Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

HOW loud is TOO loud???

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-07, 06:28 PM
lexSCus
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HOW loud is TOO loud???

so i've heard an SC300 with no mufflers but it still had resonators, very nice sound. now, my resonators are already gone and i was thinking about removing the mufflers and getting some mean *** tips. anyone have a sound clip??? or know how loud (distance or dB) it really is?? i dont care WHO hears me at WOT, but when im driving under 3k RPMs i dont want to bust eardrums

--mods move this thread if i put it in the wrong spot =) SRY!
Old 12-09-07, 07:18 PM
Luke_in_SD
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It would sound like sheit unless your car is turbo

Last edited by Luke_in_SD; 12-09-07 at 08:20 PM.
Old 12-09-07, 07:27 PM
na4now
Lexus Test Driver

I agree. Wouldnt sound good at all.
Old 12-09-07, 07:34 PM
Kramer
Instructor

Received 121 Likes on 86 Posts

Dont do it.................
Old 12-10-07, 09:49 AM
surferlife
Driver

Default do the 2jz-gtte swap

I have a buddy who did this to his sc300. Trust me. This is not intended to be personal, but, if you think it will sound like a supra, then you would be mistaken. Yes maybe a non turbo but those sound like sheite as well. Also, the desible limit in CA is 100 until 11pm, and after that, some cops will pull you over just for fun, even if your car is under 100. I dont know about you but i would rather have a 400-500 hp 2jz-gtte motor under my hood and be pulled over for it being too loud than to have the stock 220 hp motor and be pulled over.
Old 12-10-07, 10:25 AM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by surferlife
I have a buddy who did this to his sc300. Trust me. This is not intended to be personal, but, if you think it will sound like a supra, then you would be mistaken. Yes maybe a non turbo but those sound like sheite as well. Also, the desible limit in CA is 100 until 11pm, and after that, some cops will pull you over just for fun, even if your car is under 100. I dont know about you but i would rather have a 400-500 hp 2jz-gtte motor under my hood and be pulled over for it being too loud than to have the stock 220 hp motor and be pulled over.
Just 1 "t". 2JZ-GTE
Old 12-10-07, 10:34 AM
5sp_jzz30
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

i dont think it would sound good. when i did my clutch i put everything back on except for the exhaust and went for a drive with open header.......sounded amazingly loud and actually pretty damn good. i wouldnt do it on a daily driver . i couldnt hear myself think. no mufflers would be too loud for DD, and this is coming from a guy that loves the sound of a BuddyClub Spec2 exhaust on a 240.
Old 12-10-07, 11:01 AM
surferlife
Driver

thanks, i now realise my mistake.
Old 12-10-07, 11:05 AM
surferlife
Driver

realize sorry, man i suck at typing!
Old 12-10-07, 11:53 AM
CantSeeMe
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by lexSCus
so i've heard an SC300 with no mufflers but it still had resonators, very nice sound. now, my resonators are already gone and i was thinking about removing the mufflers and getting some mean *** tips. anyone have a sound clip??? or know how loud (distance or dB) it really is?? i dont care WHO hears me at WOT, but when im driving under 3k RPMs i dont want to bust eardrums

--mods move this thread if i put it in the wrong spot =) SRY!

If you really want know what it sounds like first hand. Just take the mufflers off. (Its just 2 bolts on each side.) Start it up and listen....
If your piping that 86'd the resognators has its own hangers. You could even go for a quick spin around the block.
If you like the sound, get the tips. If not, just reinstall the mufflers. *Note*The tips may or may not alter the sound slightly, But you'll get a pretty good idea...

Last edited by CantSeeMe; 12-10-07 at 12:00 PM. Reason: added a forgotten sentence
Old 12-10-07, 01:03 PM
lexSCus
Driver School Candidate

Default thanks a lot guys

i guess ill try it out and probly end up gettin magnas
Old 12-10-07, 01:31 PM
SClean4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not sure how much torque is lost with no mufflers but when my cutout was completely open, I had to really rev it higher than normal to get it going at normal speeds, so some torque may be lost (the backpressure may be better since there's more piping than a cutout in the center. I just think it might get a little too loud AND obnoxious after a while, even at low RPMs (2-3k), especially if there's no way to control the volume like I'm able to do with mine. I just wanted to give some info that I've learned after doing mine. Here's an SC3 without mufflers. I thought this car sounded nice with a high-pitched sound to it, kind of Ferrari-like in the higher RPMs. There's a few other SC3 videos on YouTube and a lot of SC4 videos. I've chatted with the guy who made that video when I was researching about doing the same (no mufflers sound). He said he gets pulled over, though, but I haven't had any problems with mine here in TN. I ended up going with a cutout for my SC4 after hearing an SC4 on YouTube with a cutout that sounded real mean and countless other SC 400 videos. I'm using modified block-off plates with holes that lets out a little more sound. BTW, the muffler bolts are welded to the flange so that's the reason I didn't just unbolt my mufflers because I couldn't (without an exhaust shop), but with the cutout, I can make it as loud or as quiet as I want with modified block-off plates, which is nice. I MAY try to add an electric motor to my cutout eventually from DMH, Pypes, QTP/QTEC, etc.

Last edited by SClean4; 12-10-07 at 11:40 PM.
Old 12-10-07, 01:44 PM
TRD_Power
Lead Lap

Received 78 Likes on 66 Posts

Don't do it... People would be looking for the 1990 Civic EX when they heard it.
Old 12-10-07, 01:48 PM
Fireblaze
Lead Lap

I wouldn't do it on an N/A car, not worth it for the sound gains. I put some flows and am about to replace the stock resonators for some glasspacks. I don't know how that will sound, but with the flowmasters instead of the stock mufflers, it is still very quiet. I want some more tone, as I can't hear it past 2.5 rpms. This is all until I get a turbo, then it's possibly cut-out time.
Old 12-10-07, 02:08 PM
HmoobSC300
Driver

loud is never loud enough if it sounds nice.

Quick Reply: HOW loud is TOO loud???