Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Here we go... new engine and FI stuff on the way!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-07, 07:06 PM
seeya
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Here we go... new engine and FI stuff on the way!!

I have been trying to decide between a gte swap or na-t. I have had 4 Supras and the gte is a prefered choice for me, but for my power goals going na-t just made sense. I know several people who have made great power on their na-t set ups and I came across a great deal on a low mileage ge block to replace my very healthy, but higher mileage one.

This is what I bought this week:
60k mile 2jz-ge block
DaveH Turbo Kit pt52 turbo
AEM Uego wideband
2.5mm Boost Logic Head Gasket

Here is what is still left on the immediate need list:
Injectors and larger fuel pump
FMIC
clutch
dual aftermarket exhaust
suspension
wheels
big brake kit
Map Ecu or AEM
Gauges
Boost controller

The near future list:
6spd tranny

Last edited by seeya; 10-12-07 at 07:19 PM.
Old 10-10-07, 07:19 PM
MDeezy
Rookie

check club-nat for the various turbo kits. the XS kit looks great and been great for many
RPS clutch.
LS400 brake setup
Stance coilovers
I've heard good things about the Map ECu but curious how it stacked up vs the AEM.
Old 10-10-07, 07:25 PM
seeya
Lead Lap

AEM is a much better over all tuning unit, but 3 times as much and it is much harder to find a local tuner.

I looked at the XS power kit and have not ruled it out just a little concerned that the you get what you pay for rule might come true
Old 10-10-07, 07:38 PM
MDeezy
Rookie

Boost logic has a kit as well ( I believe two different stages)

the Map 2 ECU looks like a great device, with a lot of functions. If your like me and want to do all your own tuning this could be a good route... and new mafless setup.

there is an exhaust thread with various types of exhausts posted. Take a look at that (search for it)

wheel I'm still searching for the right type

if you can afford it an electronic boost controller. (greddy)
Old 10-12-07, 07:20 PM
seeya
Lead Lap

Just sent money for the Turbo Kit
Should be here Weds or Thurs
Old 10-12-07, 08:08 PM
SCoupe
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by MDeezy
if you can afford it an electronic boost controller. (greddy)
No support for Greddy here. GReddy Profec-B soleonoid failures are not uncommon, mine failed and cost me number two turbo.

Greddy's replacement cost on that part alone was ~$200. They can eat ****. The shop I used for my swap had pulled three Greddy Profec failures last year from various engines.

Go with Blitz EBC.
Old 10-12-07, 08:19 PM
blaznsc4
Lexus Test Driver

for ebc you want dual solenoid. don't get single solenoid as they crap out alot.
Old 10-12-07, 08:34 PM
BLovesc
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Injectors and larger fuel pump- Just get some 550 and a walbro
FMIC- Id say get a ebay one. it will be good enough and you wont cry when a fatty rock flies thru your $800 HKS
clutch- Lots of good brands
dual aftermarket exhaust- Get custom exhaust with mufflers of your choice that way its to your liking
suspension- ???? So many good companies
- Same
big brake kit- Supra brales do the job not expensive and they look good too
Map Ecu or AEM- Aem for sure there is no way you can go wrong and you can use it on other cars later on if need be
Gauges- Any
Boost controller- Any

Hahah sorry i put so much just my opinion

Last edited by BLovesc; 10-15-07 at 01:53 PM.
Old 10-13-07, 06:22 AM
seeya
Lead Lap

I appreciate it and others even more I'm sure.

Here was my last Supra GTE build:

Je pistons
Eagle rods
clevite bearings
SP74 Chrome (yes chrome) turbo
custom intake manifold off Matt Scrantons Supra
1000cc injectors
titan fuel rail
4" TURBO BACK
FPR
duel walbros
VPC-Sucks for 1000cc
safcII
tein suspension
stock tt brakes
profec b (I had some issues as well^)
built auto
greddy 4 row
ported and polished built head
etc, etc, etc

I had to build the block when my VPC failed on the 3rd pull on a dyno leaning me out at 6k rpm causing detonation car dynoed 575rwhp on wastegate spring only )

Last edited by seeya; 10-13-07 at 06:27 AM.
Old 10-13-07, 06:26 AM
seeya
Lead Lap

My car, all stickered up for a NOPI show (I got best Toyota that day ) and before the custom polished intake manifold and 4 row.

