Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Kind of an odd question, Need input

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-07, 01:07 PM
JDMmuscle
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Kind of an odd question, Need input

Alright so i have finally come to a conclusion to my SC issues.

After this past set of Problems, (chewed up wiring harness) things are just all hell... And it feels like my 1uzfe is slowly losing power, my Maf is completely disconnected because it will not run with it plugged in, and it feels like my motor is just bogged out... SOOO

Iv been researching Soarers... Because im always in the search for the next unique step. First it was a choice between the 400 and 300... then it was the 6spd swap phase, then it was the rear mount turbo idea that almost went underway... WELL now i have finally come to rest on my finnely plan..

Buy a front Clip from a Toyota Soarer, implant the engine trans and dash into the sc400 i own now...
Right hand drive, sc300, so i can truly badge it a toyota Soarer

Few questions, What are the frame, engine bay and over all structural difference in the sc400 from the toyota soarer, would i be able to implant the 1jzgte engine and trans using the stock brackets/mounts on the Sc400 frame?

any one done this please speak up, i would like to know ahead of time the bumps i might come across, thanks
Old 12-06-07, 01:17 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

dude, i like it, but i bet that is gonna suck real bad

considering you can find a front clip with a good condition dash that isnt cracked or scratched or whatever, i have no idea how you bolt the dash to the car. i assume it can be done but i doubt everything behind there is symmetrical. plus making new holes and stuff in the firewall and steering column etc.. etc.. is it even legal to make your car RHD? lol

i would think the engine and trans would be the least of your concern here.
im sure someone on here knows whats involved in mounting in a 400 or you could probably search it.

Great idea though, i would like to see it but would suggest just swapping the engine and tranny.
Old 12-06-07, 01:32 PM
JDMmuscle
Lexus Champion

See for me the metal and fabrication is not a problem, I work in a body shop so anything around that is no biggie, what im worried about is the mechanical side of things
Old 12-06-07, 02:07 PM
5sp_jzz30
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

the holes in the firewall are in the wrong place on a RHD car and not symmetrical at all. if you want to do a RHD swap, which is totally legal to own and rive, you will need to cut out the firewall from the clip and weld it back into your car. that way all the connections and such will match up behind the dash. wiring will be interesting to do ceause you will have to figure out which wires go what side. the chassis harnesses are obviously different so that will be fun to figure out. i dont think it will be very hard with wiring, just time consuming. as far as replacing the fireway i have heard of people doing that on 240 to do conversions but you have to know how to reinforce it correctly. good luck to you with that. i think there is a "big bad 1jzgte in sc400" thread that already exists on the forum.
Old 12-06-07, 03:43 PM
JDMmuscle
Lexus Champion

Is there any website to show me a picture of the sc300/400 Frame/fire wall and the Soarer Firewall?

I would like to compare what they look like with out having to take everything off
Old 12-06-07, 03:57 PM
habitat
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are you after a RHD car? I don't see why you don't just transplant just the motor + tranny and save yourself from the headaches
Old 12-06-07, 05:19 PM
neurocity
Neu`roc´i`ty

Received 73 Likes on 37 Posts

Need Input???

Johnny 5 Says...

"Engine Forum!!!!"
Old 12-06-07, 06:55 PM
JDMmuscle
Lexus Champion

hahah holy hell i havent seen that guy forever, god his movies were kick ***...

but yeah, i want the rare-ity factor of the RHD, might just go to ca-na-nidin land and pick up a real soarer, who knows im just tossing around ideas and looking for information, im reading up on the 2jz swap has we speak
Old 12-06-07, 07:01 PM
joewitafro
Racer

Received 265 Likes on 188 Posts

So.. you cant figure out why your car doesnt work right, yet you want to do a Entire firewall RHD swap... Lot ahead of you if you ask me! Not worth cutting up a LHD car, just find a cheap one in canada and find a way to import it here.
Old 12-06-07, 07:31 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

yeah, what he said.
Old 12-07-07, 09:13 AM
5sp_jzz30
Lexus Champion

i have an even better idea. you import a real soarer from japan, canada, or theres one on ebay right now with a bunch of mods done to it. from your avatar i would guess your car is white. take the vins off your car and put them on the soarer. you can have a good bodyshop cut out your vin tag from the firewall and weld it into the soarer. this can be done to look untouched to the naked eye. the only way to tell that it was tampered is to use an x-ray tool to find the welds and seams. granted this is highly illegal but its not like you have a r34 skyline registered as a 240sx. the soarer in japan looks identical to sc300/400 in usa. and it is legal and possible to do a RHD conversion. if you get questioned say to them: "look the car is a 199x year sc300/400 that i converted to RHD." the registration info matches the car info and they wont go into more questioning because its not a suspicious looking car like a yellow r34 skyline. not that you cut your vins out strip out your car and put all the good parts off your car into the soarer. basically make one mint car out of two. whatever parts you have left over you part out and sell. the chassis you can either keep and make a full out dragster out of it that is not street legal that you tow to the track. or worst case scenario you scrap the shell and at current rate of about 100 bucks for 2000lb of steel you should make about 150 on the shell. thats just what i would do if i really wanted a "real" soarer.
Old 12-07-07, 09:30 AM
joewitafro
Racer

Received 265 Likes on 188 Posts

You cant scrap a car that doesnt have vins/isnt registered. So when your DMV finds out that your 199X lexus SC300/400 you scrapped has the same VIN information as the car you just got insured on.. Yeah.. Busted!!

If you really wanted to get a soarer here, go to canada, take all the windows out, tires, brakes, lights and bring it here as a parts vehicle. Replace all the peices you took off with USDM parts to make them "DOT" legal and find a buddy in the DMV/a police officer to approve the car as safe, and driveable on US roads. If people can import Skylines here and get them legalized.. a Soarer should be MUCH MUCH easier, because they actually made the "equivalent" model in the US.
Old 12-07-07, 02:59 PM
JDMmuscle
Lexus Champion

Yeah i was just talking to a friend i have in canada....

He found a white 1998 toyota soarer, for 9k$ OBO, so i think i would just go to his place, pick up the car, drive it back home to USA, and just swap out the parts from the sc400 to the soarer, then just swap vin numbers, and keep the sc400, strip it all out and make it a track car, then keep the newly vin'd soarer and say its a modded sc400/300, and use it as my Daily Driver / project car =D

How difficult is it to swap numbers?
Old 12-07-07, 03:06 PM
5sp_jzz30
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by joewitafro
You cant scrap a car that doesnt have vins/isnt registered. So when your DMV finds out that your 199X lexus SC300/400 you scrapped has the same VIN information as the car you just got insured on.. Yeah.. Busted!!
you cut out all the vins on the car. its easy and you dont go to a junk yard to scrap it you take it to an actual metal recycler. read my post completely before posting. worst case scenario you cut up the shell with a reciprocating saw and take it to the metal recycler.
Old 12-07-07, 03:15 PM
habitat
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 5sp_jzz30
i have an even better idea. you import a real soarer from japan, canada, or theres one on ebay right now with a bunch of mods done to it. from your avatar i would guess your car is white. take the vins off your car and put them on the soarer. you can have a good bodyshop cut out your vin tag from the firewall and weld it into the soarer. this can be done to look untouched to the naked eye...
...or worst case scenario you scrap the shell and at current rate of about 100 bucks for 2000lb of steel you should make about 150 on the shell. thats just what i would do if i really wanted a "real" soarer.
Why do i live in California where it is state mandated to smog every year? WHY? This sounds like a great idea, but from a Californian, just pointless if it doesn't pass emissions.

Quick Reply: Kind of an odd question, Need input