Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

I dare you to figure this one out.........

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-07, 05:11 AM
sonoramike
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got a small drip coming from the rack, but fluid consumption is pretty high so I don't think that the prob is the drip from the rack. Will peer into the intake to see if I have fluid entering via the vacuum hoses later this morning. Will prob do this fix anyway regardless since the idle increase "feature" doesn't have much value to me.
Old 10-21-08, 01:56 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 335 Likes on 221 Posts

My PS regulator bypass fix explanation video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMwsaX2lgWA

(sorry I have a cold right now so I can't breathe to speak clearly. LOL)

PS- a year and a half later this is as perfect as it was when I did it. Works very well and I've never driven an SC with steering this smooth.

Last edited by O. L. T.; 10-21-08 at 02:05 PM.
Old 10-21-08, 02:09 PM
SHOLEXMAN
Lexus Test Driver

I just read this old *** post I figured it out without reading the 4 pages. No joke. They had this issue with the LS400's with burning oil ,but it ended up being the leaking power steering valve.
Old 10-21-08, 02:10 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Yeah when this is feeding PS oil into the intake it will smoke like crazy out the exhaust. You'll swear the rings are gone in the engine.
Old 10-21-08, 03:47 PM
shern
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Resurrection.

I've been running with the bypass for a while now. No issues.
Old 10-21-08, 05:30 PM
shajbot
Advanced

Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts

A little off topic but my P/S doesn't work and here are the symptoms if you guys can make any diagnoses from it.

- P/S pump makes quiet noise when steering wheel is turned.
- Normal operation has no power assist, when moving it's a bit easier but from dead stop it's quite a work out.
- As soon as the steering wheel turn all the way to either end the whole steering locks up, it takes like 100lb of torque to turn it a couple of inches but it returns to no power after some driving.

I was quoted $800 to replace the steering rack and pinion that gone bad but I want to hear you guys opinion too. And the guy told me this thing has an 'EVO component' I looked it up and it's the whole variable power assisting thing you guys have been trying to block off so I aparently don't need right?
Old 10-29-08, 08:03 PM
drft_n_VIP
Rookie

HAHAHA!!! my car JUST started do the same exact thing as urs did!!! And thanks to ur thread (hopefullt) I'll be saving me some money!!! and it helps with other questions I had about my disconnected lines... ur a good man!
Old 10-31-08, 12:22 PM
gabegtz84
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gosh!

This thread reminds me of a college case study.
Old 04-13-09, 04:14 PM
HellFish
Lexus Test Driver

lets bring this back from the kinda dead. i just did this fix on my car. a few months ago i had the startup problem with white smoke. so i pulled the vac hoses from the intake. no more smokey startups. since then i had a bit of a leak on the power steering pump side, so i figured id have the pump rebuilt and check out my high pressure line.

i had a new line made for me when i bought the car so the line was still great, no leaks whatsoever.

the leak ended up coming from the idle up valve, so i pulled the valve and sealed it off. so far so good. lets see how it looks in a month.

so to any of you guys out there with this problem. this is the thread to check out.
Old 04-13-09, 06:51 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

2+ years for me with zero issue and no change in driving habits. I can't tell I did it.
Old 04-20-09, 03:29 PM
84GTS
Driver School Candidate

Default PS fluid leaks

Hi-
I was reading your great thread on PS plug fix.. and tried to understand how a picture of overflowing reservoir relates to the fix? I have been having PS fluid leaks - mostly I think from a return line, so I cleaned my PS reservoir and screen inside it (could not get to the solenoid filter) and put some synthetic Mobil1 fluid, now I have the an overflowing reservoir, the way you had it pictured.. In addition I get some small bubbles inside reservoir (which I'll try to eliminate by flushing and getting air out of the system).. Did your fix eliminate overflowing reservoir? Any tips are greatly appreciated.. Thank you in advance!..
Old 09-21-09, 09:43 AM
Dr.Fate
Pole Position

Okay guys I'm having some issues with my power steering as well. I have A 1jz swap in and I'm have some p.s. steering issues. When I bought the car it had Lots of leaking at the PS lines, LOTS of noise and the guy I bought it from was putting synthetic PS fluid in the reservoir. I did not think anything of it, because the car was soon to have a motor swap, nor did I know that this Toyota uses DEXTRON 2. After the motor swap the guys that did the swap told me that I had a bad power steering pump. I replaced it ( Had new PS lines ) and still noise and ATF JUST IS GONE! Two weeks after the swap poof WHITE SMOKE! took it to a shop in san diego 935MOTORSPORTS and the mechanics over there thought it it was the valve seals. so I had them them replaced, still white smoke when I start the car lots of smoke, then it goes away after a while WTF! I called the shop back and said that I still have white smoke, they told me to run the car get some of the old oil out, so I did and still white smoke! Now is this problem some how related to my PS issues? and if so is there a way fix this with a 1jz (stock) swap? Or is it a matter of the turbos going bad? and if anybody has pictures with a 1jz swap and how they fixed this issue that would be cool.
Old 09-21-09, 10:48 AM
SLEXC400
Rookie

Hey Dr. Fate, there is a pressure switch that is used as an idle-up when the steering wheel is at max travel. If that switch is bad on your car you would lose power steering fluid and I'm sure you would see smoke as the fluid was burned. I simply took my switch out, plugged the port and hoses. I found out how to do it here on Clublexus. I'm sure I can find the thread again if you need it. Let me know. By the way, I have no issues whatsoever running without the switch ...
Old 09-21-09, 10:56 AM
SLEXC400
Rookie

LOL! I should have looked at the posts in the thread, as there is all sorts of info about what I was just referring to. Oh well --- let us know if you need help!
Old 09-24-09, 02:28 PM
Superjatt
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ookk so like my cars smoking like crazy.. i opened up all the hoses and even tried to replace the ps thing
the cars still smoking like crazy.. and im pretty sure its not ps because the ps fluid is not going anywere...
andy help/?

Quick Reply: I dare you to figure this one out.........