Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

neck deep in the 5 speed swap

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-08, 04:34 PM
want sc300
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default neck deep in the 5 speed swap

so i conpleted the swap. and along the way i ran into a few problems that i did not plan for. master cylinder being bad, haveing to cut the shifter hole bigger so the tyranny fit right. and stupid problems that were caused by my lack of funds and verry short time to complete the swap. i hadent orignaly planed on using the oe used clutch and bearrings until i discovered that i did not have the money to pull that off. so i used all the badily worn parts just to get out of the shop and on the road. everything works but throwout bearing chirping and pressure plate makign all kinds of chatter.

now the main questions i have about the swap are when i pulled the auto flywheel off there was a spaceer there and i was not sure if i should use it again or not. using my best gess i did not use it. and i wonder if that could be causing the chatter.

and also why did i have to cut the tunnel i have never hered of any one doing that for this particular swap.

also the trans is leaking like a civ out of the bell housing def gear oil leaking tipicaly what seal or gasket do i need to replace. when i pull it apart again to do the clutch.

P.S. the time that i did get to drive it the fun factor went way up it is so much more fun to drive now.
Old 01-03-08, 05:29 PM
SC_DRIFTER
Pole Position

You won't need the automatic flex-plate spacer.

The tranny tunnel needs to be cut to accomodate(sp?) the shorter manual transmission. I have a short, incomplete how-to, for the swap. I also had to cut the tunnel and I'm positive that all others had to as well. ( http://www.slidestyle.net/SC300/SC300_swap.html )

And as far as the oil leaking from the bellhousing. My first assumption would be the rear main seal. Is it gear oil for sure? Or engine oil?
Old 01-04-08, 10:14 AM
want sc300
Rookie

thats funny cause i have prob read that thing several times and i saw nothing about the spacer or cutting.
also there are no specks on your page for torquing the flywheel and pressure plate. if you could please post that i would greatly appreciate it
and i still need a wiring digram or something that i can wire up for reverse lights.
Old 01-04-08, 10:17 AM
want sc300
Rookie

i am positive it is gear oil
what seals can be replace easily in the bell housing of the tranny.

dose any one know of any good short shifters.
Old 01-04-08, 05:20 PM
SC_DRIFTER
Pole Position

You know what....you're right. I could have swore I put a picture of that in there. And after searching through my hard drive I can't seem to find a picture. Hmm.....

For torque specs for the transmission you can find them here---> http://www.mkiv.com/manual/manualtt/...acement/c8.jpg

As far as wiring the reverse lights......... I haven't tackled that yet. I think there is a thread on it somewhere here on CL.
Old 01-05-08, 05:32 AM
Sc dRifta
*****Do not buy from this member until further notice *****

chatter is due to grease and dirt on that used clutch and flywheel.....

you dont need that spacer.

how did teh 5 speed shifter fit if u didnt cut that little squre hump right under your radio?
Old 01-05-08, 02:32 PM
crx378
Pole Position

haha i didnt bother with my reverse lights, i guess i should look into that when it warms back up.
Old 01-06-08, 02:40 PM
want sc300
Rookie

yea im not to worried about the reverse lights

but the chatter is not caused by dirt on the clutch/flywheel
because it is not chatter
its a noise that is there when the clutch pedel is released, and it stops when i push the pedel all the way down.
it also hase the throught squeeling so i know its not that

o by the way dont hate when i say this but there is no pilot bearing there right now. the one thing i forgot to get and did not have time at the shop i was at to got get one.