Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

What's the one electronic device to use that..........

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-08, 02:41 PM
madmax98
Instructor

Received 62 Likes on 46 Posts
Default What's the one electronic device to use that..........

I wanna lean out my AFR, but i also plan on going turbo in the near future, so what can i get to lean my AFR and still find a use for it when i go turbo, if any??
Old 06-04-08, 05:20 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Umm, a wideband... Try the AEM Uego.

To actually do it, that is a Catch 22. Either waste the money now on a standalone for little gain while you are not turbo, or else go cheap now with an SAFC2 which will be perfect for non-turbo, but when you get turbo would not really do the job you would need.

Jonny

Last edited by Dx3; 06-04-08 at 05:23 PM.
Old 06-04-08, 06:20 PM
madmax98
Instructor

I already have an EManage Blue from my last car, is it recommended to put it to use. And what options are you referring to when you say stand-alone? Thnx for the reply..
Old 06-04-08, 06:28 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by madmax98
I already have an EManage Blue from my last car, is it recommended to put it to use. And what options are you referring to when you say stand-alone? Thnx for the reply..
The last thing I heard was that the Emanage Blue did not pair well with the Toyota V8. This was several years ago so a lot might have changed since then. I don't know if you are running a 300 or 400...

An SAFC, Emanage is a piggyback. It takes overrides certain functions of your ECU. A standalone, however, replaces your entire ECU. I have an AEM in my car, but there are many options available. Depends on your budget...

AEM
Haltech
Motec etc.

Jonny
Old 06-04-08, 10:51 PM
SCoupe
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dx3
... go cheap now with an SAFC2 which will be perfect for non-turbo, but when you get turbo would not really do the job you would need.----Jonny
wtf? It sure as hell does a great job for me and many others. (Jonny doesn't like SAFC2's for turbos some odd reason, I think we've been on opposite side of this elsewhere, its all good, he's just very wrong imho )

Here goes. The Apexi SAFC2 (now updated as the Apexi Neo) is a great fuel piggy back and runing countless TURBO Supras and TURBO SC300's with na-t, 1jz and 2jzgte engines. The Apexi handled my bpu++ twins followed by my apu+ single and has worked flawlessly for two years delivering 410rwhp and 395 rwt. So what the hell is there to complain about? Nothing, it has survived dead batteries, spilled coffee and other stupid physical abuse where I installed it.

I recognize that you're probably covered with the emange blue. But to those others that reading this looking for ideas, trash talkin Apexi isn't going to stand when its flat out wrong and unwarranted. Anyone thinking of running Emanage look over this thread, maybe start at the last page because its wicked long: Greddy E-manage Ultimate?

I highly recommend the Apexi, it will work very well with a 2jzgte ecu as a piggy back controller and handle up to when ever the +/- 50% injector control is no longer valid, like on 800cc injectors, though I'd not go much past 700's. Regardless, the Apexi Neo at under $300 is a great way to start and many of us are very happy with it and its predeccessor, the SAFC2.

Here's what you can do with an SAFC2, T61, 16psi, crappy 91 oct CA pump gas, (btw, I'm still trying to figure how it did "not really do the job you would need" for my turbo)
Attached Thumbnails What's the one electronic device to use that..........-sc300-t.jpg  

Last edited by SCoupe; 06-05-08 at 04:55 AM.
Old 06-05-08, 06:04 AM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SCoupe
(Jonny doesn't like SAFC2's for turbos some odd reason, I think we've been on opposite side of this elsewhere, its all good, he's just very wrong imho )

So what the hell is there to complain about?

But to those others that reading this looking for ideas, trash talkin Apexi isn't going to stand when its flat out wrong and unwarranted.

I highly recommend the Apexi, it will work very well with a 2jzgte ecu as a piggy back controller and handle up to when ever the +/- 50% injector control is no longer valid, like on 800cc injectors, though I'd not go much past 700's. Regardless, the Apexi Neo at under $300 is a great way to start and many of us are very happy with it and its predeccessor, the SAFC2.

Here's what you can do with an SAFC2, T61, 16psi, crappy 91 oct CA pump gas, (btw, I'm still trying to figure how it did "not really do the job you would need" for my turbo)
OK, here goes. It is ok to disagree with someone, but I have to say a couple of things and then I will be on my way.

I don't dislike SAFC's - I had one on my SC400 and loved it. But on a turbo car it does not meet the requirements I need. I don't know of any big horsepower Supra's or SC300's that run SAFC and don't use a standalone.

I certainly did not trash talk it so I can only hope you weren't referring to me.

Never did I say the SAFC was bad, I just choose not to use it. I also use 880cc injectors so it is not an option for me regardless.

If you were to tune your car on your SAFC, then tune it on an AEM, I would imagine you would have far superior results with the AEM. I could be wrong, but that is my opinion - which I believe is what the OP was asking for.

Regards,
Jonny
Old 06-05-08, 04:28 PM
madmax98
Instructor

Thnx for the input guys... So,, i think i'm going to sell my emanage blue and get the SAFC till i go turbo, then i'll have to think of map or AEM or maybe get the Ultimate Emanage, what do you guys think??
Old 06-06-08, 03:26 AM
5spdSC300
Lead Lap

Im just wondering how the car even idles with 800cc injectors and stock ecu + safc?
Old 06-06-08, 09:33 AM
turbosw20
Pole Position

The safc2 is not ideal for anything over 550cc its a great piggy back for 440cc and 550cc its a cheap way to tune your car.
Old 06-19-08, 10:08 AM
SCoupe
Lexus Test Driver

I agree that AEM EMS ECU is superior to the Apexi SAFC2 and Neo. It better be, the AEM costs $1,750 freaking dollars and the Neo is $300. So then what are your goals? If you want a swaped SC to make near 500 hp, the Apexi will get you there. The AEM will tune in a more refined way controlling more variables and run in the 1,000+ hp levels once you put in the supporting mods.

So what was your goal, how much are you planning to spend on the required supporting mods?

I am very satisfied with my sub-500 rwhp SC300 that is tuned to the edge of my w58 tranny. Yesterday it made 430rwhp on a day of 98 degree hot weather on the worst gas in the county - California 91 octane at 17psi on a BAD coilpack that was misfiring.

Should mention that 700cc top feed Denso's were just installed. the 700cc injector totally elimate the lean out I had with the 550cc when tuned as posted in #5 above. If the injectors are maxed out it would not make any difference what engine management or piggy back you used, though the AEM would allow timing changes that might tweak out something more.

And I guess that is the point. A piggy back fuel controller can get you to near 500 hp and the limits of your oem fuel system and a w58 transmission. That's ahella bang for the buck. $300 vs $1,750.

Last edited by SCoupe; 06-19-08 at 10:17 AM.
Old 06-19-08, 10:17 AM
thaimonkee
Lead Lap

depends on what your gaols are going to be once you go turbo. I got an aem EMS. you find them used on SF for about 1200. I think aem is the best route. so many options with that unit.