Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Appointment with the dealership

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-08, 09:35 PM
JDMCelsior
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Appointment with the dealership

Hey guys,
I have an appointment to take my sc400 to the dealership this coming Monday. I bought the car on Christmas eve and I haven't have the time to identify what's causing my engine light to come on. I tried reading the codes, but it would blink, blink and blink forever. there was never a pause and when I tried it again, it would not do anything.

The problem I'm having with the car is that when you step on the gas, it will not accelerate, it will build up speed very slowly. This happens when the engine light is on (most of the time), but if the light goes off all of the sudden, I step on the gas and the car goes, but the engine light would come on eventually (30 seconds or so). This is the reason I'm taking it to the dealership. I just want to know what exactly the problem is, so I can deal with it right away.

I have never taken my LS400 to the dealership, or any dealership for that matter. So, I wanted to know what exactly will the Lexus dealership do to my car in order to diagnose the problem and identify other areas of concern. I don't know, I just don't want to pay $96 for them to tell me that I need ignition wires and thats it. I want to make sure my $96 will be well spent.

Thanks for looking.
Old 01-06-08, 03:20 AM
TheMole
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

When the check engine light comes on, why don't you pull the code and see what the issue is?
Old 01-06-08, 05:01 AM
Lexucan
Lexucanafer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by sc300max
When the check engine light comes on, why don't you pull the code and see what the issue is?
I think he said he tried to pull the codes but it just kept blinking without any pauses, or didn't blink at all...
Old 01-06-08, 06:22 AM
TheMole
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexucan
I think he said he tried to pull the codes but it just kept blinking without any pauses, or didn't blink at all...
Your right, I missed that part.

One of the easiest things you can try is to reset the ecu if you haven't already. Here is a nice how-to: http://web.ace.net.au/soarer/ecu_reset.html
Old 01-06-08, 08:45 AM
JDMCelsior
Lead Lap

I've read numerous threads regarding similar problems. A few things came up, TPS, O2 Sensor, MAF, etc... I really don't want to be buying stuff randomely until I hit the problem. I guess going to the dealer is my safest bet in finding what exactly is the problem. I hope so.
Old 01-06-08, 08:55 AM
crx378
Pole Position

i would try another ecu first. maybe not buy one but just borrow it to test it in your car. that would be my first step. my ecu went bad to where when i tried to get the codes the light would just stay on solid no blinking, but when car was on with out jumper wire no check engine light came on. so call a buddy swap ecus and see what happens.
Old 01-06-08, 12:11 PM
JDMCelsior
Lead Lap

I wish I had a buddy with an sc400 around here. Well, I have an LS400 with the same engine, so I wonder if it would work??
Old 01-06-08, 05:43 PM
CCC-TT
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

i doubt it, but might as well give it a try and see what happens, not like it will hurt anything. The one issue may be the plugs could be different