Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

W58 weak points

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-08, 02:10 PM
jefferino
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry I was just asking lexusdream since he lives in same state as me. I have had a couple friends get killed by others driving erratically on highways. Just concern and I apologize for criticizing anyone's driving techniques and such. Just want to be sure no one gets hurt, either driving or on the same road.

Just be careful guys! I am not saying I am the angel driver but just please be careful!

As for 540whp on a w58 that is impressive! I also heard that I will prolong the life of my w58 by putting in my supra auto tt trd LSD diff in also? Not sure the truth of it all but hey anything that helps and also makes it not do a 1 wheel peel is good for me.
Old 07-06-08, 10:48 PM
TTSC3
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jefferino
Sorry I was just asking lexusdream since he lives in same state as me. I have had a couple friends get killed by others driving erratically on highways. Just concern and I apologize for criticizing anyone's driving techniques and such. Just want to be sure no one gets hurt, either driving or on the same road.

Just be careful guys! I am not saying I am the angel driver but just please be careful!

As for 540whp on a w58 that is impressive! I also heard that I will prolong the life of my w58 by putting in my supra auto tt trd LSD diff in also? Not sure the truth of it all but hey anything that helps and also makes it not do a 1 wheel peel is good for me.
No offense taken. If you don't launch the car or bang gears, it will be fine. High rpm shifts are probably a bit of a weakpoint due to the synchros, but as long as it's done on a limited basis, it'll be ok. You just drive a bit smarter, and more aware when you're pushing big power through it. Mine didn't even break, so I have a working W58 that I pulled out. I just knew it was a ticking time bomb, and felt it was best to go Getrag.
Old 07-07-08, 11:09 AM
StiCk3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by TTSC3
No offense taken. If you don't launch the car or bang gears, it will be fine. High rpm shifts are probably a bit of a weakpoint due to the synchros, but as long as it's done on a limited basis, it'll be ok. You just drive a bit smarter, and more aware when you're pushing big power through it. Mine didn't even break, so I have a working W58 that I pulled out. I just knew it was a ticking time bomb, and felt it was best to go Getrag.
500+ lb-ft of torque, might have been asking for trouble!! I'm wondering if a complete rebuild would be worth it some time down the line...
Old 07-07-08, 08:11 PM
TTSC3
Pole Position

Originally Posted by StiCk3
500+ lb-ft of torque, might have been asking for trouble!! I'm wondering if a complete rebuild would be worth it some time down the line...
I'm Getrag equipped now, so I could care less if it needs a rebuild now! I just wasn't able to have any fun with the car because I was always too worried about breaking the tranny, so I upgraded.
Old 07-08-08, 05:34 AM
thaimonkee
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by TTSC3
I'm Getrag equipped now, so I could care less if it needs a rebuild now! I just wasn't able to have any fun with the car because I was always too worried about breaking the tranny, so I upgraded.

thats kind of how i feel now. Im only at 508rwhp and 460ft/lbs torque and i get worried each time i open it up. I cant seem to find a decent r154 around...
Old 07-08-08, 08:31 AM
Cleanshots
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

twin turbo and a hard launch on slicks the first thing to blow is the input shaft
Old 07-08-08, 04:11 PM
Jay-Spec
Driver

Interesting info, so just to be clear the R154 is stronger than the W58 right? and ofcourse the v160/v161 is king.
Old 08-23-08, 02:12 AM
aka paco
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay-Spec
Interesting info, so just to be clear the R154 is stronger than the W58 right? and ofcourse the v160/v161 is king.

yes that's correct
Old 08-23-08, 06:12 PM
nate579
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Hmmm, I been banging gears for over a year on my W58 along with 3rd, 4th and 5th highway pulls and the transmission just ask for more. Kinda hoping it will fail so I can swap in a R154. But so far I don't see the lack of confidence in the W58...Yet.
Old 08-23-08, 10:03 PM
StiCk3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by nate579
Hmmm, I been banging gears for over a year on my W58 along with 3rd, 4th and 5th highway pulls and the transmission just ask for more. Kinda hoping it will fail so I can swap in a R154. But so far I don't see the lack of confidence in the W58...Yet.
My transmission does the same thing, but i've help remedy that problem with some royal purple 75W-140. It takes a little while for the tranny to smooth out after start up but it helps a lot. I would be a lot more confident if my synchros were rebuilt.
Old 08-24-08, 05:26 AM
aka paco
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

so a few of you guys have been fairly hard on your trans with no issues?

I just sold my 1jz auto SC, and bought a 5spd SC it's stock right now but i've been worrying about shifting hard like my trans is made of glass or something lol...
Old 08-25-08, 01:08 AM
93sc3005sp
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i feel the gear grab when shifting from first to second under 3k, and i hate that the w58 doesnt have a first gear synchro,but ive learned to adapt
Old 08-25-08, 07:42 AM
StiCk3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by aka paco
so a few of you guys have been fairly hard on your trans with no issues?

I just sold my 1jz auto SC, and bought a 5spd SC it's stock right now but i've been worrying about shifting hard like my trans is made of glass or something lol...
Well I do shift hard, but only about 10%. I'm pretty soft on the transmission otherwise but the other 154,000+ miles where i wasn't behind the wheel im not sure about. If you grandma the tranny while on the streets and only slam gears when you're tearing it up at the track you should get some more life out of your transmission.
Old 08-25-08, 08:10 AM
7MDriver
Driver School Candidate

Hi guys, I know how you feel about w58, I did a trany swap on my 91 supra turbo and my 3 gear syncros got very very weak as well, I am in the market for a sc and I want to also do a trany swap on it as well, but this time I am going to try r154, its much beefier trany and will hold more hp.
My question is since w58 will mate to 2jzge straight swap, will r154 and 2jzge be a straight forward swap as my w58 with 7mgte? The reason my trany was getting weak it had a 180k on it and it was time.

Thanks

Garen
Old 08-09-09, 10:28 PM
audi2nr
Lexus Test Driver

well hopefully this doesn't drive up the cost of the "weak w series" trannies but i just found out that peak performance makes a dogbox gear set for the w series........ no word on price yet but if its not crazy then this is an awesome alternative to the v160-161 and the getting pricer r154.... bottom of the page
http://www.peak-performance.net/content/view/220/88/

Quick Reply: W58 weak points