Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

what would causes this..

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-08, 11:53 PM
p3lon
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what would causes this..

ok. i had my alternator replace.couple of days ago. (when it was rainging). so i was driving my car (94 sc400) and i would get the battery like come on when i press on the gas. and would go off when the car would be under 1000 rpms. so i think it was over charging. i was less than a block away from my house when my lights head lights turn off and my wiper turn on and my dash board was light up and down. like if the power was going up and down. so i pull over and smoke came out from were the stereo sits on the center console.. under the ac control unit..so i let it sit for awhile. i was less than a block away. so left there for 2 hours. then i came back and turn on the car and took it home..slow. like just on idle. now i wanted to moved it to the other side of the block because of the street sweeper.. and my car is completely dead. what could of drain my battery..and what got fried because it smell like burn. is not my 7 inch tv i have in the center console or my air control unit. because i test them the same night and they work fine. what is in back of the radio.that could of got burn. any ideas. i will replace my alternator again battery..sorry for my grammar English is my second language..
Old 02-04-08, 12:33 AM
Kruso
Driver

You definitely have a bad positive grounding issue that sounds to be near the center console. I would be willing to bet it has to do with the in-dash installation. If you were to recharge the battery I'm sure it'll crank once more and allow you to move the car but more then likely at great cost. Every time you see that smoke, you're internal wiring is burning away. Eventually it'll get to the crucial system parts and render the car useless. Trouble shooting failed/ burnt wiring is one of the worst things to troubleshoot.

If you charge the battery and KNOW its good... look the MAIN fuse under the hood compartment as it should have blown ideally in this situation.

Kruso
Old 02-04-08, 12:39 AM
p3lon
Driver School Candidate

yeah. i am not using my car until i get the faulty alternator fix.. i am going to check my volts that my alternator is putting out when i change it. last time i check it i was going up to 16+ volts the more i press on the gas the more it got highers.. what is normal..
Old 02-04-08, 11:15 AM
rwdpwr
Rookie

if youre getting 16v from a multimeter your voltage is too high. Check your voltage regulator.