Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Pontiac tranny???

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-08, 08:19 AM
Blizzy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dumdumgreg
I did more digging here's are the gear ratios
(AR5 is the factory name for the Solstice r154)

AR5 - 3.753 2.26 1.37 1.00 0.729
R154 - 3.25 1.95 1.30 1.00 0.75

looks to me 1st and 2nd will go by super quick
Those gear ratios are likely to compensate for the four cylinders lack of low end torque. More gearing give the perception of more grunt down low with more torque multiplication through the transmission.

For one, I would think that modifying the MK3 R154 will always be the least expensive route to having a transmission capable of holding up to more extreme set ups.

For a turbo car, those gear ratios would be very unwelcome. You could probably cut whatever boost you are building in 1st and 2nd gear in half from the reduced engine load.
Old 08-12-08, 03:12 PM
shonuff53
Lead Lap

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

i recently stumbled upon this info that i thought was gold, Blizzy you mentioned modding the r154 would be cheaper. Just wondering if you could hook us up with info on this strong rebuild. I agree that some of those gear ratios aren't attractive for turbo cars but it seemed like it would be a good trade off for craping trannys. I think we should do a comparison in prices, for rebuilding and modifying a used solstice/sky tranny.
Old 08-12-08, 03:25 PM
cbrasian
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wow way to rez an old thread... those ratios would really suck on a turbo....you'd fly right through them i'll stick to my trans..... and rebuild it over doing that
Old 08-13-08, 06:05 PM
Jostar
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is a company that rebuilds R-154s & makes them stronger, Marlin Crawler is the company, They make a custom bearing plate due to the stock one flexing & destroying the thrust washer & taking out the bearing with it..
Plus he gives you warranty...
Old 08-14-08, 04:28 PM
shonuff53
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Jostar
There is a company that rebuilds R-154s & makes them stronger, Marlin Crawler is the company, They make a custom bearing plate due to the stock one flexing & destroying the thrust washer & taking out the bearing with it..
Plus he gives you warranty...
sweet, ill check it out.
Old 08-15-08, 01:19 PM
dumdumgreg
Lexus Test Driver

hmmm, not sure if this would work,
but if your rear pumpkin used a low gearing
it would help compensate for the low 1,2,3 gears
of course 4,5 would be a bit on the high side then
Old 10-21-09, 10:58 PM
scshinobi
Lexus Test Driver

bump anyone try popping the pontiac tranny in an SC?
Old 01-08-10, 10:00 AM
bryan767
Lexus Test Driver

rezzing an older thread. sorry, i want to do this swap.

over on supramania theres a thread of a guy (limequat) who put on into a 7m - thread name "AR5 Trans Take Two: The Solstice Solution"

and

over on supraforums the same guy (limequat) sheds some more light on what exactly it takes to put on onto his 7m - thread name "r154 and solstice"

parts:
7M Flywheel
32 x 15 x 10 pilot bearing (straight out of McMaster-Car)
Chevy S10 2.2 Centerforce Clutch Disk
Supra Clutch Housing
Supra Bellhousing - 1jz
Supra clutch slave, Throw Out bearing, etc.

its in his car and working. he did hit a snag with the speed sensor though. as for the length. the solstice's tranny stock shifter housing puts the shifter in the sc300 armrest / cup holder. SUPPOSIVLY the Colorado tranny is 6inches shorter then the solstice transmission.

Solstice transmission's shifter location is 8 inches longer then the w58
Colorados tranmission is 2inches longer then the w58

Gear ratios:
MA5 - 3.753 2.26 1.37 1.00 0.729 (Colorado/Canyon/Hummer H3)
MA5 - 3.753 2.26 1.51 1.00 0.729 (Solstice/Sky - 2007 and up)

Also, the colorado version has a normal GM slip-yoke which is less modification that needs to be done.

as for price, a new/used one can be had for AS LITTLE as 300-400 dollars - look up
car-part DOT com

Last edited by bryan767; 01-08-10 at 10:09 AM.
Old 01-08-10, 01:04 PM
YeA 2jZ
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

wow this is good info i was looking into info like this but with the R series off the toyta trucks. But i guess these ones fit and work better was there a resolution for the speed sensor ? Or is it the same Marlin Crawler speed sensor adaptor?

