Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

AHHH HELP yeah i know this is bad but i need HELP

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-07, 02:03 AM
92S0ARER
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation AHHH HELP yeah i know this is bad but i need HELP

Hey guys, i have a 1992 sc400. Im just a highschool kid and i dont have too much money. I was driving my baby soarer and i was stupid enough to try a neutral drop. If you dont know what this is, its when you rev while in neutral, then drop the gear in D. Neautral Drop on an auto... wow bad *** idea. My car still runs but doesnt have as much power as before. I think its the Tranny. I live in las vegas nevada, and i need help on the cheapest and best place to fix my tranny. Also i was just wondering, can an auto tranny be fixed? or does it have to be replaced. Oh god, i just blew my tranny pretty much. It drives up to fourth gear but the power in the lower rpms totaly suck. When im cruising 20 mph then floor it, the engine just simply revs until something catches on then it shifts gear. Tell me, is there a problem with the tranny? Timing belt? I know it has something to do with the tranny though. And when i idle, at 8000-1000 rpm, the whole car kinda jiggles. Please soarer fam. Help a newcomer out.
Old 01-07-07, 02:22 AM
DryBlaze
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Who told you to do a neutral drop? Really dumb idea and if it was a friend that told you to do that I would slap the crap out of them.
Old 01-07-07, 02:37 AM
DonJuan45i
Lead Lap

man thats not good. I cant be too much older than you, and i never did that too my cars lol, and this is exactly why, just the shear thought.

put on your flame suit lol j/k while Im not saying you didnt pay for your car, but most of the kids you see treat their cars like siht because it didnt cost them anything. Well having a new bimmer in hyke school, and the cars complete cost coming out of my pocket. Didnt leave me much room to mess with it, I treated that car like if it was made out of thin glass.

while I would have loved to drop the pedal on it, especially those moments when all eyes are on you, lol. I never did as I knew the unpredictible wasnt going to be readily affordable, instead I bought a set of wheels that gave them something to look at on top of the car as I slowly sped away.

well i am not here to lecture, just from one teen to another, but put your falme suit on.

I would take your car to get diagnosed, make sure its a reputable shop that you take it to, and a mechanic you trust. I know of places where you take it in for a tune up, then they tell you urgently need $500 worth of repairs. so take it to someone that isnt looking to reach deep into your pocket.

And I would not tell them what you did, a good mechainc would find it anyway. what I would do is tell them you let someone borrow the car and they brought it back like that. Then that might make them feel sorry for you and really take a good look at the car and determine what is exactly wrong with it.

after that if you do need a tranny, I would start to look for salvage yards and see if they got any good trannies. this would be one of your cheapest routes, then just have the car taken to get the tranny dropped in.

What I have learned about transmissions through my mom and her 96 mercury sable is that a transmission is best left to either a dealer or reputable source. She spent 600-700 bucks on a rebuilt tranny which needed rebuilt/replaced 3 times. while it was a cheap temporary fix, the key word is temporary. in the end she spent about the same it would have cost to get the car fixed properly in the first place. So if you purcahse a tranny or get a rebuild try to get a gaurantee.

but good luck man, hopefully it isnt nothing major. keep us posted
Old 01-07-07, 02:49 AM
DriftNsc3
Lexus Champion

Sounds like your gears are slipping. IDK for sure but it kinda sounds like that. It doesn't make a grinding noise, does it? Make sure your not leaking any tranny fluid anywhere.
Old 01-07-07, 03:52 AM
Dramon
Driver

i dont know anything about sc400s but if its anything like the 300, you should be able to find a tranny for dirt cheap.
Old 01-07-07, 08:44 AM
96gti2.0t
Lead Lap

sounds like your trans went into limp-in mode which doesnt give you alll the gears as a safety future try disconnecting the battery maybe it just went into limpin because you did the neutral drop if your lucky but it might be in trouble
Old 01-07-07, 04:47 PM
DonJuan45i
Lead Lap

lets hope its what 96gti said!
Old 01-08-07, 07:26 AM
sc250tt
Lexus Champion

its in limp mode because you probably blew a solenoid probably the no.2 solenoid
Old 01-08-07, 07:32 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Old 01-08-07, 05:04 PM
92S0ARER
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the advice guys, im hoping its just a limpin. Im resetting the car right now. Haha but yeah man, i actually bought the car. For a great price too ($2000). I want to be a drifter, and i just tried a neutral drop because i didnt think it would be too harmful. I drove the car today, still slips gears and jiggles when it idles. I asked this guy that does transmission work, and he said probably 1000$ to fix it. I think i might tow the car to autobahn to get a diagnosis.

I fixed up my friends hondas and crap but this is way more complex. and faster haha. But this is no honda rice rocket.

Theres barely any bad things with it. Just mostly transmission and the linkage to the driver side door. I opened it up and theres a piece of metal that broke off, now the handle wont open it.

I just use the little wire. Does anyone know if the linkage is easy to fix?
Old 01-08-07, 05:20 PM
tkafam1
Pole Position

Sorry, I can't offer any advice, but I had to say this: Cherplex, that is the funniest reply I've seen yet on CL!
Old 01-08-07, 05:26 PM
CLNSC3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by cherplex
haha no ****
Old 01-08-07, 05:33 PM
MJHSC400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, at least all it'll tear up is the tranny and all 3 engine mounts-- But that'll only be close to what you paid for the car.
Old 01-09-07, 04:01 AM
92S0ARER
Driver School Candidate

I dont know about solenoids but i drove the car today, and noticed the lack in power in really low rpms. It is shifting regularly now but when i put in drive without any throttle, the cars rpms seem to drop to 500. Im thinking that the problem isnt the transmission now, and that the problem is probably "limp mode". Im going to try to disconnect the battery tommorow and hopefully it will lose the "limp". And if all works out good i will LOVE to thank you guys. I wanna thank you guys now actually for giving me the tips. And telling me about the "limp mode". Hahah i almost got a complete transmission job for no reason. phew!
Old 01-09-07, 04:02 AM
92S0ARER
Driver School Candidate

oh and btw, im never neutral dropping again haha screw that.

Quick Reply: AHHH HELP yeah i know this is bad but i need HELP