Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

newb ? on 92 sc300.

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-07, 10:12 AM
D15Bbigred
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default newb ? on 92 sc300.

K , well i've thought about it and I would like to to purchase this car. but i have a few ?'s before i do it. the car currently sits with 177 k . runs good. but i'm sure could run better. I've got the option to switch out the motor with a japanese replacement. Now i've really sorry , I couldn't find a sticky on this subject i'm more of a honda-tech guy. so bare with me. I beleive the replacement is a 2jzge. correct me if i'm wrong.

I was quote 950.00 for longblock only. and 1200.00 misc parts and install. tell me. does this sound extremeely high to some people? I don't want to do any crazy turbo swaps just have a nice running car with a low mileage engine. any thoughts an help is definently welcome. thnx. and any other useful info is really really welcome.
Old 01-23-07, 10:35 AM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

First welcome to the club!

Sounds a bit high. This shop is offering a replacement "Japanese" 2JZ-GE for $950?? If it's Japanese it is most likely used. They probably state that it has around 50k on it. You can get a quality replacement right here in the states.

Why does it need to be replaced? The 2J is quite strong. Outside of head damage, a little bit of work puts her back to new.
Old 01-23-07, 10:37 AM
Turbology
Rookie

So the quote is for $950 + $1,200? Or $1,200 total including install? Chidoks has bought more 2JZ-GEs than I can count for his SC300 and now his Supra, so send him a PM.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/members/37685-chidoks.html
Old 01-23-07, 11:23 AM
Streamline
Pole Position

I say give your engine a tuneup first. It's far cheaper than an engine swap.

It's not like your adding forced induction or swapping in a different engine. You're swapping the same engine.

So give your engine a tuneup to see what's up.
Old 01-23-07, 12:08 PM
D15Bbigred
Driver School Candidate

thank you for the help so far, yeah i'm only preparing for the worst as far as the engine goes.. so i would not swap it right now. and yeah 950.00 for a long blong japanese replacement plus 1200.00 for install. i mean hell the car is only 3600.00 . blue book puts it at 5500.00 in good condition. i asked the seller . who sounded very knowledgeable. why it was so cheap. and they are moving and need to get rid of it asap. so that explained that.

so am i correct is saying the engine is a 2jzge ?

what kind of things should i look for with an engine with this kind miles. any known problems?

i don't plan on racing this or doing anything. but does this have some get up and go? compared to my honda i would sure as hell hope so anyway.

i'm basically sick of hondas. my current turbo requires too much work and just want a nice family starter car.
Old 01-23-07, 12:29 PM
DIrEctQL
Chicago Lexus Club Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by D15Bbigred
K , well i've thought about it and I would like to to purchase this car. but i have a few ?'s before i do it. the car currently sits with 177 k . runs good. but i'm sure could run better. I've got the option to switch out the motor with a japanese replacement. Now i've really sorry , I couldn't find a sticky on this subject i'm more of a honda-tech guy. so bare with me. I beleive the replacement is a 2jzge. correct me if i'm wrong.

I was quote 950.00 for longblock only. and 1200.00 misc parts and install. tell me. does this sound extremeely high to some people? I don't want to do any crazy turbo swaps just have a nice running car with a low mileage engine. any thoughts an help is definently welcome. thnx. and any other useful info is really really welcome.
JDM is not better when it comes to 2JZ-GE. It's more or less the same so it would be pointless if you have a good working motor.

If you want to turbo the car in the future just do swap the short block and rebuild the head.
Old 01-23-07, 12:57 PM
D15Bbigred
Driver School Candidate

yeah i would just like to keep it stock have a nice daily driver. turbo is out of the question . allready have one, and to have one on a inline 6. no thanx. well i'm going to test drive it tonight. i'm the automatic is gonna be really wierd. hopefully it goes well.
Old 01-23-07, 01:00 PM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by D15Bbigred
so am i correct is saying the engine is a 2jzge ?

what kind of things should i look for with an engine with this kind miles. any known problems?

i don't plan on racing this or doing anything. but does this have some get up and go? compared to my honda i would sure as hell hope so anyway.

i'm basically sick of hondas. my current turbo requires too much work and just want a nice family starter car.

Yup 2JZ-GE is correct.

The 2J is a fantastic engine. Makes good power in stock form. You may not notice a lot more "get up and go" as compared to your Honda though. The SC weighs in at a portly 3500-3600 lbs in stock trim so the 225hp and 210lb/ft of torque aren't much of a factor.

177k miles really aren't alot for these cars if maintained. Do a full tune up (plugs, wires, all fluids and all filters, maybe even a leakdown test just to be sure of compression). Seafoam the engine and see how she runs!
Old 01-23-07, 01:16 PM
D15Bbigred
Driver School Candidate

sounds awesome thnx for the help guys.
Old 01-23-07, 02:49 PM
Turbology
Rookie

Excellent advice from everybody. The 2JZ-GE and GTE are relatively bullet-proof motors even with substantial upgrades and tuning.

The 2JZ-GE is like a tank; it will last for a long time with a little refresh or a rebuild.
Old 01-23-07, 02:55 PM
D15Bbigred
Driver School Candidate

well i'll defienntly do a compression test. what are good numbers?. hondas are like 180's. sorry i think last question. lol