Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

clutch problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-07, 05:04 PM
shonuff53
Lead Lap

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default clutch problem

I get my car on the road today (finally) and when I hit boost around 4k rpm it feels like my wheels are spinning in every gear. my buddy thought it might have something to do with the adjustment of my clutch pedal, but after driving it he thinks my clutch is done..

the clutch that is in there is an Ogura racing clutch single plate and flywheel combo. I have an r154 however it has a modified clutch fork that gets pushed like the w58. and also my throw out bearing sounds like it is being raped! please dont ask me to check if it is a w58 because I went through this already and it is definetly a 1j bell housing and I needed a r154 d/s to work. do any of you have this kit and what type of clutch do you use as far as 1j or 2j turbo or na? any info or help of any kind would be appreciated.

the clutch that is in came with my swap, I took it apart and it was used but to me it seemed like it might still be good but Im not sure anymore.
Old 11-16-07, 06:27 AM
shonuff53
Lead Lap

I adjusted my clutch pedal yesterday both in and out and the out come was still the same. I wish one of you had some info on these push/pull converters, for now I'll have to convert back to the stock setup and order new flywheel,clutch, and flywheel bolts. the only info I could come up with was to measure everything out to see if it was the same as the os giken conversion kit so that I could use one of their single clutch kits, because ogura is a little high and dosen't even hold that much power.
Old 11-16-07, 07:52 AM
evileagle
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

sounds like your clutch is slipping. Adjusting the pedal is critical. But, just to check if its pedal related, adjust the pedal so the clutch starts engaging as soon as you start letting go of the clutch. Go for a ride and see if it still slips. If it does, then you know its not the adjustment in the assembly and something mechanical. Make sure to put back the pedal in proper adjustment. This is dont by giving approximatly 3/4" freeplay from when you first start disengaging the clutch as well as at the end, when the clutch is fully disengaged, there should be some slight freeplay there as well.

Good luck
Old 11-16-07, 04:55 PM
shonuff53
Lead Lap

thanks for the tips, I pulled the tranny and clutch off today, the clutch looked a lot worse and the pressure plate and flywheel had a lot of burn spots (probably should of took care of that the first time around). However Im converting back to the stock slave cylinder and fork assembly and my new clutch is on the way t minus one week till start of break in...
Old 11-16-07, 11:00 PM
5sp_jzz30
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

wanna sell that Ogura clutch with the pull-to-push converter? i know the clutch is probably toast but i wanna see some pictures. it may be rebuildable.