Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

I think my Alternator died :(

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-07, 07:18 PM
Matador
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default I think my Alternator died :(

I got in the car today (93 sc300), turned the key, and nothing. None of the electronics work and the car didnt crank at all. Ive had the car for about 1 month with no major issues except for having the PS pump replaced right after buying it. Since then the car has been great. I drove the car 2 days ago and it ran like a champ, but today everything is dead. Im hoping its the battery, but have a bad feeling its the alternator. I read the DIY posted by MJHSC400 along with several other posts. The car is currently sitting in my school's parking garage making movement difficult. Could I go buy a voltmeter or something to test the current on the battery (a crappy one the previous owner had in there) or does it sound pretty much like an alternator problem.

Any ideas?
Old 02-17-07, 07:28 PM
Okcomputer
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Since your car wont start your battery is dead and the volt meter really wouldnt help you out. Get a new battery or charge yours and then use the voltmeter once the car is running. It might not be the alternator. if the car was completely dead when you got out of school and would not crank then something else most likely drained the battery, maybe you left your headlights on or something?
Old 02-17-07, 07:31 PM
Matador
Racer

My first thought was that something drained the battery, but I checked the headlights, cabin lights, etc. and every thing was in the off position. My buddy cant help me jump it till later tonight or tomorrow, but I still have no idea what would have drained it.
Old 02-17-07, 08:41 PM
GarrettSC
Rookie

Charge the battery/ or jump the car. When you start it up, put a voltmeter on the battery, if the voltmeter reads less than ~12 that means your alternator isn't putting voltage out to the battery and the car is running solely off battery power, if this is the case check alternator connections and fuses or bring the alternator to Autozone or somewhere where they test it for free. But if it reads ~14 (my SC400 reads around 15 so I don't know if it is different for SC300) then your alternator is putting out voltage to the battery and something is draining your battery overnight.

Good luck, hope this helped.
Old 02-19-07, 02:55 AM
Matador
Racer

Quick update: No one was available to take me to get a voltmeter, so I havent been able to test that yet. I jumped the car and moved it to an easier location, but it died after I parked. It actually tried to die halfway there and I was only goin across campus. Im gonna try to jump it again and head to autozone down the street, but once I get there Im pretty much stuck as it probably wont start up again once I park. Sorry I dont have the volt readings and such, but what do you guys think about the batt not holding a charge for more than a few min?
Old 02-19-07, 03:07 AM
RaynArt
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

so far it sounds like what i had.......... alternator
Old 02-19-07, 01:46 PM
Matador
Racer

Thats what Ive been thinking as well, do I even want to know how much those run?
Old 02-19-07, 04:55 PM
bens sc
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Matador
Thats what Ive been thinking as well, do I even want to know how much those run?
i have a used one if you need it. let me know
Old 02-19-07, 05:28 PM
TMaxxTim
Instructor

If you just had to replace your ps pump, then it was probably dripping on the alternator. A very common problem with the 400's. It drips and then the alternator takes a turn for the worst. If it was the battery, once you jump it, it would have stayed running from the power of the alternator, but it wounld't be able to start, if its dying while running then its the alternator. My 300's was two bolts and a belt, pretty easy to replace, I'd guess the 400 isn't much harder but I'm not really sure.
Old 02-19-07, 06:13 PM
Matador
Racer

Jason at JPImportz said it was leaking a little and to go ahead and replace it so I did about a month ago. I had the batt. checked and it was drained, but not bad yet. If i wanted to replace the alternator, how would I go about doing that? I have a 300, not 400. Im not the most handy, but with some instructions/pics I could prolly replace it. I read the sc400 DIY, but that didnt say how to remove the alternator from the 300 (same location?). TMaxxTim if you wouldnt mind, could you elaborate a lil on how you changed it?
Old 02-20-07, 09:35 AM
TMaxxTim
Instructor

Sorry I skimmed over the part where you said 300.

1) Remove accessory belt (pull down belt tensioner with a socket wrench and remove)

2) Remove the plug from the back of the alternator and the screw holding one wire on.

3) remove the 2 bolts holding on the alternator.

4) Reverse steps for reinstallation

It probably took me about 10 min to do.
Old 08-13-07, 06:33 AM
bluesharp
Driver School Candidate

Hey TMaxxTim, when you gave the R&R instructions for an SC300 alternator, shouldn't the battery be disconnected first before starting the procedure?
Old 08-13-07, 07:55 AM
TMaxxTim
Instructor

Yea, guess I figured that was a given.