Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

(domestic) V8 in a SC300/400

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-07, 06:23 PM
tuninghaus
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default (domestic) V8 in a SC300/400

dont' flame me for asking this:

but anyone ever put in a domestic V8 in a sc300/400? any of the small block or big block v8's.

i was planning to do a project SC drag car with the built 2jz. but have sort of changed my mind/direction and was experimenting with the thought of going domestic v8 (more power and on less octane) in a NICE car (such as the lexus SC300/400) so it'll have the best of both worlds.

i had a 750hp supra before and know that power can be made by the 2jz but i wanted to run a BIG turbo and wanted to shoot for some big power 1000-1200whp. i believe building a built v8 motor would be cheaper than the 2jz's. plus i wouldn't need nitrous to spool it off the line!

i know the main concern for me would be the oil pan mounting up properly, clearance of the cross members and steering rack.

if anyone has done it though please post pics or info about it!

thanks!
Old 06-04-07, 06:43 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 335 Likes on 221 Posts

Old 06-04-07, 07:45 PM
Blizzy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

honestly, if you knew a good fab shop, I am sure they could build you a custom cross member that would allow an LS1, LT1, etc to fit inside. The engine bay is a limiting factor. But, if you threw out all the luxuries like A/C and P/S and went simple and easy for a straight drag set-up, I bet you could a nice-sized V8.

that being said, I would check with Eric (Cowboy) and TTC Performance. He can build you a stroked 2UZ from a Tundra with forged everything and a stroked crank to 5.5L. Put two snails on that thing, and you are talking 1000+wtq on a Toyota motor that would mount right in.

It might be easier and less hassle in the long run to just run a stroked 2UZ. Eric even designed an intake manifold that is really pretty damn sweet. A 5.5L TT quad cam Toyota motor in an SC: sweet jesus.
Old 06-04-07, 07:48 PM
c0wboy
Banned

Originally Posted by Blizzy
honestly, if you knew a good fab shop, I am sure they could build you a custom cross member that would allow an LS1, LT1, etc to fit inside. The engine bay is a limiting factor. But, if you threw out all the luxuries like A/C and P/S and went simple and easy for a straight drag set-up, I bet you could a nice-sized V8.

that being said, I would check with Eric (Cowboy) and TTC Performance. He can build you a stroked 2UZ from a Tundra with forged everything and a stroked crank to 5.5L. Put two snails on that thing, and you are talking 1000+wtq on a Toyota motor that would mount right in.

It might be easier and less hassle in the long run to just run a stroked 2UZ. Eric even designed an intake manifold that is really pretty damn sweet. A 5.5L TT quad cam Toyota motor in an SC: sweet jesus.
5.65L Iron block, and twin turbo

Eric
Old 06-04-07, 08:51 PM
Blizzy
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by c0wboy

Eric
correction on the size of eric's biggest stroker kit.
Old 06-04-07, 08:54 PM
SUPRMSC
Lexus Test Driver

You had a 750hp supra and made a 11.2 1/4 pass? wow.

Maybe you should focus on traction and timing then power with a big V8
Old 06-04-07, 09:04 PM
tuninghaus
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Idrewfelix
You had a 750hp supra and made a 11.2 1/4 pass? wow.

Maybe you should focus on traction and timing then power with a big V8
hey man before you ASSUME anything or be an A$$HOLE try to figure out the FACTS first? 11.2 @ 126 mph does that add up to 750whp??? even if i were spinning i would trap in the 130's easy with 750whp.
you know of a thing called a boost controller right? it was turned all the way down (17psi), it was probably ~550-600whp or so on those runs. yes i should have gotten in the 10's witha better 60' foot.
never got to run it at 750whp (25psi). what have YOU ran anyway if you ever did?

traction= no problem, didn't spin at all but didn't have a good 60' 1.7's

power= wanted to run at full tilt 30psi (800~whp) but decided to start at the base boost (17psi) to get used to the car first. so there you have it of my former supra and my one night of drag racing.

can we please get back onto topic? thank you
Old 06-04-07, 09:06 PM
Blizzy
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by tuninghaus
can we please get back onto topic? thank you
indeed. I am curious what the longtime gearheads say about the possibilities of an american muscle car engine going into the SC...
Old 06-04-07, 09:08 PM
tuninghaus
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by c0wboy

Eric
eric, would love to hear more about your set up! PM'd you

if you can post back up on here that would be helpful to the search engine/thread as well as to other people interested. if not please PM me back
Old 06-04-07, 09:10 PM
tuninghaus
Lead Lap

indeed. I am curious what the longtime gearheads say about the possibilities of an american muscle car engine going into the SC...
i understand this isn't the most conventional way and i might get flamed a lot for bringing this topic up. just wanted to see my different options to look at. i think having a built v8tt in a lexus body would be pretty spectacular imo
Old 06-05-07, 07:25 AM
StiCk3
Lexus Champion

how bout a supercharged 2UZ drag car? found this on lextreme....

http://www.aeromanagement.com.au/racing/outlaw.html

this thing is bad ***!!!
Old 06-05-07, 09:04 PM
Blizzy
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by StiCk3
how bout a supercharged 2UZ drag car? found this on lextreme....

http://www.aeromanagement.com.au/racing/outlaw.html

this thing is bad ***!!!
If you want four digit wheel torque numbers AND you want to keep your stock hood, a stroked 2UZ with a pair of GT40R's would definitely get the job the done.
Old 06-06-07, 07:03 AM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Its been done before. I do recall somewhere out on the interweb, I came across a picture of a SC with a LT1 swap. Haven't been able to find the picture again though.
Old 06-06-07, 12:30 PM
sc300gte
Lead Lap

I was actually pondering this before i bought my 1jzgte...there was an LS1 for a pretty cheap for sale locally. I think that its safe to say that it would definitely be unique!
Old 06-06-07, 01:34 PM
Blizzy
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by sc300gte
I was actually pondering this before i bought my 1jzgte...there was an LS1 for a pretty cheap for sale locally. I think that its safe to say that it would definitely be unique!
you would definitely have aftermarket support coming out of your ears with an LS1. I would be curious to hear from the GM gearheads would say when you would reveal that the yor LS1 was in a Lexus.

find a fab shop. I am sure they could make you a custom cross-member to get the engine in the vehicle. Use an LS1 tranny, get a custom driveshaft, and go nuts.

Quick Reply: (domestic) V8 in a SC300/400