Last edited by YeA 2jZ; 01-08-10 at 01:09 PM.
Old 01-08-10, 02:47 PM
bryan767
Lexus Test Driver

ill search the threads. but there was and is a solution. it was a toyota camery speed sensor i believe. but ill check, so dont hold me to that answer

edit:

Direct quote by "Limequat"

"I wanted to post on using the Supra tailshaft, though I didn't go that way.

Using the supra housing would (pontentially) allow you to retain a stock speedo, abs, and remove the need for the custom shifter housing.
I spent many hours grinding, filing, and clearancing the supra housing to get it to fit over the Ar5 gear. It was all for not, as there is simply no way to get the tailshaft support bearing in the correct spot. Which is a bummer, because the tailhousing has to come off anyway to get that shifter lever thing on.

Furthmore, I'm left with only a passive sensor and mechanical speedo drive. Not to say it couldn't be machined, but I'd prefer to build a circuit than a custom speedo drive gear. I've purchased an electric speedo out a camry. I'll try to hack it into th supra cluster when the time comes."

this was the post about this matter, and it wasnt brought up again.

Last edited by bryan767; 01-08-10 at 03:05 PM.
Old 01-08-10, 03:08 PM
bryan767
Lexus Test Driver

heres another bit of information:

"front bearing retainer
The Supra retainer allows you to run the GTE pull-type clutch and provides a surface for the throwout bearing to slide on. Again, it's a direct bolt-on to the AR5 case. Thus concludes what it takes to bolt the AR5 to the 7M with the supra clutch.

Next is figuring out the shifter. As mentioned before, the Solstice has crazy mechanism to move the shifter back about 8 inches. This would put it in the glove box in a Supra. There are no off-the-shelf shifters that bolt to Aisin tailhousing and put the shifter in the normal location. A 2WD Colorado transmission may remedy this problem, but I think the shifter is too far forward. So I decided to mount the Supra shifter and housing to the Solstice tail.

First the tail has to come off so you can mount the R154 shift rod actuator thing."
Old 11-24-10, 01:41 PM
Sc4Jr24
Driver

Not to bring this back from the dead, but I was reading the thread about the g35 tranny and i remembered someone mentioning that the ar5 had the same bolt pattern as the r154. Has anyone got any updates on using this tranny. Like taking the r154 adapter for the 1uz to mount it.
Old 01-06-11, 09:36 PM
shonuff53
Lead Lap

so a long time ago I posted on here about rebuilding and yada yada everyone says that the R154 is the shiznit and is worth rebuilding but none of you have actually compared so..... after 2 R154's one of those being a rebuild with all marlin crawler goodies and new bearings and synchros etc etc I have a crap tranny that shifts like a model-A Ford.

Money.... 2k for a marlin rebuild assuming no gears or big parts are bad which I would bet my *** they are.. I think I'm gonna buy a used solstice tranny under 1k use my R154 parts and some other parts which will still be way cheaper than fixing my R154... with my 3.9 rear I doubt it will be that bad 1st and 2nd are already tire wasting gears with my power anyways and this is also coming from a person that has a T-56 adapter look for it soon forsale on the forums.
Old 01-07-11, 08:54 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

I thought the internals were not as strong, but i was thinking about the 6 speed asin trans people were talking about way back.
the 5 speed looks very interesting actually.
I think this trans might work well with a lower ratio rear end, that would help balance out 1st-3rd gears and 4th and above will become longer and give better economy. that could be an all around benefit actually over a stock 5 speed. gotta open up the rear at some point anyways to put an lsd in might as well lower the gear.

Last edited by Ali SC3; 01-07-11 at 08:25 PM.
Old 07-12-11, 08:56 AM
spoolxexo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Bring it back!

This is too good to waste a bunch of money on a "Used" R154 with the "Drift Tax" administered.

From what I have gathered:

AR5 Trans- Colorado is shorter that might make it more bolt in friendly in regards tot he shifter.

AZ6 Trans- Found in a lot of different cars (Eg, S2000, RX-8, CTS Cadillac, Miata)

Can the case be split and a JZ bellhousing bolt up to this?

Quick Reply: Pontiac tranny???