Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Stopped Dead in my Tracks

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-08, 04:12 PM
ICONYQ
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Stopped Dead in my Tracks

Well I am pulling the engine apart and was about to have it all taken apart when 2 damn cam cap bolts were stripped. If I stripepd them I would be okay but they were stripped when I got in there. I tried some vice grips but they are stripped pretty bad...I am thinking I might have to drill them out I will have to do that tomorrow.

I wanted to drop the short block at the machine shop to look it over. I am so glad that I am doing this. There was multiple "issues" that I am running into that I will be cleaning up.

To list some:
Disti leaking
Fuel Injectors really loose
Intake couplings split underneath
no cam cover gasket...just sealant
Cam seal brake in half

Any ideas other than drilling it out for the two bolts. They are 10mm
Old 03-02-08, 04:34 PM
5sp_jzz30
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

a picture would help.

so is the bolt head stripped off and you cant remove the bolt to take the caps and cams off? or are the threads for the camshaft bolts stripped in the head?

if the thread is stripped its an easy fix with a heli-coil. if the bolt head is stripped then just take a welder and weld on an alen wrench to it and just twist it. that bolt can be scrapped and just buy a new one. both are quick easy fixes

good luck. let us know how it goes.
Old 03-02-08, 08:35 PM
motorheaddown
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

An auto parts store has sockets that are designed to remove stripped bolt heads. The sockets have sharp teeth in a reverse spiral pattern that bite into the bolt when trying to loosen it.

I removed a stripped motor mount bolt with no problem. Seeing that the cam cap bolts are only torqued to 14 ft/lbs, you should get it off with no problem.

-scott
Old 03-03-08, 08:26 AM
ICONYQ
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I HEART IRWIN

well after I posted I searched some online and stumbled on the extractor toold. The top of the bolt was rounded out so I tapped the extractor on the bolt, hit it with my impact and off it came. I will post a pic later for archive reasons.

I was thinking I was going to have to drill it out with a reverse bit, or I was also going to first try to dremel edges back on the top of the bolt and grab it again with the vice grips.

now to continue the breakdown...