Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Turn Key Solution.

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-07, 02:21 PM
DasBach
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turn Key Solution.

I called the guys at Boost logic in Austin Texas today to get some ideas and prices on a setup I plan on doing when I get back from Iraq. I ended up getting a turn key quote for about 11K. This is the full Boost Logic Stage 2 kit for a N/A Supra/Sc300, clutch/flywheel, full AEM EMS with all sensors and the needed gauges, all fully installed and tuned. Seeing as I already have that saved up, I was wondering if anyone thinks this is bad or good. I thought, if they make all these parts and know what they are selling, they're tuning can't be that far off. Please let me know if anyone has some suggestions. I'm going home to Austin Texas on combat leave (if all goes well out there) so I have no problem driving there and flying back here.
Old 06-12-07, 02:53 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 335 Likes on 221 Posts

Old 06-12-07, 02:56 PM
laxdude362
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I say do it. If I had the money, that is the route I would have gone. Quality parts, installation, and tuning. You get your car back running perfect and not having to worry about anything going wrong.
Old 06-12-07, 03:14 PM
DasBach
Lexus Test Driver

As I was waiting for the screen to load, I was like Crap... O.L.T is going to have this moved and add the picture of the yellow arrows pointing to the performance section hehe. Thanks for the advice too, I'm pretty excited!
Old 06-12-07, 04:02 PM
CantSeeMe
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by laxdude362
I say do it. If I had the money, that is the route I would have gone. Quality parts, installation, and tuning. You get your car back running perfect and not having to worry about anything going wrong.
I have to agree.....Is it cheap? NO.... But lets face it. We're not talking about a low budget setup . Everything included is high quality , and proven repeatedly on our cars.
I would want an itemized list of the charges. And exactly what youre getting of course . But it doesnt seem out of line to me for whats included.
If you can swing it. And its what you want. Just the amount of stress you will save alone is probably worth it .
Old 06-12-07, 09:35 PM
DasBach
Lexus Test Driver

Thats why I was really happy to get the chance to discuss it. I don't have a lot of time to spend on the car, so atleast this way when I get it back I can take it apart and figure out how it all works :P
Old 06-13-07, 08:44 AM
DasBach
Lexus Test Driver

Here is they're estimate, completed in a month and a half at the latest.

Boost Logic Stage 2 NA-T kit 5,249.00
Upgrade to 525cc injectors 150.00
Blitz Spec R Boost Controller 424.00
AEM ECU with 3.5 bar map, iat, iat harness, and Wideband 2,175.00
HKS SSQ Bov 205.00
Aluminum HKS SSQ Bov Flange 30.00
Tuning Concepts AEM ECU Tune for Street and Dyno 850.00
Dyno Time 250.00
RPS 6 Puck Clutch 700.00
Bosot Logic SC300 Stainless Steel Exhaust System. Dual 3". 999.00
Total Labor Charges 3240$
Total : 14,312.00$
Old 06-14-07, 08:59 AM
cosmo
Driver School Candidate

This seems really expensive for what you're getting imo. You could have a shop do a 2jz-gte swap with a 6speed and BPU for way less I would think.

I really would expect them to give me discounts on some parts when I going to a single shop \ location for a full setup.

With this setup you'll still be limited on fuel to low 500whp, and thats even if the W58 tranny holds up for the first couple months. I know if I had almost 15K to drop, I would sell the lexus and buy a 6 speed supra. Otherwise do a GTE 6 speed swap into the SC300.

Edit:
Also, I don't understand why this would take them a month and a half. All of the parts are sold as kits to consumers, so there is minimal to no fabrication required. I think a week to complete this kind of project is way more realistic, unless they plan on giving you a crazy deal on labor to only work on it in their spare time.

Last edited by cosmo; 06-14-07 at 09:05 AM.
Old 06-14-07, 12:00 PM
jefferino
Lead Lap

The thing that sticks out to me is "Tuning Concepts AEM ECU Tune for Street and Dyno 850.00" Dyno time is $250 but shouldn't that include their tuning time? I mean EVERY car is different based on gas and other factors rather than simply loading a generic tune for that setup? Otherwise everything looks fairly reasonable...

I would do the following:
1. Look at how much the stuff would cost you ifyou sourced it yourself
2. Figure out how much of that you could / would want to do yourself
3. Look at dyno tuning costs (AEM usually takes a little to set up, my Eclipse took us about 4 hours to tune)
4. Do a comparison and see what would make the most sense from a cost perspective.

Alot of that stuff isn't that hard to do yourself. I would consider that in the equation....
Old 06-14-07, 03:46 PM
DasBach
Lexus Test Driver

Well, If I source all the parts myself (Using BoostLogic directly for some one of them) I total about 8,300$. That doesn't include BOV, Flange, and other various things. I'm just not sure what it takes to tune a turbo car using the full AEM EMS system. I'm only lookin for 420-450~RWHP through a good clutch that I'll never drag race or pop my clutch. I plan just passing up cars on the freeway when I travel to Phoenix/San Diego on the weekends. I dont like street racing much, but the highway inbetween Yuma and San Diego or Yuma to Phoenix is desolate... so they only person I'll kill for being retarded is probably my self. I just sold my 2jzgte to a fellow Marine thats stationed close by.
Old 06-14-07, 08:15 PM
motorswaps
Rookie

ooh rah boooost haha

Last edited by motorswaps; 06-14-07 at 08:18 PM. Reason: messed up
Old 06-15-07, 07:17 AM
M34LNCH
Lead Lap

Default ...

Though thats a good choice, i can tell you that 11k can get you a GTE+6spd+diff installed and will help the overall value of your car. A Turbo kit doesnt do anything for your car's value.
Old 06-15-07, 07:24 AM
drewgo
Lexus Test Driver

I made 468 with $2.5, I am saying that cuz you can get more for your money if you just spend more time shopping around.
And trust me no matter how good of a tuner you have, you will always find your self going back to the shop for more.
I am sure many can attest that your 14k will turn into 20k really quick.
Old 06-15-07, 07:45 AM
DasBach
Lexus Test Driver

Where can you get a 6 Speed GTE with the diff installed? I live in Yuma Arizona, there is one performance shop here and they won't touch imports... any suggestions?
Old 06-15-07, 11:17 AM
drewgo
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by YumaSC300
Where can you get a 6 Speed GTE with the diff installed? I live in Yuma Arizona, there is one performance shop here and they won't touch imports... any suggestions?
How much power are you looking for ???

Quick Reply: Turn Key Solution.