Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

My Mishimoto Radiator Experience

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-08, 06:34 AM
LSEGHATCH
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Mishimoto Radiator Experience

Well after reading this thread - https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...light=radiator - I went ahead and picked up the supra radiator for my sc300 with 1jz swap. I've used mishimoto products before and this is why I chose them to replace my hairline cracked stocker.

I don't know if it's because I have an sc300 platform, but I wasn't able to utilize the oem shroud. The radiator fits decent but is almost an 1" thicker than the stock unit which caused my shroud to hit my i/c piping. Another thing is the endtank mounts don't line up to factory so I will be fabing something up for that as well.

Probably should've went with a different company that made a radiator for an sc300. I'll have it out to day and let you know if it is sufficient in cooling without the use of the shroud.
Old 07-02-08, 05:14 PM
LSEGHATCH
Pole Position

Well, the car had no cooling problems on this humid 85* day.
Old 07-02-08, 05:18 PM
twizted
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I used a koyo 2jz radiator you have to mode it, but hey you gain a super stacked radiator!
Old 07-02-08, 06:54 PM
thaimonkee
Lead Lap

i used a koyo radiator on mine. the sc fan shroud doesnt fit .you have to get a gte fan shroud. Also the upper end brackets dont fit either.
Old 07-02-08, 07:06 PM
JDM
Lead Lap

^You have the bend the upper brackets down a bit.

LSEGHATCH, How much did your mishimoto radiator cost you?
Old 07-02-08, 07:18 PM
twizted
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by lexusdream
i used a koyo radiator on mine. the sc fan shroud doesnt fit .you have to get a gte fan shroud. Also the upper end brackets dont fit either.

I made my shroud fit, i have a 400 though...
Old 07-03-08, 04:44 AM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

i just installed a mishimoto in my sc00 na-t 2 weeks ago .. it fits fine .. all you have to do is trim the battery tray slightly to acc the width of the new rad , fab up a quick l shaped bracket to mount the shroud on the pass side for drivers side lines up, trim the bottom to fit bottom rad hose and drain ***** and again fab a quick little l shaped bracket to secure the bottom shroud and as far as height , dont bend the the brackets just flip the stock rubber upside down and it raises the rad to proper height and the top mount bracket just flatten out just a tad and it will mount up top just fine
Old 07-03-08, 05:33 AM
5sp_jzz30
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

i have been running my car without a shroud for about a year now. never had an overheating issue. i used my sc300 without the shroud for Drift Days too. 4 drift events total and not a single issue...knock on wood...

most of the time you have to modify the shroud to make it fit again.

i put in a mishimoto on my friends s13 convertible a few weeks ago and it needed some minor modifications too, even though i was said to be a direct drop in.
Old 07-05-08, 10:39 AM
Wreckless
Driver School Candidate

I just installed a Mishimoto for the TT Supra into the Aristo 2JZ-GTE swapped SC300 I'm sorting out for my Father. I encountered the exact same problems described above - I also trimmed the battery tray and fan shroud to fit the Mishi radiator and craftily bent the radiator brackets down to fit.
I didn't have any IC piping clearance issues, but its a damn tight fit. I'm running the stock Supra TT SMIC and some creative custom piping that uses mostly stock TT Supra piping.

But I'm really not happy with the upper radiator brackets - does anyone have a better solution than bending the OE brackets?
Old 07-05-08, 12:23 PM
thaimonkee
Lead Lap

i bent the brackets down a bit but theres still some play. I put squished a rubber hose inbetween the bracket and the radiator until i can com up with something else.
Old 07-05-08, 01:17 PM
socal300
Driver

has anyone tried the godspeed radiator???http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/GODSP...spagenameZWDVW
Old 07-06-08, 06:31 AM
LSEGHATCH
Pole Position

I got my radiator for $225 shipped. The Godspeeds are supposed to be just like the Mishimotos, I've never used them though.
Old 07-06-08, 08:40 AM
thaimonkee
Lead Lap

i forgot to mention i got a tt radiator and the shroud didnt fit. i think i need a tt fan shroud.
Old 07-06-08, 10:25 AM
RedPhoenix
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Its weird that mine lined up properly. Probably the slight differences from the 300 to the 400?

Either way, glad its in.
Old 11-02-09, 01:10 PM
dejacky
Lexus Test Driver

how does it flow compared to the Koyo radiators?

Quick Reply: My Mishimoto Radiator Experience