Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

thinking of swapping 1jz/5spd. into sc400. help appreciated

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-07, 03:26 PM
vince1128
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile thinking of swapping 1jz/5spd. into sc400. help appreciated

I know this is going to sound really bad but i need a timing belt and im thinking of just swapping the motor.

I have a 93 sc400 with 114k on it. I have a chip in my timing belt and have been thinking that instead of spending 600 bucks for that, just buy a 1jz. My main goal is having a 5spd, and with a 1jz i could mate a 5spd sc300 tranny to it, correct?

Does everything in this swap line up or will a good amount of fabrication be needed?

how much does a 1jz with 5spd cost roughly?

what are the other parts i need to run a tt motor? i know i need an intercooler, what else?

sry for my lack of knowledge, im just trying to see what this would run. thanks

Im thinking this is a better alternative to spending money on a timing belt, then paying for the swap.. let me know what you think

Last edited by vince1128; 04-02-07 at 03:31 PM.
Old 04-04-07, 01:29 PM
whomiked
Pole Position

I've searched a bit but there isn't much info on a 1jz into a sc400. I would like some of these questions answered too.
Old 04-04-07, 01:40 PM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by vince1128
I know this is going to sound really bad but i need a timing belt and im thinking of just swapping the motor.

I have a 93 sc400 with 114k on it. I have a chip in my timing belt and have been thinking that instead of spending 600 bucks for that, just buy a 1jz. My main goal is having a 5spd, and with a 1jz i could mate a 5spd sc300 tranny to it, correct?

Does everything in this swap line up or will a good amount of fabrication be needed?

how much does a 1jz with 5spd cost roughly?

what are the other parts i need to run a tt motor? i know i need an intercooler, what else?

sry for my lack of knowledge, im just trying to see what this would run. thanks

Im thinking this is a better alternative to spending money on a timing belt, then paying for the swap.. let me know what you think

I think your first step is reading....ALOT...about turbos and what goes into a swap.

Your statement of "what do I need? I know I need an intercooler." shows that this is all brand new to you. Do some research. While doing a swap is not some unbelievably hard thing, it also not like changing your oil. A lot goes into it!

Also, you are sooooo not considering cost. $600 timing belt vs $4000-$6000 swap cost (since you're obviously not doing this yourself). No brainer if you ask me.
Old 04-04-07, 01:56 PM
21ce
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts
Before this thread gets thrown away can someone please answer some ?'s I do understand what is required in a swap and have done turbo conversions before, but everytime i seriously consider this swap people tell me to search so I do... there is not much info on this in these forums, just half threads of people giving a quick rundown list and not finishing the thread. 250tt told me to check his threads as well, but they aren't much help because no one explains, they just tell people to search.

I heard this was a relatively easy swap, but it is unclear on what "easy" means. My main concern is am I going to have a lot of problems after the swap, with other components break down due to the increase in temperature and other things that come along with a turbo.

I have turbo'd my nt talon, built the motor and turbo'd, even a custom 8-injector system, the accessory belts started to fall off due to the turbo as well as the added heat (crank controlled accessory belts). Due to the electrical system's lack of a MAF (nt car) the car would bog down real bad and throw CEL codes... I was finally able to get everything running well, but with my SC400 i would like a nice "easy" swap this time.

Lexus is so reliable and I wanted to know if the 1jz is a reliable swap and more info on what goes into it... Or at least link me to threads that have more than just a quick list and a "extend the harness explanation"
Old 04-04-07, 02:14 PM
onejayzee
Rookie

personally i think supraforums or supramania would help u better.
Old 04-04-07, 02:29 PM
sc250tt
Lexus Champion

hey man i did it twice as you may know .still have to post pics of the swap .this gets confusing because people doind swaps on sc3 think its the same as the sc4 .im leaving my office now but any q's you have feel free to pm me with it
Old 04-04-07, 02:32 PM
sc250tt
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by onejayzee
it would be more help if our cars had the same harness as the mk3 and mk4 supras ,supraforums will help with 1j specific questions ,as for doing the swap i'll have to say clublexus have more info you will need right now .what we need here on cl is a 1j section since its becoming popular
Old 04-04-07, 02:32 PM
21ce
Intermediate

Originally Posted by onejayzee
The reason I would beg to differ is because supras do not come with the 1uz and people have successfully swapped the 1jz motor in this forum.... If I don't have to swap parts out i would like to know which ones i could still keep.
Jtjerry:

"what from sc400 fit:
stock sc400 power steering lines fit
stock 1jz throttle cable fit
some wires in body harness do not fit
use 1jz shaft (sc400 shaft do not fit)
stock sc400 cross member fit
after swap I put only 0.6 bar (7 psi)
car is MUCh MUCH MUCH faster than poor weak grandma scock poor 1uz fe engine (great engine without power
fuel pump is still sc400 and it is still rich at wot at 7 psi (10.5-11.0 AFR)"

I understand that people are going to say, "sell the sc4 buy an sc3" but that is not the topic on hand, This thread was started in search of answers and not to be discouraged with those kind of comments. This lexus community has been so helpful, what is why i am so surprised this hasn't been convered in detail yet...

if you want to keep the SC4 radiator, until later changed, do you have to relocate the battery?

