Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

turbo

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-01, 09:31 AM
SC300TURBO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

for the cost to value you just not gonna be able to do what you want with the V8.....the 3.0l 6 has generated as much as 1000 rwhp...how much hp do you want....in regaurds to your comment of having an extra litre of motor for hp potential......its just cost effective.....theres more room in the engine bay...and the 3.0l was designed to be a turbo motor and withstand the duties of turbocharging....ya know?.....also who was the guy who new me by name?.....Jeff
Old 12-31-01, 07:54 PM
gadgetSC
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks Jeff & Lex for the suggestions, Its nice to have options. I'd like to see Paisley's shop and work.

gadgetSC
Old 01-01-02, 12:42 PM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gadget, Paisley Automotive is probably doing my converter soon, you're more than welcome to come, Hempstead isn't too far from Port Jeff. I went to college in Hempstead so i'm familiar with the area (and VERY familiar with Oak St, I had my leave down perfect from that starting line, my T-Type used to pull the left front a bit on a 275-50D Hoosier DOT at that spot). Jeff, you've almost got me convinced to the point where I want to pick up an SC3 for forced induction, it is just toooo easy to turbo the 2JZ, and it really is pretty bulletproof to 700hp with enough fuel, but do you disagree that the Australians have proven that the 1UZ can withstand the duties of turbocharging? Isn't Powerhouse's 1UZ motor in their jet boat putting out close to 1000hp by now? Their V8 Soarer runs silly boost, something over 2bar, on a stock reciprocating assembly I believe. I know Clint would agree that the 1UZ is just as overbuilt as the 2JZ, but i'll have to admit that you're right, Jeff, in the end it really boils down to cost effectiveness. For $10K you can have a solid 11sec SC3, but that same ten grand will probably just get you started on a 1UZ. So, juice my SC4 for now, and build an SC3 for 'serious' use on the side? Hmmm..........
Old 01-01-02, 12:45 PM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Oh, and Happy New Year everyone. My New Year's resolution is to lose two unsightly seconds from my elapsed time, lol.
Old 01-02-02, 04:31 AM
SC300TURBO
Lexus Test Driver

i like the new years resolution...lol.......as for the V8....the cost of parts...and the headache of crammin all the necessiary items into a 400 it just isnt practical.....just look at the mechtech sc400 from years ago......it didnt make **** for power..the guy paid an arm and aleg and you never see that car anywhere.....those vatn turbos are garbage........as for austraillians and what they have done to the motor......mabye a really rich guy can build one and throw it in a jet boat.....that sounds like alot of fu-kin cash to me....alot more than i got.....and you dont have lexus engine bay issues there........as far as in a car......i would have to drive one and see it for myself to be concinced of it...we have some very good tuners in the us......and the car has been out since 92.....and to my knowledge no one has made an sc400 and faster than 12s...and that was typical intake...exahust...chip and nitrous
so do i think its possible...yes...practical..no.....fun as hell and cheaper on insurance to drive a turboed sc300...hell yess..run 12s...11s and hopefully 10s.....hell yess....
and this is the last time..your worrying me...who did you know that new me by 1st and last name?.....Jeff
Old 01-02-02, 09:56 PM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Aaah, now you know I can't tell you who knows you, that would spoil the fun. You're right about Mechtech, I spoke with Jim McFarland, he wanted $15,000 to do the work, and they only got 350hp. I don't have money to burn either, so I think i'll pass on that one. As far as I know, no one has broken past the twelves with an SC4, and since a Stage 1.5 kit from Lance will get you there EASY, the decision does seem pretty obvious. So, sell my SC4? Hmm, just picked this one up 5mos ago, did a fair amount of work to it already, guess i'll just tool around in it and pick up an SC3 and prep it for a Toyomoto kit. We'll see, need to replace my fuel lines first, the genius that changed the fuel filter stripped the fittings, so I have to start on this hump of a project, and it's way colder here than were you are Jeff. Also, picked up an Explorer 4dr today (not my first choice, but my company picked up the tab, so I don't dare complain) and couldn't even stand to drive it after being spoiled by the SC, life if rough, but at least I have something to tool around in while I do my fuel lines and converter, plus snow with the staggered tyres is a no-no, involuntary oversteer.
Attached Thumbnails turbo-compressed-front-view.jpg  
Old 01-03-02, 04:36 AM
SC300TURBO
Lexus Test Driver

the sc400 looks great...i would just save up and buy an sc300 for another toy.........but thats just me.......
Jeff
Old 01-03-02, 03:45 PM
TheKevin
Lexus Champion

what do you all think of the turbo kit for the 2JZ-GE from www.suprastore.com

any comments on that kit?
Old 01-04-02, 05:15 AM
SC300TURBO
Lexus Test Driver

its an f-max garbage kit.....do a search youll find posts about it...very poor quality......while up at nopi a white supra with that kit caught fire...lol..Jeff
Old 01-04-02, 10:26 AM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Jeff is right, that supra had a really crappy kit...

although its the manifold thats crappy... you could save some money by getting the fmax kit without the manifold and ordering the toyomoto one... thats what i plan on doing

although that fmax kit on the supra was kinda old; I know for a fact the fmax kit for the 240sx is actually really nice; i've seen it in person... maybe their quality is up now, I dunno... but I don't want to be a guinea pig
Old 01-04-02, 12:15 PM
TheKevin
Lexus Champion

how much does the toyomoto kit cost?
what does the whole kit include?
Old 01-04-02, 12:50 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

turbo, turbo manifold (which is compatible with bigger turbos too), additional injectors, additional injector controller, 3" downpipe, intercooler piping, stock supra sidemount intercooler, blow off valve, external wastegate, and intake piping... and all the gaskets, etc...

everything you need is in both kits... the toyomoto is available in lots of stages... the one above is a stage 1...

the fmax kit has all the same stuff except its a front mount intercooler, crappy quality manifold (from the old ones we've seen), same exact turbo, and a different brand additional injector controller... and it costs $700 less
Old 01-04-02, 01:17 PM
SC300TURBO
Lexus Test Driver

manifolds havent changed...still crappy
Old 01-06-02, 02:12 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

where's the evidence? the supra at nopi was an old manifold

and there's a fmax turbod 240sx running around in mobile,al... i saw its manifold; and it is WAY better than the one that I saw on the Supra...
Old 01-07-02, 06:54 AM
SC300TURBO
Lexus Test Driver

apples and oranges bro....thats a 240...we own a lexus.....go buy a kit if ya want proof...lol..but trst me they havent changed it...Jeff

Quick Reply: turbo