Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

How I swapped an R154 into my SC400

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-08, 06:52 PM
buchum
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Subscribed! That's what's up bro! That is what I'll be doing soon as I get the outside done first. i've been researching this for a good month or two. Even before I had my sc, Now everything is clear haha. Thanks for the time to do a write up.
Old 05-14-08, 07:02 PM
ScottURnot
Super Moderator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

First, I dont understand this? Was all this done to avoid buying a SC300 Manual brake pedal?

Originally Posted by Blizzy
You are bolting this R154 to a JZ not a UZ engine, correct?
Second, Same question.
Old 05-14-08, 07:21 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

yeah i think he wrote sc400 to imply what it started out as and that it was auto.

really nice write up. I already have the pedals so i guess im one step closer to the r154
Old 05-14-08, 08:53 PM
2jzlex
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ScottURnot
First, I dont understand this? Was all this done to avoid buying a SC300 Manual brake pedal?

Second, Same question.

Originally Posted by 2jzlex
This thread will be merged with the other thread that I had already started on swapping my R154 into an SC400 behind a 2jzgte.
Back of the 2jzgte
So was it worth it? Total cost of swap: $2,240. Amount of cusswords: 304. Having an amazing sexy clutch and 5 speed behind a singled 2jz: priceless.
Answered your question 3 times, thanks for reading.

As for your 2nd question, no. I don't really know why you don't understand the picture, its pretty self explanitory. If you use the stock cutout pattern, not only would your entire clutch pedal be slanted and cockeyed, but it would also make all of your pedals (assuming you did swap out the brake pedal) too close together, or for me anyways.

The brake pedal I will swap soon, but I am driving it now and am having no problems with clearance at all. With the way I have it setup now, they will all be evenly spaced apart.

Jon
Old 05-14-08, 09:13 PM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

Second, Same question.

i believe a 2jz. Check out the exhaust pipes. Single
Old 05-15-08, 12:36 AM
lemmiewink
Lead Lap

Good Job! When I read that the auto input shaft fit, I couldnt believe it. So I went into the garage and tested it and found you were right! Are you reusing your auto dshaft? Isn't the auto dshaft too short? I saw in the pics that I can see about a cm or two of the input shaft, is that ok?

Any ways, props and I wish I had half the space that you have to work on this. Also a lift would have been great too!!
Old 05-15-08, 01:50 AM
Blk97SC300
Lead Lap

nice work

hows everything running thus far?
Old 05-15-08, 04:23 AM
ScottURnot
Super Moderator

Answered your question 3 times, thanks for reading.

As for your 2nd question, no. I don't really know why you don't understand the picture, its pretty self explanitory. If you use the stock cutout pattern, not only would your entire clutch pedal be slanted and cockeyed, but it would also make all of your pedals (assuming you did swap out the brake pedal) too close together, or for me anyways.

The brake pedal I will swap soon, but I am driving it now and am having no problems with clearance at all. With the way I have it setup now, they will all be evenly spaced apart.

Jon
Sorry! I missed it some how! Merged threads dont always read well.

Last edited by ScottURnot; 05-15-08 at 06:38 AM.
Old 05-15-08, 06:06 AM
2jzlex
Lexus Test Driver

ScottURnot,

The reason you didnt have to do any of that is because you used an SC300 master cylinder and I used an MKIII master cylinder. YOU HAVE GOT TO LEARN TO READ MAN LOL. jk. Yeah after I did all that work I almost wish I would have waited and just found an SC300 master cylinder, but I got tired of looking and didn't want to pay the price of ones I did find.

blk97,

its running fantastic and I am loving the clutch even though it is killing my calf. After about a month I'm gonna look like some kind of freak cuz my left leg is going to be so much bigger than my right. rofl.

lemmiewink,
Yes I am reusing the SC300 d/s as of now, and it is a little too short, I am having a custom one made soon. But what I did was add a couple extra washer in the back and scooted it forward a little to take up the slack. When I tried to use the MKIII front halfshaft it made it too long. Keep in mine this is a 400 so that might be why it wasn't working perfectly. I was not the one that swapped the motor in and I'm not sure if they swapped the whole subframe or just did the mounts.

As for the shop, check this out. I am in colllege (OU) and can no way afford to rent, own, or purchase a shop right now. So one day this guy stops by and sees my bro's 2nd gen Rx7 and stopped and talked rotary with him for a bit. Come to find out hes this old extremely loaded ex biologist with only time and money left over from his retirement. So he offers to let just let me and my brother use his shop free and clear, and throws us the keys. Under the condition that I give him a ride when I was done. I had to pick my jaw up off the ground.

Jon

The old guy loves MG's, heres a few pics we took:

Old 05-15-08, 06:18 AM
sc250tt
Lexus Champion

Nice mg's .Ive worked with a couple mg's and triumph's .It was a pain to get in these car and im not even 6 feet .They are really fun cars though i wonder how it will react to a 1j .
Old 05-15-08, 06:37 AM
ScottURnot
Super Moderator

I see, Makes sense now. I get the non readers award in this thread.
Old 05-15-08, 07:29 AM
2jzlex
Lexus Test Driver

I see, Makes sense now. I get the non readers award in this thread.
Tell ya what Scott, sticky this thread and we will forgive you.
Old 05-20-08, 10:17 AM
2jzlex
Lexus Test Driver

Guys,

I've added/changed some things through out the thread. I added some part numbers for everthing you need to assymble the hub and T/O bearing (minus one oem part number). Also added a couple pics, etc.

After doing some research on the speedo sensor, I have also found out that the sensors out of a supra were all cable driven however, all of the sensors out of a Lexus 5 spd used that 3 pin connector and is electronic.
Old 05-20-08, 10:48 AM
32SC
Pit Crew

You're missing the clutch release bearing:
90363-45012- CLUTCH RELEASE HUB BEARING
Old 05-20-08, 11:01 AM
2jzlex
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 32SC
You're missing the clutch release bearing:
90363-45012- CLUTCH RELEASE HUB BEARING
That isn't the one I am talking about. The clutch release bearing and pilot bearing can both be purchased from your local auto parts store at a fraction of the price from the dealer, O'Riellys, AutoZone, Napa, etc. However the rest of the pieces are not so easily found. I should have mentioned all of this. The one I am missing is for the other plate washer, there are two, I only listed one.

Good to have the part number though incase anyone needs it, thanks 32SC.

Jon

Quick Reply: How I swapped an R154 into my SC400