Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Review my build - Questions and Answers with lots of pics

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-08, 06:15 PM
bhinkle50
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Review my build - Questions and Answers with lots of pics

So about 6 months ago I bought a 5spd SC and got to the business of buying parts. The plan was to have all the parts ready to go when my garage was finally built. Well, garage is entering it's final stages and I just got the pieces that set up the last pieces of my build.

Question - How much horsepower could I put down through the stock tranny?

Answer - go 6spd and it really won't matter

Question - What else do you need to do a 6spd swap?

Answer - a lower gear ratio rear end (like a tt 3.13), a 6spd drive shaft and drivers side axle shaft:

Question - What kind of clutch can I run that will be a good DD and have decent torque holding?

Answer - TRD Twin Plate. Didn't really do alot of research here, but the TT that was being parted had this a part of the deal. It's used but from the research I was able to do (backtracing sales through SF), I think it's got about 3k miles on it.

Question - How many sets of TT brakes do you need?

Answer - At least 2. I had already bought my full set of TT brakes front and rear, when I got the deal on the TT that was being parted. So now I have 2 full sets, including brand new front calipers. Also have Stoptech SS lines.

Question - What kind of wheels should I run?

Answer - Well, I couldn't make up my mind at all. I really just wanted some decent 5 spokes. I found these on SF and really just bought them cause they were a good deal. Going to be good enough till I get through the paint stage at least.

19" staggered Linea Sport Diablos w/ S03s and a decent amount of tread.

Question - What kind of suspension upgrades should I do?

Answer - New LCAs, new rear upper bushings, Diazen steering rack, and add these for good measure (sway bar set):

Question - What does the light output of the stock headlight suck?

Answer - Cause they don't have these ("e55" xenon retros):

So that's the end of the known answers. Next post is where I have some questions without answers.

Last edited by bhinkle50; 02-17-08 at 06:20 PM. Reason: broken link
Old 02-17-08, 06:18 PM
bhinkle50
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some answers on these things

Thanks for reading through my answers so far.

Need some input on these things:

1. A bolt on the getrag's slave cyl got sheared off somehow. It couldn't have been a part of the accident, it was most likely a careless error in removal or storage before shipping. I know this is repairable, but take a look and give me suggestions on what I should do:

2. When the suspension goes in, I plan on putting coilovers on. I've been waiting for 3 months for the HKS hipermax IIIs, but I'm getting to the point that I can't wait. EDIT - I just saw the GB in the vendor forum. I now have my coilovers coming in. I love CL and Carson

3. The deal I got on the parts from the TT came with the clutch that was installed in the car. It's an WOTM or AZ. It looks like there's some chipping on the clutch plate, so I'm not sure this is worth anything, but the pressure plate looks like an RPS 3200 so I think it's still good. I'm not the greatest with clutches, so what should I look for when I pull the pressure plate to see if it's good?

Pic of the clutch on trans:

I know these are some detailed questions that would probably do better with individual posts, but I wanted to put them in here where I'm showin off my stuff.

Last edited by bhinkle50; 02-17-08 at 07:26 PM. Reason: Ordered coilovers!!!