Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Dear Carson Toyota, thanks :'D My car is about to ride like new

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-06, 09:43 AM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 335 Likes on 221 Posts
Default Dear Carson Toyota, thanks :'D My car is about to ride like new

Man I am running out the door to grab the jack.

The only problem is every time I replace something I have to do it twice since I have two SC's.

That's ok though, I've been waiting on this for a long time and finally got around to it.
Attached Thumbnails Dear Carson Toyota, thanks :'D My car is about to ride like new-dscn2112.jpg  
Old 11-22-06, 10:27 AM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by O. L. T.
Man I am running out the door to grab the jack.

The only problem is every time I replace something I have to do it twice since I have two SC's.

That's ok though, I've been waiting on this for a long time and finally got around to it.
OEM engine mounts or better ones?
Old 11-22-06, 10:37 AM
jibbby
Banned - could not follow forum rules

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OLT - How much did those mounts cost at the dealer?...I think I too am ready for a change on my SC......Tranny and motor mounts...
Old 11-22-06, 10:45 AM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Originally Posted by Koma
OEM engine mounts or better ones?
The OEM one's are the better one's IMO. The harder the rubber, the stiffer the ride. I want my car to ride as smoothly as possible. If the mounts are more solid than OEM they tend to produce vibration. You can tell by driving two cars set up with each mount.
Old 11-22-06, 10:47 AM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Originally Posted by jibbby
OLT - How much did those mounts cost at the dealer?...I think I too am ready for a change on my SC......Tranny and motor mounts...
Don't honestly remember. Give Luis a call at carson or PM him.

id: Carson-Lex

Luis Salazar
Manager - Internet Sales
800-908-6968
Old 11-22-06, 11:54 AM
jibbby
Banned - could not follow forum rules

Thanks, I have changed those mounts before on other older SC's before and it really did make a big difference especailly if you original mounts are in bad shape...You should see nice results....
Old 11-22-06, 02:55 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Well it's "tighter" on the throttle, but I only managed to get the engine mounts changed because they fought me the whole way. It'll smooth out a lot more once I change the tranny mount tomorrow.
Old 11-25-06, 02:00 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

OMG ALL my problems were in the tranny mount! I thought the engine mounts had a more profound effect, but I can tell you right now everything centers on the tranny mount for noise, vibration. The reason is because the engine mounts still have rubber to rest on when they go bad, but the tranny mount is metal to metal when it goes.

I had a vibration even when sitting still, as well as lot's of engine noise in the cabin. I changed the engine mounts and it was only a slight difference. I changed the tranny mount and EVERYTHING disappeared.

It is SOOOOOO quiet inside I almost started the car twice! I couldn't tell it was running. Now honestly, we all get in our cars and know the thing is running once we start it. There's always SOME engine noise. When you have new engine and tranny mounts there is NOTHING. If you have to look at the tach to know the car is running, you know those mounts are doing the job.

The tranny mount was holding the key though. I'd wager anyone wanting to eliminate cabin noise and vibration could skip the engine mounts and just do the tranny and have an amazing difference.

It did not matter whether I was sitting still or moving, I had engine noise. I can not even HEAR my engine running now. I have two SC's and the gold one has always been smooth and quiet but after seeing what brand new mount is like, I gotta change the other one. I didn't know there was a problem!

Visual inspection with the car sitting normal is not possible because the car rests on the mounts and they look normal, but take the weight off by lifting up on the engine and tranny and you get this!
Attached Thumbnails Dear Carson Toyota, thanks :'D My car is about to ride like new-dscn2191.jpg  
Old 11-25-06, 02:01 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Here's what it looks like when you try and put it together, check out the first pic in the thread and compare.

I have always preached the mounts will make a difference (all rubber) because of others experiences, but man you just don't know until you do it.

Amazing. It's like I bought a new car.
Attached Thumbnails Dear Carson Toyota, thanks :'D My car is about to ride like new-dscn2192.jpg  
Old 11-26-06, 01:39 PM
AME_VIP
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thanks for the info!

As far as install, can this be done with just jack stands and without a cherry picker?
Old 11-26-06, 01:54 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

It's a LOT easier to do the tranny mount with a lift, but I did it on a jack. Laying out sideways pulling bolts sucks. About twice the time.

I couldn't find an acceptable spot to jack the engine up and wasn't comfortable putting all the weight on just the oil pan - even with wood to spread the load, so I used a cherry picker.
Old 11-26-06, 02:10 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I got my tranny mounts changed a couple years ago and you're right OLT, it was like getting into a new car again. The engine mounts weren't my problem, just tranny. I know how you feel.
Old 11-26-06, 02:51 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

It's so hard to make anyone understand the difference because like I said with my gold Sc..... I was not aware anything was wrong. It all seemed normal, average engine noise in the cabin. Once you see what a new tranny mount is like though you are like "damn I never knew there was an issue!".

If you can hear your engine at ALL, you need to change the mount. If you feel the car's vibrations at ALL, you need to change your mount. If your mount has more than 50k on it, you need to change your mount.

In proper form, the SC is one of the most quiet and smooth cars on the road. It's so silent inside the car now the sound of the leather seats as I move around is annoying LOL. They aren't even squeaking or rubbing, just the sound of the leather against my pants as I shift position! That my friend is a quiet car!
Old 11-27-06, 09:02 AM
ndnxtc
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by O. L. T.
It's so hard to make anyone understand the difference because like I said with my gold Sc..... I was not aware anything was wrong. It all seemed normal, average engine noise in the cabin. Once you see what a new tranny mount is like though you are like "damn I never knew there was an issue!".

If you can hear your engine at ALL, you need to change the mount. If you feel the car's vibrations at ALL, you need to change your mount. If your mount has more than 50k on it, you need to change your mount.

In proper form, the SC is one of the most quiet and smooth cars on the road. It's so silent inside the car now the sound of the leather seats as I move around is annoying LOL. They aren't even squeaking or rubbing, just the sound of the leather against my pants as I shift position! That my friend is a quiet car!
So I think it's safe to say you are more than happy with your upgrade How long approximately did it take you to do the tranny mounts?
Old 12-05-06, 06:57 AM
Blu92SC4
Rookie

Hey folks,
I'm planning to change my mounts too and was quoted for <$115 from Sewell Lexus online for engine/tranny mounts. Is there anything else I should consider changing/repairing while changing the mounts, OLT? Ive already had my LCA bushings replaced. Anything else I'm missing?

Quick Reply: Dear Carson Toyota, thanks :'D My car is about to ride like new