Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Pontiac tranny???

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-11, 07:55 PM
pourSc
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What happen to the discussion about the Ar5? Maybe some people dont realize this, but this will be a great step in the right direction if we as a whole can get this swap to work in our cars. Someone has been nice enough to give some information on what we need to start this swap.

Does anyone know what needs to be done about the transmission being a few inches longer. Does something need to be modified.

What is the solution to the gearing problem. I watched the video of the guy with the Gte swap in his pontiac. His gears were right on, because he is using the rear end that came with the car.

Come on guys. Lets make this work.
Old 07-20-11, 08:36 PM
VinSCe
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's probably due to the fact it's easier said than done. We need someone with a thick wallet and some good fabrication skills.

The AR5's first and second gears along with our rear-ends will actually hinder performance. In order for us to take full advantage of the AR5, figuring out how to get a Solstice rear-end on might be necessary. Otherwise we're just asking for useless first and second gears.

As of now, this is not something the general shade-tree mechanic can do during his spring break weekend. Unfortunately, this idea might take a while before it takes off.

Cross your fingers and hope for the best.
Old 07-20-11, 11:06 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

there is really no need to work in a solstice rear end, there are so many options of gears for our diffs from autos to manuals, turbo and n/a that will just drop in our housing and extend/shorten the gears.

the shifter position and trans mount will be the most interesting part of this swap. custom driveshaft is easy enough. also what bothers me is the S10 clutch i hope they make some strong enough to handle a big hp JZ.
For those just reading, we are more interested in the Colorado AR5 than the solstices.

found this here: http://members.shaw.ca/betterthanyoutoo/i4i5i6.htm

Five-Speed Manual Truck Transmission Aisin AR-5 (MA5)
LOW MAINTENANCE
The five-speed manual uses Esso 75W90 for lubrication. There is no maintenance required under normal operating conditions, although fluid changes are recommended for severe duty. A GM part number service oil is available from GM dealers.

OVERVIEW

To achieve car-like standards in running noise and shift quality, the proven Aisin AR-5 was selected for the new Chevrolet Colorado and GMC Canyon (GMT355) compact pickup truck line. This transmission will handle the torque output of the base and uplevel engines, which will reduce assembly and service complexity compared to the previous S-Series compact pickup line’s availability of two manual transmissions for base and uplevel engines.

The four-cylinder 4WD model with manual transmission of the previous compact pickup was discontinued in the early 1990s. The new transmission with the new Vortec 2800 inline four-cylinder engine allows an entry into that segment of the market.

The design and performance targets were supplied to Aisin by GM Powertrain to make the AR-5 a state-of-the-art manual light-duty transmission (New RPO MA5).

The Aisin AR-5 was selected as a starting point because of its characteristic low-noise levels during operation and the light shift feel and smooth gear engagement properties. The Aisin unit is used in competitive sport-utility applications, meeting car-like noise standards.

The Aisin five-speed transmission is a conventional two-axis manual gearbox, with a through shaft and a counter shaft, spaced 82 mm apart on-center. It is cast in aluminum, and weighs 107 pounds, which is 5 pounds heavier than the New Venture Gear 1500 (MW2) five-speed manual available in the previous compact pickup line. It has been certified for 225 lb. ft. of torque for use with the Vortec 3500 inline five-cylinder engine. The gear selector pattern is conventional for a five-speed manual transmission, with the reverse gate on the far right side and rearward. The shift lever connects directly to the top of the transmission.

Triple-cone synchronizers are used on first, second and third gears. These synchronizers have three friction surfaces, which increase their ability to transfer the flow of torque more smoothly from one gear to another. Synchronizers act as clutches to speed up or slow down the gearsets that are being shifted to, and greater friction area results in easier shifting for the driver. All of the friction surfaces on the synchronizer rings are brass. The ratios in the five-speed are widely spaced for versatile performance and efficiency, and are optimized for both the base inline four-cylinder and the uplevel inline five-cylinder engines. Both engines share the same ratios.

Last edited by Ali SC3; 07-20-11 at 11:23 PM.
Old 07-21-11, 11:05 AM
spoolxexo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The ratios aren't that far off, on paper it looks crazy, but the only crazy thing about it would be the acceleration!

