Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Ridin on my new 2800 stall speed torque converter!

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-07, 10:08 PM
insomniac
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ridin on my new 2800 stall speed torque converter!

Ok guys i have been doing a couple of mods to my car as you guys know.
Injen intake, Borla catback exhaust and now i got my lextreme torque converter installed yesterday. I paid $350 for the conveter and im sending them my old one so will be getting $175 back. I searched around many trasmission shops to get quotes on the install. most shops wanted $600 bucks until i stumbled along this one shop who only wanted $300 for the install. I took my car in and they had it banged out by the end of the day!!

The result:
My car is much much quicker off the line, i can tell my 0-60 is a lot faster, i really didn't think i was going to be so happy with this product but its the best mod i did so far. I raced a 2006 eclipse GT V6 (not really much to brag about) today and pulled about 2 car lenghts ahead of him before he started to break since those cars are putting out 265hp at the crank my little 92 isnt bad, my sc has shown signs of improvemnt and im very happy with it right now. Im not going to dyno until i get an safc2 and some headers but i will keep you guys updated.

Lextreme TC FTW!

Last edited by insomniac; 04-24-07 at 03:59 PM.
Old 04-07-07, 10:48 PM
Blizzy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do you notice any difference in throttle response in any other gear?

I have read accounts online of rebuilt stock torque converters actually decreasing performance in other gears because of potential added mass to the torque converter during the rebuild. Is this felt in any way?
Old 04-07-07, 10:50 PM
insomniac
Lead Lap

Smile

Originally Posted by Blizzy
Do you notice any difference in throttle response in any other gear?

I have read accounts online of rebuilt stock torque converters actually decreasing performance in other gears because of potential added mass to the torque converter during the rebuild. Is this felt in any way?
No i haven't experienced a decrease in performance in any other gears. it seems that every gear changes more quickly and smoother than ever before. My car feels quicker even from 50-80 imo
Old 04-07-07, 10:58 PM
Foozmore
Driver School Candidate

Default also getting lextreme TQ next week

insomniac,

I also ordered the TQ from David at Lextreme, it shipped and will be here next week. (I wonder whose old TQ I ended up getting...) and I will let you know my results as well. I had thought about doing the PI for the $900, but hey, you save $600 by getting the Lextreme and I am putting that money towards a full tune up this summer. Only question now, is will I need a LSD to complement the TQ...stay tuned for my write up on the Lextreme TQ in coming weeks.
Old 04-07-07, 11:05 PM
insomniac
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Foozmore
insomniac,

I also ordered the TQ from David at Lextreme, it shipped and will be here next week. (I wonder whose old TQ I ended up getting...) and I will let you know my results as well. I had thought about doing the PI for the $900, but hey, you save $600 by getting the Lextreme and I am putting that money towards a full tune up this summer. Only question now, is will I need a LSD to complement the TQ...stay tuned for my write up on the Lextreme TQ in coming weeks.

i am wondering about the LSD myself.
im looking forward to seeing your writeup
goodluck
Old 04-08-07, 12:19 AM
Blizzy
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by insomniac
i am wondering about the LSD myself.
Are you having traction issues off the line? Would you burn out the tires if you floored it from the go? How wide of tires are you running in the rear?
Old 04-08-07, 12:51 AM
insomniac
Lead Lap

Are you having traction issues off the line? Would you burn out the tires if you floored it from the go? How wide of tires are you running in the rear?
I have 9.5 in the rear. i cant seem to make the car squeal when i floor it, the tires dont spin out at all it just goes when my traction control is on and off.
Old 04-08-07, 02:23 PM
Blizzy
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by insomniac
I have 9.5 in the rear. i cant seem to make the car squeal when i floor it, the tires dont spin out at all it just goes when my traction control is on and off.
9.5" wheel is fine info; but, how wide are your rear tires? 275? 265? etc.

When traction control is off, how far can you push down the throttle and still hook off the line? 30%? 50%? 70%?

Thanks-
Blizzy

ps. adding tire brand and model to the width question above would help as well.
Old 04-09-07, 02:03 AM
eddie187
Driver School Candidate

i got a question what is the stock setting for the torque converter and would the upgrade torque converter wear-out the Tanny faster. thanks
Old 04-09-07, 04:49 AM
Blizzy
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by eddie187
i got a question what is the stock setting for the torque converter and would the upgrade torque converter wear-out the Tanny faster. thanks
I do not know the stock setting, but I would assume it is in the 1500-1900 range so as not to snap the average retiree's neck when getting off the line.

Toyota trannies are largely very durable and heat -moreso than wear- has the ability to destroy them quickly. Anyone pushing their Lexus/Toyota with regularity (juiced up stall or not) should look into a tranny cooler. B&M tranny coolers have been used by a number of CL guys. B&M is a trusted name that has been around for a long time.

When considering two cars that are being driven spiritedly, a stock vehicle will probably wear the transmission faster than will a modified vehicle with an aftermarket stall converter and a tranny cooler.
Old 04-09-07, 05:14 AM
eddie187
Driver School Candidate

I do not know the stock setting, but I would assume it is in the 1500-1900 range so as not to snap the average retiree's neck when getting off the line.

Toyota trannies are largely very durable and heat -moreso than wear- has the ability to destroy them quickly. Anyone pushing their Lexus/Toyota with regularity (juiced up stall or not) should look into a tranny cooler. B&M tranny coolers have been used by a number of CL guys. B&M is a trusted name that has been around for a long time.

When considering two cars that are being driven spiritedly, a stock vehicle will probably wear the transmission faster than will a modified vehicle with an aftermarket stall converter and a tranny cooler.
thanks for the info i'll be looking into the B&M cooler when im ready to put a upgrade torque converter.what is the gain from the torque converter 0.5 sec off the line?
Old 04-09-07, 12:40 PM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Sitting here waiting for my tranny to kick the bucket so i can have a good enough incentive to go with a tranny cooler and upgraded TQ.
Old 04-09-07, 12:46 PM
Sly Guy Yu
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by eddie187
the stock is around 2100.

It will wear out the tranny faster. Change ur fluids regularly and add a better tranny cooler will help out.
Old 04-09-07, 12:52 PM
boostedny
Pole Position

now that we are no the subject ..now im running the stock 2jz..woudl the stall speed need to be different if im doing the GTE swap

My second thing is if im driving and I let off the gas at 2500 rpms my car jols forward..does that mean theres a problem with my tranny
Old 04-09-07, 01:03 PM
Blizzy
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by boostedny
now that we are on the subject ..now im running the stock 2jz..would the stall speed need to be different if im doing the GTE swap?
must it be different? no
would it help get you into boost more quickly off the line? absolutely

Quick Reply: Ridin on my new 2800 stall speed torque converter!