Do you need any additional resevoirs to be replaced? Im under the impression some people kept the SC4 bottles and some went to route of the SC3.

If your not able to get a front clip 1jz, would it be alright to get the motor tranny combo with all the goods on it (ecu, harness,...etc.) what else would be needed?

Last edited by 21ce; 04-04-07 at 02:37 PM.
Old 04-04-07, 02:35 PM
21ce
Intermediate

Originally Posted by sc250tt
it would be more help if our cars had the same harness as the mk3 and mk4 supras ,supraforums will help with 1j specific questions ,as for doing the swap i'll have to say clublexus have more info you will need right now .what we need here on cl is a 1j section since its becoming popular
I completely agree sc250tt! When the Dsm forum opened up a nt-t conversion section for my 420a motor it was so much easier to find answers and our question's weren't lost with the many 4g63t questions...
Old 04-04-07, 07:02 PM
cal9126
Pole Position

the wiring is the toughest part of doing the swap....the motor and trans all drop in with correct motor mounts etc..
Old 04-04-07, 09:16 PM
Sc400Red95
Driver

Honesty. Get a Soarer front end. Front clip... And just start swapping stuff over. The wiring will be a pain. But since you have the front clip you will have all the stuff you need. The 1j will drop right in. If your going to use a Supra(Mkiii) 1jz-gte. The transmission may be alittle short. IF you look on the Supra(MKiv), Soarer, Altezza. They have extended shifters. Not the actual shifter but the shifter doesn't sit in the trans. I am going to do this swap myself in acouple days. I am going 2jz-gte fully built. When i start i'll try and make it a DIY thread. But since i am doing a 2jz-gte. Your 1j questions will be answered since they are both 99.0% the same engine. With 1% difference.
Old 04-04-07, 09:46 PM
21ce
Intermediate

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Sc400Red95
Honesty. Get a Soarer front end. Front clip... And just start swapping stuff over. The wiring will be a pain. But since you have the front clip you will have all the stuff you need. The 1j will drop right in. If your going to use a Supra(Mkiii) 1jz-gte. The transmission may be alittle short. IF you look on the Supra(MKiv), Soarer, Altezza. They have extended shifters. Not the actual shifter but the shifter doesn't sit in the trans. I am going to do this swap myself in acouple days. I am going 2jz-gte fully built. When i start i'll try and make it a DIY thread. But since i am doing a 2jz-gte. Your 1j questions will be answered since they are both 99.0% the same engine. With 1% difference.

Thanks! I really appreciate that!! Any other help would be greatly appreciated. Once i part out or sell my talon i am looking to tackle this project!
Old 04-05-07, 08:22 PM
jm94tt
Driver School Candidate

21CE, I'm in the same boat as you. I have many different answers for the questions that I need answered. I have searched this topic on several different forums and have come up with a few different answers each time. My 1j should be here next week and I am still unclear as to what parts I still need to pick up to get it right....
Old 04-06-07, 06:58 AM
sc250tt
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by jm94tt
21CE, I'm in the same boat as you. I have many different answers for the questions that I need answered. I have searched this topic on several different forums and have come up with a few different answers each time. My 1j should be here next week and I am still unclear as to what parts I still need to pick up to get it right....
from whay i can remember you need
1.engine set from a SOARER ,with engine brackets and mounts ,tranny .ecu etc
2.radiator from soarer or supra tt
3.driveshaft from soarer or sc300
4. custom or sc300 a/c lines
5.intercooler and piping
6.extend the harness about 20 inches on the bodyplugs side DO NOT CUT THE ECU HARNESS .
7.power steering bottle from sc400 can work .i mounted mines on my fuse box
8.sc300 or supra radiator overflow bottle .
9.DO NOT CUT you existing powersteering lines you will have to use them on this swap , good luck with the swap i did to 2 sc400 already ,but if you want to do it another way its up to you ,im jus telling you the cleanest and easiest way to do it.
Old 04-06-07, 07:05 AM
BLK13X
Mortgage Slave

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Your best bet is probably getting a Soarer front cut (with all the bits) including ECU (unless you're going to change to a PowerFC or something similar) and gearbox (either A340E or R154), tailshaft and probably Soarer rear end (don't know if there's a difference between the... uh... diff's).

Quick Reply: thinking of swapping 1jz/5spd. into sc400. help appreciated