Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.
View Poll Results: Which Turbo Company?
Turbonetics
4.76%
Garrett
38.10%
Precision
19.05%
Borg Warner
23.81%
Masterpower
0%
XSPower
0%
Theres more than whats listed.
14.29%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Turbo Manufacturers?????

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-08, 07:31 AM
FUZION
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo Manufacturers?????

Which company would you guys recommend? Im looking for something along the lines of 61mm-70mm w/ .70-a/r. Which turbos are priced better? I am also looking for the difference in the DBB and NON-DBB price wise. Also i rather have info from personal experience, thank you for your help.

Last edited by FUZION; 05-15-08 at 07:36 AM.
Old 05-15-08, 09:54 AM
qksl2
Pole Position

Do not get an ebay turbo. Borg warners are very reliable other than their largest frame turbos, which don't like high pressure ratio's. Obviously Garretts are great quality turbos. Turbonetics has had a mixed history but has a kickass warranty. PTE has random failures but is generally good. ITS doesn't stand behind their products at all. Masterpower is an old time supplier with mediocre performance but great reliability and longevity.

This is my opinion based on PERSONAL EXPERIENCE with all of these turbos. Be very careful not to listen to people who've had friends of friends or, worse, who have heard things from the internet....

Ian
Old 05-15-08, 10:56 AM
Gunnar
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I agree, I've heard great things about Turbonetics' warranty. I personally have a Precision, and don't have anything bad to say about it.
Old 05-15-08, 11:35 AM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've known a lot of people that have had to get their Precision unit repaired. I've heard Mitsubishi and Borg-warner turbos are built like tanks and do not die easily. The newer performance Borg Warner turbos are supposedly outdoing the equivalent Garretts (GT-series included).
Old 05-15-08, 11:37 AM
LexusFTW
Lexus Test Driver

Turbonetics...It has "turbo" in the name.
Old 05-15-08, 03:20 PM
qksl2
Pole Position

The ETT BW turbos are great, but there are downsides to them as opposed to the Garretts. However, the mitsu turbos are far from built like tanks, and will die very easily.

The smaller GT units are very delicate, especially to oil delivery.

Ian
Old 05-16-08, 06:47 AM
FUZION
Lexus Test Driver

As far as my set up goes im looking to make 400-500whp pump gas. Low
400's until i get my tranny upgrade, which will be either the v160 or the r154. if i wait till tax season im gonna get the v160 if the w58 holds that long.

Is the Dual ball Bearing option worth the extra money?

I'm running the AEM FIC unit, you guys recommend anything else in the same ball park as the aem unit? AEM EMS will come later as well.

What turbo size and options do you guys recommend for my set-up. This is a street car "toy", ill go to the track to see what shes capable of but thats it. Just a street car. The motor will remain stock bore and stroke, but will have aftermarket pistons within a year.
Old 05-18-08, 01:22 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

The newer 7 blade BWs are outspooling and outflowing the Garett GT series. From the data I've seen, there's NO advantage from a Garett over a BW other than claiming you have a DBB turbo (since the BWs are not, yet still spool faster and cost less).

I'm still waiting on the downsides of a BW; their performance line covers everything from smaller T2-style turbos up to the larger T6-style turbos.
Old 05-20-08, 11:34 AM
FUZION
Lexus Test Driver

Nyce...got Alink For The Bw Turbos?
Old 05-20-08, 08:48 PM
booja
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Borgs are suppose to be the great... i think the new GTR's even use borgs... sound great too... like t51r's

i had a precision before and it only lasted a year before it started smoking like crazy
Old 05-21-08, 09:13 AM
qksl2
Pole Position

BW's don't like the super high pressure ratio's that the large frame Garretts handle well. They also don't tend to spool quite as fast as they have heavier internals, but the housings flow very nicely. Otherwise, I really like them. Especially for the price.

Ian
Old 05-21-08, 10:22 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

The BW S362 should be good for what you need. I plan on going with one of those units. More info can be found on Supraforums.
Old 05-21-08, 12:54 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by qksl2
BW's don't like the super high pressure ratio's that the large frame Garretts handle well. They also don't tend to spool quite as fast as they have heavier internals, but the housings flow very nicely. Otherwise, I really like them. Especially for the price.

Ian
I have never heard that. The BWs spool FASTER than the GT turbos and make more power (due mainly to the 7blade compressor wheel). Where are you getting about the spool times? Every single other expert I've heard speak about them have said the exact opposite.
Old 05-21-08, 12:57 PM
FUZION
Lexus Test Driver

keep the info coming fellas
Old 05-21-08, 12:58 PM
FUZION
Lexus Test Driver

how do the bw's compare to the sp67dbb?

something in the same class not a hudge turbo of course that would be better.

Quick Reply: Turbo Manufacturers?????