Good stuff here, I got a MKIII R154 now but I will continue to advocate this instead. It's a no brainer really.
Old 07-21-11, 02:21 PM
INTIMAZY
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hmmmm tranny from a Colorado... Does this leave any possibility for a SC300 AWD?? One can only dream....
Old 07-21-11, 06:43 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by INTIMAZY
Hmmmm tranny from a Colorado... Does this leave any possibility for a SC300 AWD?? One can only dream....
I would be happy if someone attempted just 2wd soon with a colorado trans, on used part finder there are tons of these things all over and some are even cheaper than $600. Once the shifter is out of the way, there is no reason why everything else shouldn't work the same as other R154's.
Old 07-21-11, 08:32 PM
pourSc
Driver

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
I would be happy if someone attempted just 2wd soon with a colorado trans, on used part finder there are tons of these things all over and some are even cheaper than $600. Once the shifter is out of the way, there is no reason why everything else shouldn't work the same as other R154's.
I read some where that the AR5 in 8 inches longer than the MKIII R154. How do we shorten the gear box?

Why is the colorado the tranny to have?

Last edited by pourSc; 07-28-11 at 09:37 AM.
Old 07-22-11, 08:17 AM
SC51
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Interesting thread. I wish I had one of these tranny's laying around because I have a spare r154 completely taken apart, I wanted to see of the tail section would actually bolt up.

Now you guys are saying that it is 6 inches longer due to the tailshaft. That might actually make the shifter in a perfect location.

And as for the thoughts on the S10 clutch..that cant be right. If the spline of the shaft is already correct for our engines than we should be using mk3/1JZ clutch rite The S10 clutch thing just seems outta left field.
Old 07-22-11, 12:09 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

yeah not sure about the clutch. I would hope a mk3 one would work but they are making it sounds like it wont, not sure if splines are exactly the same.

the AR5 from the solstice is supossed to be the longest one, the MA5 (modified AR5)from the Colorado is supossed to be 2 inches shorter so yes putting it about 6 inches back from an r154, which has a possibility of pretty close to the right spot in the SC, or just a little too long.
also the output shaft on the colorado is different. something about slip vs not so the colorado could maybe even use a standard toyota gm combination. The solstice needs a new shaft as it is a different setup, although if there is no slip joint, that could be a good thing cause people have issues with the part leaking on the r154. too many unknowns here.
also the Colorado has a different third gear.
Old 07-24-11, 09:37 PM
pourSc
Driver

There is a theard on supra forums. Its a little more detail about why the s-10 clutch is needed. The splines are not the same as the toyota spline
Old 07-25-11, 05:14 AM
spoolxexo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I wouldn't be worried about the s-10 disk not holding power.

It's the Pressure plate that does that.

Since there is a guy with a 730hp 1JZ on the stock Pressure Plate and a sprung 6-puck, I would say its a minor issue.
Old 07-25-11, 12:55 PM
pourSc
Driver

Besides the gearing, what are the weak points with this swap. I am sure there are other pressure plates that can be used. I think that the issues are the shifter position, driveshaft, and rear diff selection.

What is the length of the MKIII 154? Will the longer length difference player a problem with going into the Sc?
Old 07-25-11, 02:06 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

the only problems are listed above, mainly:
shifter position.
driveshaft length and spline/flange (can be fixed with custom driveshaft).

the s10 clutch i guess is not a problem cause they have aftermarket options that are good enough. I didn't notice it uses the stock PP thats very interesting and good for the swap.
rear diff section is never a problem with most trans swap our cars have one of the stronger diffs toyota made with the a drop in lsd unit, no modifications needed there. the custom driveshaft helps join the solstice trans and the toyota diff.

I reread the solstice take 2 thread, and the OP says the colorado shifter position may be too far forward. it doesnt look that hard to put the r154 shift lever on though, but making the top cover will require some custom work.

Last edited by Ali SC3; 07-25-11 at 02:46 PM.
Old 07-26-11, 05:27 PM
pourSc
Driver

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
the only problems are listed above, mainly:
shifter position.
driveshaft length and spline/flange (can be fixed with custom driveshaft).

the s10 clutch i guess is not a problem cause they have aftermarket options that are good enough. I didn't notice it uses the stock PP thats very interesting and good for the swap.
rear diff section is never a problem with most trans swap our cars have one of the stronger diffs toyota made with the a drop in lsd unit, no modifications needed there. the custom driveshaft helps join the solstice trans and the toyota diff.

I reread the solstice take 2 thread, and the OP says the colorado shifter position may be too far forward. it doesnt look that hard to put the r154 shift lever on though, but making the top cover will require some custom work.
What do you mean by top cover?

I wonderingsince the gearing is different, what is an option with getting somthing more suitable for our vehicles? I understand that 1st through 3rd is shorteer that the MKIII R154.

I am going to do this swap. There is a guy here locally that is selling one for $300. I just dont want to have anythinng that we did not cover. If there is someone local that would like to lend a hand, you are more than welcome.
Old 07-26-11, 07:04 PM
addisonblc
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

interesting. i wanna see more.

Quick Reply: Pontiac tranny???