Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

SC 400 With a 2jz swap

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-08, 03:33 PM
Freeway
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SC 400 With a 2jz swap

I am kinda new to this site and am looking into buying an sc400 with super charger already installed... but I am a little bit of an HP junky. I would like to do a 2jz motor instead and part out the charger and tranny but I hear that this is a near impossible task... I am graduating from the Honda game where I had a 450 HP del sol! But the crowd is a little outside of what I am into any more. I have a new home family and I just turned 27 so me being in a del sol as a toy is not really me anymore. ( my wife won't go anywhere near it ) So I am thinking of switchin up but can't bring mself to do it with out knowing I can get 500 WHP. Thanks for looking and let me know what you think... I also attached a pic of my del sol so you can see where I am coming from:

Old 08-06-08, 03:35 PM
OneJay
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Good looking Del Sol. I really like the wheels! I would grab up that 400 and see if the super charger grows on you. If not, its not too hard to swap in the 2jz. Good luck with whatever you do!
Old 08-06-08, 03:44 PM
Freeway
Driver School Candidate

Thanks... I really appreciate the comment. Is it true that the wiring Harness is different from the 300 to the 400? I was even thinking about doing the 1jz cause it is pretty much the same. I just don't want to grab the 400 and not be able to pull off the swap.

also why is it that the 400 (V8) dosen't make a lot of HP even boosted?!?! Is there one that someone has done with a single turbo??
Old 08-06-08, 03:54 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 335 Likes on 221 Posts

Old 08-06-08, 03:55 PM
StiCk3
Lexus Champion

an SC4 with a supercharger is very unique. There are a few members here who can comment on their own setups. What kind of supercharger is it? Centrifugal or Roots type?

Tons of info on the SC4 as well as a few overseas setups
www.lextreme.com
Old 08-06-08, 06:25 PM
Freeway
Driver School Candidate

Thanks! it is actually the roots type of blower.
Old 08-07-08, 08:17 AM
StiCk3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Freeway
Thanks! it is actually the roots type of blower.
No problem! Seeing it's a roots type check out ScottURNot's supercharger project here on the forums. He might chime in here too...
Old 08-07-08, 09:16 AM
DasBach
Lexus Test Driver

At this point in time, and after rather extensive study I have learned a great deal about both styles of engines; the JZ and the UZ. Forum members have posted a vast deal of knowledge on both engines, more so on the JZ. One name that comes to mind is a member named Bean who is extremely knowledgeable in pretty much anything engine related. Searching will do you great justice.

The V8 is by no means a weak engine, there are setups out there that can make a bullet proof motor good for the numbers that most of the JZ guys pull. The JZ (2JZGE/GTE) running 400-500 crank HP is common place now adays, as it handles it very well but with all FI applications its only as good as the tune.

When deciding to NA-T the GE or swap in the GTE you have to consider your over all power goals. If you plan on going big single, why pay for an almost identical engine (GTE) and remove the stock twins? I never really understood why people do this, unless they are going for seriously high HP applications.

I'm not going to further into any of the topics as its all been covered many times before. With ample funds and the right tune, either engine can be a very happy hood monster. You can either run a snail farm under the hood, or go roots style with a SC. I personally owned a 300 5 Speed, totaled it and bought a Sc400. I will honestly never go back to the JZ. I want to bring the life out of the UZ, and see what I can accomplish. 5 Speed swap, headers and full exhaust with a decent SC should wake some people up.

The only other component that really limits your set up is your transmission. The choices are the Automatic, W58 5 speed, R154 5 Speed, Getrag 6 Speed and sometimes the TH400 (American muscle tranny)

There are a lot of numbers out there for all of these transmissions, nothing is really set in stone as it depends on the age and mileage on your unit. Since most of the units for sale are aging by the day, a really fresh non abused transmission may be a difficult find. Here are some numbers, I am quoting kind of in the middle:

Automatics - I hear around 300 is safe without rebuild/reinforcing.
W58 - Approx 400 RWHP is normal. Seen more, seen less.
R154 - A lot of claims of 6-700 HP.
Getrag - Been brought up to 1K+ numerous times in the Supra.
TH400 - These things are like rocks. They are used in a lot of American muscle drag cars ranging from Novas to V8 conversion cars like RX7s and S14s Etc. Expect the same range as the Getrag.

Various high interest posters:

Super Chargers:
ScottURnot (6 Speed SC400, Supercharged via M90)
Blizzy (5 speed manual via R154 SC400, going centrifugal)
KC95SC400 (Centrifugal style supercharger)
SuprRunner (M90 water cooled setup)

Turbo
SC400TT (TT)
Lextreme (4.7 Ltr TT)

Those are just the SC400 guys. There are countless 1JZ and 2JZ turbo applications on this forum. Just search and you'll find plenty. I hope this helps.

-Matt.

Last edited by DasBach; 08-07-08 at 09:34 AM.
Old 08-07-08, 09:22 AM
LexusFTW
Lexus Test Driver

I dont understand why anyone would want to take the V8 out and put a 6 cylinder in

Seriously, the V8 has TWO more cylinders!!
Old 08-07-08, 12:40 PM
trufanatic
Lead Lap

Wink

Originally Posted by LexusFTW
I dont understand why anyone would want to take the V8 out and put a 6 cylinder in

yea but the addition of two turbo vastly make up for those missing cyclinders.
Old 08-07-08, 01:30 PM
Baoser
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Twin Turbo V8?...
Old 08-07-08, 01:36 PM
LexusFTW
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by trufanatic
yea but the addition of two turbo vastly make up for those missing cyclinders.
Put two turbos on the V8 then compare
Old 08-07-08, 02:34 PM
Lextreme
Lexus Champion

Save your headaches. If you want a SC with 2J, then just buy a SC with 2JZ swap already. If you have money to burn please send them my way.
Old 08-07-08, 02:52 PM
2jzlex
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Put two turbos on the V8 then compare

EXACTLY!! There is no replacement for displacement. I6's are weaksauce.
Old 08-07-08, 03:14 PM
StiCk3
Lexus Champion

Well, i think it has much more to do with the popularity differences between the two. The 2JZ has been around and its vast potential was unlocked by simply cranking up the boost. Then its vast use in racing platforms brought it even more popularity. People have been modding this engine for a while, so why stop?

The 1UZ really hasn't gotten as popular as the 2JZ so few people consider it for a performance platform. That doesn't mean it has potential though, there are 1UZ monsters out there, just not as commonplace as the 2JZ. Maybe people will one day get sick of the 2JZ and finally look into this budget V8. For now though, ill stick with my 2JZ

Quick Reply: SC 400 With a 2jz swap