an optima yellow top. It holds the charge fine and my alt is also fine.

Funny thing is I parked next to my two buddies at work, one celica and one corolla. All three of us try to start our car after work and all you hear is single clicks coming from each car, and then they all start (it took two clicks tonight.) Its never more than 2 or 3 clicks.

You guys think its the starter?
Old 10-19-08, 08:23 PM
slappy96
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Based on experience it is not the starter. I have this happen about once every 1.5 years. LOL I've had my SC for 14 years. Anyway, if you're familiar with where the starter is, get a wire brush or sandpaper and a 1/4 inch rachet with a 12mm socket. Work your hand down the intake manifold until you can grab the starter. On the bottom of the starter is the 12mm bolt that secures the wire which provides power. Remove the bolt and sand (or wire brush) it. I also wire brush the bare connection point on the starter while the bolt is off. Reconnect and I'm about 98% sure you'll be pleased. Time and corrosion just degrades the electric power delivery to the amp hungry starter. All of this assumes your battery and ground are good. Works for me every time.
Old 10-19-08, 08:27 PM
JspecSC3
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How interesting. My brother's SC does the exact same thing. On a cold night or morning it will take 2-3 clicks to start. He's been letting it go on for a few months and now its taking up to 8-10 clicks. I didnt want to believe it was the starter failing either because the clicks were strong and consistent. I'll have to go ahead and check that power terminal on that starter.
Old 10-19-08, 08:40 PM
Curry
Lexus Champion

Sounds good, i'll give that a shot tomorrow and see what happens.
Old 10-21-08, 06:46 PM
Curry
Lexus Champion

Looks like it worked. Started right up this morning and it started right up after I got out of work. We'll see if it lasts as it gets colder. I was able to access it easier from under the car after I jacked it up.

Thanks!
Old 10-21-08, 09:22 PM
SHOLEXMAN
Lexus Test Driver

Wow I like that engineering like $2 for sandpaper pack and loosen the bolts and your done. Damn I wish everything like that was easy to fix crap.
Old 10-22-08, 06:25 AM
Curry
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SHOLEXMAN
Wow I like that engineering like $2 for sandpaper pack and loosen the bolts and your done. Damn I wish everything like that was easy to fix crap.
Tell me about it... It literally took 5 minutes
Old 10-22-08, 08:09 AM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

too bad this doesnt work with the 400 engines .
Old 10-22-08, 08:36 AM
94_soarer
Pole Position

well it didnt work out too well wit me at all....i did everything u said and i went to start the car and im still gettin the clickin noise....idk if its my battery thats died or if i jus need a all new starter.... but when i connect the battery and i turn the ignition on my gauges and led lights are way dimmer than usual...and same wit my headlights n taillights...wut do you guys think the issue is????
PLEASE HELP!!!!!!
Old 10-22-08, 10:42 AM
kyoso23
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by LiCelsior
too bad this doesnt work with the 400 engines .

Word. I had my starter replaced at the same time the timing belt and water pump were done simply because they're a known problem and a beotch to get at.
Old 10-22-08, 12:35 PM
slappy96
Lead Lap

Keep in mind that this is an indicator of wiring system age and degradation. I simply haven't had time to replace my own starter wire/negative/positive and ground wiring. I know it's corroded. I do it just to keep my car going as a daily driver, but fully realize this is not a long term fix. These starters just do not have a bad habit of croaking.

On that note, I'm all ears if anyone has a good (somewhat inexpensive) wiring kit recommendation to replace what I've listed above.
Old 10-22-08, 12:45 PM
poser714
Pole Position

the clicking sound is the starter. i had this same problem no to long ago it for about 4-5 months and i continued to drive the car around till it started getting really bad and cold.. it use to be one or two clicks then it started gettin worst as time progressed.. till it came to the point where i either had to keep continously cranking (up to 5+ mins or i got out and tapped the starter a few times) till the car started. i just got annoyed and changed the starter and ever since had no problems. you can clean the brushes as long as the starter keeps making the clicking noise which means its not totally dead but eventually the clicking will stop and you will need a new starter
Old 10-23-08, 02:41 PM
SC30096
Pole Position

do a search on starter contacts after many repeatedl starts the plunger starts to wear out the contact. if your mechanically inclined then you can change them out yourself, just have to order the parts. I had this problem last winter, took it into toyota and now it starts without hesitation. the old contacts were extremely worn and thin as a razor. this is why it is noticeably harder to start when the temperature drops. do yourself a favor and change it before it gets real cold because it really wasnt fun sitting in the car for 15 mins trying to start it when it was -40C.