Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Suggestions for Bolt On exhaust???

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-07, 01:49 PM
tommyt811
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suggestions for Bolt On exhaust???

New to CL, so im a noob. I have a 93 sc400, so far completely stock (not for long) and i would like to know more about exhaust for this car.

Do they make complete bolt on kits? Are there differences between bolt on and welds? If i were to get bolt on mufflers or whatnot, what else do i need to put on my car?

i am a complete noob. So let me know guys. Sorry.
Old 03-03-07, 07:19 PM
Blizzy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

First off, please search. There are dozens of exhaust threads.

The closest thing to a bolt on for the SC400 will be an axle-back system that replaces the stock mufflers and a couple inches of pipe. This will effect the tone of the exhaust moreso than the performance characteristics. Anything beyond this will require a custom set-up that you and your exhaust shop will have to throw together.

Please let us know what your exhaust goals are. Are you looking for more sound? less sound? high pitched and raspy tone? low pitched and deep tone? low end performance? top end performance? bang for buck performance? the ultimate exhaust system?

Until you let us know your goals, it is impossible for us to guide you. Maybe you like the civic-esque fart cans. Maybe you want to put a trailer hitch on the back and increase torque from 500-2k rpms. Let us know...and search it up in the meantime.
Old 03-03-07, 09:02 PM
tommyt811
Driver School Candidate

something that'll sound more of a deep sound. Not too loud. If it increases HP then awesome, if not, no biggie.

I just want more of an aggressive sound.

Any ideas and tips on how i can go about starting this?
Old 03-03-07, 09:28 PM
Blizzy
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by tommyt811
something that'll sound more of a deep sound. Not too loud. If it increases HP then awesome, if not, no biggie.

In terms of bolt ons, Rod Millen Motorsports makes an axle-back system that sounds clean and deep. It is rather pricey at ~$550 for both mufflers and a few inches of pipe, but install should be a breeze. Video link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVa0vT3-P3I

For the same price, many other CL guys have replaced the entire stock system from the catalytic converters back. If you acquire an X-pipe (~$100) for exhaust gas pressure balancing and a pair of mufflers (~$250), Joe's Exhaust Shop can install them onto your car with piping in between for a couple hundred dollars.

If you are looking for a simple outlet, I would:
(1) Find an exhaust shop
(2) Find a muffler that fits your desires
(3) Have the shop swap the stock mufflers and resonators for your new mufflers and some 2.25" piping.

Even simpler solutions would involve the prior suggestion while reusing the stock mufflers. Simply removing the sound chambers from the middle of the exhaust system might do just what you are looking for.
Old 03-04-07, 12:29 AM
JohnEd
Lead Lap

Default exhaust

Tommy,

The most popular muf for that "sound" is the Dynomax. I think it must ahve a life span of a few years, at the outside, because it has packing. I like the Flowmaster 50 series with a 2.25 inch inlet and outlet. Try replaceing the muf alone and see how that works for you. If that isn't getting it done you can continue with the resonator removal and you keep your new muf and aren't out anything.

Whatever you do, don't start hanging 2.5 inch stuff under that car. You will loose power and the interior noise will make you cry.

Click on "search", then select "advanced", then type "exhaust" in the search field. There is enuf there to keep you busy for the remainder. Everything everyone here has done is there. What worked and what failed and why it failed.

Let us all know what you did and how it worked. Post a thead with the sound recorded so we can hear for ourselves like those you will hear in those threads. Good luck with your adventure and welcome to the club. Everyone here is superbly helpful. You can't buy.....!

John
Old 03-04-07, 06:14 AM
Blizzy
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by JohnEd
Try replaceing the muf alone and see how that works for you.
Probably the best advice. I got a little carried away.

My idea of removing the resonators would be a secondary attack plan if the muffler alone did not do the job.

Last edited by Blizzy; 03-04-07 at 06:19 AM.
Old 03-04-07, 08:31 PM
Blizzy
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by tommyt811

Replace what is circled in black first. Choose mufflers with sound characteristics most similar to your goals.

If that is not loud enough, replace what is circled in white with pipe. You will wake the dead.

ps. this is all a reiteration. I just found a sweet photo and figured it would aid comprehension.
Old 03-05-07, 10:31 AM
BigD026
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thinking of doing the same(just exhaust 1st) and was wondering what is the best place to buy either Flowmasters or Dynomax online? are there any distributors offering better prices than the companies online prices.
Can they bolt right up to the fittings ? or will i need to take them to a shop to be welded in place on my existing piping?

MemphisDave
Old 03-05-07, 11:55 AM
tommyt811
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Blizzy
Replace what is circled in black first. Choose mufflers with sound characteristics most similar to your goals.

If that is not loud enough, replace what is circled in white with pipe. You will wake the dead.

ps. this is all a reiteration. I just found a sweet photo and figured it would aid comprehension.
How will i know what to look for when im just buying mufflers? Any particular specs i will need to make it fit? Complete bolt on? Im looking for something that is as easy as just unbolting my existing mufflers, and just bolting on new ones. With the sound im looking for. HAHA, and im not planning on waking the dead. THat drawing really explains it to me.

Thanks for all the information you have provided so far. I really love the help that CL gives me.
Old 03-05-07, 01:25 PM
KrazeMatik
Lexus Test Driver

borla exhaust make bolts on heres a link how it looks like https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=268660
Old 03-05-07, 02:28 PM
Blizzy
Lexus Champion

True bolt-on systems are not common. Borla makes one. Rod Millen makes one. These are about the only systems out there that will be truly bolt on. Neither are cheap.

Getting a Magnaflow, Flowmaster, Dynomax, etc. muffler along with a few inches of pipe put on by an exhaust shop may be a cheaper alternative.

When looking for a muffler, 2.25" inlet/outlet design is what you want since that is the pipe diameter in that section of the stock system. Find a muffler that has the sound characteristics you want, and go nuts. Froogle.com is tool I use to see what I should be paying for a certain item.