Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

1jz piston rings

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-08, 12:30 PM
dinhnerz
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1jz piston rings

I'm looking for 1jzgte piston rings. I've found that 2jzgte rings may or may not work. No one has really confirm this.

Also i have found that 3sgte piston rings will also work as well since they are the same thickness and diameter. No one has confirm this either.

Does anyone know which piston rings I can use?
Old 07-29-22, 06:20 AM
S1K1
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1jzgte piston rings for low price.

Originally Posted by dinhnerz
I'm looking for 1jzgte piston rings. I've found that 2jzgte rings may or may not work. No one has really confirm this.

Also i have found that 3sgte piston rings will also work as well since they are the same thickness and diameter. No one has confirm this either.

Does anyone know which piston rings I can use?

1jzgte piston rings can be purchased here. Price is very low compared to other vendors. Piston rings made by NPR Japan so very good quality as well.

https://www.saxajdm.com/Toyota-1JZGT...Set-p427245989
Old 07-29-22, 08:24 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,221 Likes on 856 Posts

Originally Posted by S1K1
1jzgte piston rings can be purchased here. Price is very low compared to other vendors. Piston rings made by NPR Japan so very good quality as well.

https://www.saxajdm.com/Toyota-1JZGT...Set-p427245989
While the OP made this thread back in 2008 and probably isn't here any longer this is good detective work--thank you!

NPR is I believe the OEM supplier to Toyota for JZ piston rings and other engines. I think, for OEM-spec rebuilds, it will also be good to pull the part numbers for OEM Toyota Non-VVT-i and VVT-i 1JZ-GTE pistons along with the new OEM rings.

This is because factory pistons found in 1JZ-GTE Non-VVT-i, 1JZ-GTE VVT-i, 2JZ-GTE Non-VVT-i, 2JZ-GTE VVT-i and 2JZ-GE Non-VVT-i engines are all the same strong grade metallurgy using "hypereutectic" semi-forged process. It takes a very long time but in very high mileage cases there may be slight size differences between a brand new piston from one of these engines and one with 250k+ on them.

Further, Toyota for whatever reason doesn't offer any slight overbore size of these pistons-- only the stock piston bore diameter.

As long as the JZ block being rebuilt has cylinder walls that have not gone out of spec from the original bore just rebuilding with a brand new set of OEM hypereutectic pistons and new NPR rings is usually perfectly fine to go back to near-new OEM tolerances.

This isn't an issue if someone is planning to do a full upgrade rebuild with forged rods and aftermarket forged 2618 pistons (available 4032 forged aftermarket pistons for JZ engines are slim to none) but for some just a refresh with the strong factory components is all they need or want.
Old 07-29-22, 09:17 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,708 Likes on 2,293 Posts

I used a set of NPR rings recently was slightly disappointed in them. They lacked the retaining wire on the oil control ring and the metal didn't seem as robust as original but I can't prove that.
Old 07-30-22, 02:38 AM
KahnBB6

Originally Posted by LeX2K
I used a set of NPR rings recently was slightly disappointed in them. They lacked the retaining wire on the oil control ring and the metal didn't seem as robust as original but I can't prove that.
On which engine did you use the NPR rings? I'm just curious. Lacking a feature of the OEM rings and their general strength doesn't sound like these are actually from an OEM supplier. Maybe my recollection wasn't right in thinking the OEM JZ piston rings were supplied to Toyota by NPR. I bought my piston rings from a dealer so they were OEM but now I am not so certain as to what branding I saw on the plastic shrink wrap they came in once I opened the Toyota-branded box.
Old 07-30-22, 01:39 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,708 Likes on 2,293 Posts

Originally Posted by KahnBB6
On which engine did you use the NPR rings? I'm just curious.
3S-GTE. It didn't necessarily need rings but the engine was torn down so the owner wanted fresh rings.
Lacking a feature of the OEM rings and their general strength doesn't sound like these are actually from an OEM supplier. Maybe my recollection wasn't right in thinking the OEM JZ piston rings were supplied to Toyota by NPR. I bought my piston rings from a dealer so they were OEM but now I am not so certain as to what branding I saw on the plastic shrink wrap they came in once I opened the Toyota-branded box.
This is often the difference between OEMs making parts for Toyota and the same manufacturer making parts for the open market. They may be the same part, improved (rare) or not quite the same. In other words OEMs make parts to Toyota specs, and parts to specs they deem good for aftermarket.

The rings in this case are NLA from Toyota.

The following users liked this post:
KahnBB6 (07-31-22)
Old 07-31-22, 10:42 PM
KahnBB6

Originally Posted by LeX2K
3S-GTE. It didn't necessarily need rings but the engine was torn down so the owner wanted fresh rings.

This is often the difference between OEMs making parts for Toyota and the same manufacturer making parts for the open market. They may be the same part, improved (rare) or not quite the same. In other words OEMs make parts to Toyota specs, and parts to specs they deem good for aftermarket.

The rings in this case are NLA from Toyota.
This is very true and I have seen the evidence in some cases. Notably OEM Toyota branded 2JZ-GTE ignition coils vs Denso aftermarket versions of the same exact ignition coil. However in practice I have had no issue using the Denso variants. Same with A/C parts, alternators, etc.

However when it comes to internal parts of the engine's rotating assembly I'd be much more inclined to go OEM or high end stronger aftermarket.