Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

LSD Install.

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-08, 11:42 PM
forcefed86
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LSD Install.

Took me about 6 hours. All in all a really easy swap . Car drives great no rear end noise etc... Limited slip works awesome. I was out drifting in the snow right after the install!

I had thought I was just getting the internal limited slip parts.But this is what arrived on my doorstep. A complete 3.76 LSD pumpkin out of a 95 auto supra! (sc300 rear is a 4.28)

I was stoked! and felt a little less ripped off by the $850 price tag.

So I unbolted the axles, drive shaft and the pumpkin on the stocker. Slid my tranny jack under the car and dropped the old pumpkin.

Then I swapped the companion flanges so the sc300 drive shaft would bolt up. (35mm deep socket)

I like how the LSD unit has cooling heat sinks on the bottom!

All cleaned up and ready to bolt back in!

Gotta hand it to toyota for the awesome design. That was so much less painful that I imagined!

Should see some nice MPG increases as well!

Ill keep U all posted.
Old 02-01-08, 11:52 PM
Belement
Driver

awesome install, no break in period? not a bad price IMO would like to do this to my 300 in the future. Drifting alot easier now?
Old 02-01-08, 11:59 PM
rwdpwr
Rookie

awesome, great to see some real mods goin on. happy drifting!
Old 02-02-08, 12:17 AM
forcefed86
Pole Position

The rear end had 60k on it. So I think it's broken in just fine!

Yes, once the tires break loose I have ALOT more control than I did.
Old 02-02-08, 01:43 AM
Sc dRifta
*****Do not buy from this member until further notice *****

someone loves harbor freight.... lol welcome to the world of 2WD where both wheels love traction!!!!!! congrats keep it on the track!!!!!!

btw if u unbolt the heat shield and slide it towards teh rear of the car u can access teh driveshaft center bearing and remove the 2 bolts to make the driveshaft connect and disconnect easier!!!!!!
Old 02-02-08, 08:58 AM
Biggu
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

hey looks good, i just ordered my Kaaz LSD so ill be doing the same thing here soon. except im swapping the internals completely out. just wondering what did you use to get the bolts out. they look like allen head bolts am i right?
Old 02-02-08, 09:03 AM
ScottURnot
Super Moderator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Nice! Good price too! That is the 4th time I have seen a pumpkin shipped in one of those plastic containers. LOL
Old 02-02-08, 09:13 AM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ScottURnot
That is the 4th time I have seen a pumpkin shipped in one of those plastic containers. LOL
Genius Never thought of shipping that way! Guess you just have to add $5 to shipping for the box.

Jonny
Old 02-02-08, 09:37 AM
ScottURnot
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Dx3
Genius Never thought of shipping that way! Guess you just have to add $5 to shipping for the box.

Jonny
Shipped 2 that way myself, I always cut a plywood bottom to make sure it wont break thru.
Old 02-02-08, 09:39 AM
forcefed86
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Sc dRifta
someone loves harbor freight.... lol welcome to the world of 2WD where both wheels love traction!!!!!! congrats keep it on the track!!!!!!

btw if u unbolt the heat shield and slide it towards teh rear of the car u can access teh driveshaft center bearing and remove the 2 bolts to make the driveshaft connect and disconnect easier!!!!!!

Harbor freight rocks! Thats some good info on the drive shaft. I dropped a teste or two pushing it up in there at an angle to get the drive shaft lined up.

Originally Posted by Biggu
hey looks good, i just ordered my Kaaz LSD so ill be doing the same thing here soon. except im swapping the internals completely out. just wondering what did you use to get the bolts out. they look like allen head bolts am i right?
Axles are 10mm allen socket. And theres 3 large allen heads that secure the back of the pumpkin. I'm not sure of the size I'll get back 2 U. It was the largest metric allen head in the set.

Originally Posted by ScottURnot
Nice! Good price too! That is the 4th time I have seen a pumpkin shipped in one of those plastic containers. LOL
The rubber bin was plastic wrapped to a crate and shipped through a trucking company. I had to pick it up becuause they couldn't get a semi through my neighborhood. Or so they claimed.
Old 02-02-08, 09:45 AM
ScottURnot
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by forcefed86
The rubber bin was plastic wrapped to a crate and shipped through a trucking company. I had to pick it up becuause they couldn't get a semi through my neighborhood. Or so they claimed.
I see, I have shipped them in the platic crate with it tape up with strapping tape. I use UPS and it costs about $75-90 depending on where they go.

The car is really making nice progress! Cant wait to see it run at the track this summer!
Old 02-04-08, 07:46 PM
Sc dRifta

axle shaft bolts are 10mm hex and the 3 rear bolts are 12mm hex

u can buy the entire hex set from 6mm-14mm at HARBOR FREIGHT FOR $8.99
Old 02-04-08, 07:48 PM
Sc dRifta

most freight delivery ppl use smaller trucks in urban areas... they are lying to you lol.
Old 02-04-08, 08:20 PM
5sp_jzz30
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

it took you 6 hours to swap diffs? that a long time. it takes me 1.5 hours doing it all on my own. then i again i have plenty of practive with removal/replacement/welding/installing....about 3 times

nice upgrade id love to have one in my car. i dont mind welded diff. i mind females getting in my car and then asking why it jerks. lol.
Old 02-05-08, 08:34 AM
Biggu
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

im getting ready to order a Kaaz today so ill be doing it here soon but i get to swap out the internals! Yay!!!

Quick Reply: LSD Install.