Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

How I swapped an R154 into my SC400

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-09, 05:58 PM
TurboGS
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sure have.
Old 02-16-09, 08:00 AM
tonysc400
Pole Position

i would like to know which driveshaft is needed when you do a mk3 turbo tranny onto your 2jzgte...i am in the middle of gathering up the 5 speed parts myself...do anyone sell this driveshaft custom made already?
Old 02-19-10, 12:21 PM
Dirty SC
Pole Position

great write up im about to do the swap and this came in very handy
Old 10-03-10, 03:49 PM
SC51
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^ Very helpful thread. One question drift motion has 2 different master cylinders one for 86-90 and 91-92, just wondering which one you used.

Thanks
Old 04-12-11, 06:50 PM
SC YAA
Pole Position

OK i am confused you said to take off the spacer from behind the flex plate but then the next pick it is back on so do you use it or not?
Old 04-12-11, 08:07 PM
SC51
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^ You remove it
Old 04-12-11, 08:25 PM
SC YAA
Pole Position

Ok thx you
Old 04-18-11, 08:24 PM
skipjagger
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

thank you for the cromemoly flywheel!! i have been looking for one for a bit. im glad ther is one someone can vouge for i was a little nervous about buying one!
Old 05-01-11, 02:46 PM
Champen
Driver School Candidate

GREAT info on the "apparently" not so hard art of swapping from auto to man....

Especially on the "myths" about the swap... I hate reading swap threads written from people who "read" about it and havent done it... so great stuff!

I´m doing the same thing to my 1jzgte auto RHD sc300 and found ALOT of usefull info that I havent found anywhere else...

I think I´m all set on going ahead with the swap with the parts a have so far...

And just to get it clear ( for a bonehead Dane ).. You used the auto prop shaft and it fit both in lenght ? AND in the r154 box?
Old 05-02-11, 09:49 PM
skipjagger
Rookie

Originally Posted by Champen
GREAT info on the "apparently" not so hard art of swapping from auto to man....

Especially on the "myths" about the swap... I hate reading swap threads written from people who "read" about it and havent done it... so great stuff!

I´m doing the same thing to my 1jzgte auto RHD sc300 and found ALOT of usefull info that I havent found anywhere else...

I think I´m all set on going ahead with the swap with the parts a have so far...

And just to get it clear ( for a bonehead Dane ).. You used the auto prop shaft and it fit both in lenght ? AND in the r154 box?
the prop shaft fits but its not all the way in you can see it in one of his pictures a few other ppl have done it also i would be scared to make any kinda power through it. this is what he said about it-

Some things that should be mentioned. As of right now I am using the auto driveshaft from an SC300, it works ok and bolts up bolt it is slightly too short. I am going to have a custom one-piece made shortly. I lost the speedo sensor somewhere so I don't have a speedo right now and am looking for one asap but I do think that they use the same 3 pin sensor and works perfectly, I will try and confirm this whenever I get it in. The clutch I used is definately going to take some getting used to, and is the limit for daily driving for sure, but it is SO fun to drive, it feels like my own little racecar now, absolutly amazing.

driftmotion sells one piece driveshafts that are proper lenght for not too much im personally opting for that for my r 154 there not toooo bad in p[rice, alum 415$ steel 365$ i believe.

i wonder if you could just make a one inch spacer to bolt between the 2 halfs of the driveshaft and slot the holes for the center bearing to move it up so there will be more of the splined section enguaged???
Old 05-03-11, 02:06 AM
Champen
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by skipjagger
the prop shaft fits but its not all the way in you can see it in one of his pictures a few other ppl have done it also i would be scared to make any kinda power through it. this is what he said about it-

Some things that should be mentioned. As of right now I am using the auto driveshaft from an SC300, it works ok and bolts up bolt it is slightly too short. I am going to have a custom one-piece made shortly. I lost the speedo sensor somewhere so I don't have a speedo right now and am looking for one asap but I do think that they use the same 3 pin sensor and works perfectly, I will try and confirm this whenever I get it in. The clutch I used is definately going to take some getting used to, and is the limit for daily driving for sure, but it is SO fun to drive, it feels like my own little racecar now, absolutly amazing.

driftmotion sells one piece driveshafts that are proper lenght for not too much im personally opting for that for my r 154 there not toooo bad in p[rice, alum 415$ steel 365$ i believe.

i wonder if you could just make a one inch spacer to bolt between the 2 halfs of the driveshaft and slot the holes for the center bearing to move it up so there will be more of the splined section enguaged???

Ok.. well as long as the propshaft fits the r154 box, then I could get it done at a prop shop... Thanks..
Old 05-04-11, 11:35 AM
skipjagger
Rookie

Originally Posted by Champen
Ok.. well as long as the propshaft fits the r154 box, then I could get it done at a prop shop... Thanks..

sweet! good luck! if you dont mind, would post how much is costs to alter the driveshaft once you have it done?
Old 05-09-11, 01:09 AM
Champen
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by skipjagger
sweet! good luck! if you dont mind, would post how much is costs to alter the driveshaft once you have it done?

No sweat... I have a quote on about about 700 $ from a prop shop near me.. but will get back with pictures and the final price when made up... but i doubt that you can compare prices, as I live in Denmark
Old 11-06-11, 10:32 AM
stixsc300
Driver School Candidate

This help me out a lot wit my 5spd swap.... i thank you every time I drive my car, thanks again.....
Old 11-15-11, 02:35 PM
Reesetrict
Driver School Candidate

Question:

Does the driveshaft issue(slightly too short) occur on both sc300s and sc400s with a 2jzgte/R154 swap?

I have a swapped sc400 and just bought a full r154 swap kit that came with a DS made to work with "MKIV supras and SC300's". See my issue. I could just wait and see, but am curious if any of you swapped guys can save me the wonder and downtime of waiting for a new DS to be fabbed.

Quick Reply: How I swapped an R154 into my SC400