Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Definitive 1JZ/5speed thread??

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-07, 01:29 PM
tavarish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Definitive 1JZ/5speed thread??

hey, in search of more information on this swap (92 SC300 auto to 1jz 5spd), I have come across much info, but many questions have come up.

here goes:

Can i use the 1jz auto ECU with a 5spd?
Do I need the soarer bellhousing for use with the R154 from a MKIII Supra?
Does the W58 just bolt on to the 1jz-gte?

I understand I need to lengthen the shifter on the MKIII R154 trans, are there any dealer parts that can do this, or can this be avoided in any way by using OEM parts?

if I get a 1jz from a MKIII Supra, will the wiring harness plug into the body harness of the SC?

Also, with a MKIII R154, what driveshaft will I have to use with the stock SC rear diff?

Also, is the hole for the master cylinder on the clutch pedal pre-drilled on the SC's, or do I have to make a template and drill it myself?

What clutch pedal/Master cylinder do I need to use for the 5spd swap? Will any MKIII/MKIV Supra Parts work?

I have searched for awhile, and there are the questions i've come up with.

Thanks in advance,
-Freddy
Old 02-10-07, 02:38 PM
D1GP
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 13 Posts

uhhh, I have found all your following question through research on the forum. Maybe you should look harder next time. I will be nice and answer them for you.

Originally Posted by tavarish
hey, in search of more information on this swap (92 SC300 auto to 1jz 5spd), I have come across much info, but many questions have come up.

here goes:

Can i use the 1jz auto ECU with a 5spd?YES
Do I need the soarer bellhousing for use with the R154 from a MKIII Supra?Its not a "Soarer Bellhousing" its called a 1JZ Bellhousing
Does the W58 just bolt on to the 1jz-gte?It does, but sucks ***

I understand I need to lengthen the shifter on the MKIII R154 trans, are there any dealer parts that can do this, or can this be avoided in any way by using OEM parts?You are pretty much *** out on this one, if you use MK3 R154, you need a custom job to lengthen the shifter

if I get a 1jz from a MKIII Supra, will the wiring harness plug into the body harness of the SC? YES

Also, with a MKIII R154, what driveshaft will I have to use with the stock SC rear diff?MK3 R154 Front and SC 5spd Rear

Also, is the hole for the master cylinder on the clutch pedal pre-drilled on the SC's, or do I have to make a template and drill it myself? Do not understand this Q

What clutch pedal/Master cylinder do I need to use for the 5spd swap? Will any MKIII/MKIV Supra Parts work? Supra MK4 or SC300

I have searched for awhile, and there are the questions i've come up with.

Thanks in advance,
-Freddy
Old 02-10-07, 04:48 PM
tavarish
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by D1GP
uhhh, I have found all your following question through research on the forum. Maybe you should look harder next time. I will be nice and answer them for you.
There's a hole in the firewall where the clutch pedal depresses the master cylinder for the clutch. i was wondering if there was already a hole for this, or does it have to be drilled, for the 5spd swap?

The entire r154 is different from the soarer to the supra?
Old 02-10-07, 08:45 PM
Rising_Sun
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

if I get a 1jz from a MKIII Supra, will the wiring harness plug into the body harness of the SC? NO!.....
The entire r154 is different from the soarer to the supra?
YUP!.....

Please visit www.clubna-t.com for more info
Old 02-10-07, 09:54 PM
tavarish
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Rising_Sun
YUP!.....

Please visit www.clubna-t.com for more info
I'm a member of that forum already, but nobody posts.

Just the fact that one person says I can use a harness, and one person says I can't, means I have a problem. lol

I'm most likely going to get a 1jz from a supra, not a soarer. What needs to be done to plug into the harness?
Old 02-11-07, 11:17 AM
Rising_Sun
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well, I wish you good luck on your project. The MKIII 1JZ mechanically is identical to the Soarer. But the harness has additional sensors plus the addition of the hydro fan. Depending on the year of the MKIII motorset the body plugs will be different. 87-88, 89, 90+ all have different body plugs. Here's some reference links to give you diagrams of all MKIII body plugs as well as Soarer body connectors.

http://www.1jz-gte. us/92Supra6.html

Last edited by Rising_Sun; 02-11-07 at 11:22 AM.
Old 02-11-07, 02:32 PM
tavarish
Lexus Test Driver

thanks, anyone have any links to the factory service manuals for the sc's? That would be VERY helpful.

I'm used to working on Nissans, and i get alot of informations from these manuals.

Are there any Haynes or Chilton Manuals for these cars?