Old 10-13-07, 12:09 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BLovesc
dual aftermarket exhaust- Gte custome exhaust with mufflers of your choice that way its to your liking
big brake kit- Supra brales do the job not expensive and they look good too
Map Ecu or AEM- Aem for sure there is no way you can go wrong and you can use it on other cars later on if need be
Duals sound like crap compared to a single exit and they dont flow any better; why would you recommend them?

If we're talking semi-budget here, the LS400 brakes are a much better deal than the overpriced SupraTT brakes and are only marginally smaller

And your argument for the AEM doesnt hold water; you CAN go wrong with it when you dont need it. No point in running an AEM with 550 injectors; might as well use a MAPECU2 or even a LS400 AFM + AFC. And the AEM is MUCH harder to use on other cars than a MAPECU. The MAPECU in itself is a very generic piece while the AEM is specific for various cars. Converting them to run on other vehicles requires some work (warranty-voiding work too). Not to mention it costs 4x as much as a MAP ECU and 2.5x as much as a MAP ECU 2.

As for clutches; there ARENT that many good ones. Most are crap. I encourage the OP to do his research I'm running the HPF Bronze which is supposed to handle A LOT of power and its easy as hell to drive.
Old 10-13-07, 01:34 PM
Durrr
Lead Lap

I just pieced together a complete TT brake kit with SS lines, and zinc coated/slotted rotors for <1000 bucks. Just gotta know where to look and be patient looking for parts.
Old 10-13-07, 06:39 PM
MDeezy
Rookie

Curious to know what AEM has over the Map ECU in terms of tuning etc.

going to search on this some more also.

Originally Posted by SCoupe
No support for Greddy here. GReddy Profec-B soleonoid failures are not uncommon, mine failed and cost me number two turbo.

Greddy's replacement cost on that part alone was ~$200. They can eat ****. The shop I used for my swap had pulled three Greddy Profec failures last year from various engines.

Go with Blitz EBC.

didnt know that... good thing to keep in mind for the future.
Old 10-14-07, 12:40 AM
SCoupe
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by seeya
profec b (I had some issues as well^)
Figured there were others.

That's a spectacular MKIV Supra.
Old 10-14-07, 10:27 AM
BLovesc
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bean
Duals sound like crap compared to a single exit and they dont flow any better; why would you recommend them?

If we're talking semi-budget here, the LS400 brakes are a much better deal than the overpriced SupraTT brakes and are only marginally smaller

And your argument for the AEM doesnt hold water; you CAN go wrong with it when you dont need it. No point in running an AEM with 550 injectors; might as well use a MAPECU2 or even a LS400 AFM + AFC. And the AEM is MUCH harder to use on other cars than a MAPECU. The MAPECU in itself is a very generic piece while the AEM is specific for various cars. Converting them to run on other vehicles requires some work (warranty-voiding work too). Not to mention it costs 4x as much as a MAP ECU and 2.5x as much as a MAP ECU 2.

As for clutches; there ARENT that many good ones. Most are crap. I encourage the OP to do his research I'm running the HPF Bronze which is supposed to handle A LOT of power and its easy as hell to drive.
Like I said it was my opinion. I think dual exhaust looks 10x cleaner and I diddnt recomendit he was asking for what kind of dual exhaust to look for. He also stated he wanted an Aem.Yea but once he goes past 550s hes gonna need a better tuning system might as well get a good one from the start. So next time read the whole thing before you try and disprove me or whatever your trying to do. Orc makes a good clutch exedy, cusco. all make good hypersingles. Like I said its all my personal opinion you can think whatever you want

Last edited by BLovesc; 10-14-07 at 10:32 AM.

Quick Reply: Here we go... new engine and FI stuff on the way!!