Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Could it be.....Turbo?!

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-01, 02:03 PM
SC300T
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would do 5 degrees from 4000 to 5000rpm. You don't need it up high, as the stock ECU does some retard in this region.

I guess I shouldn't bother posting videos of kills anymore. They get no response on this forum.
Old 10-29-01, 06:10 AM
CmputerWiz
Lexus Test Driver

Default Responses to SC300T, SC300TURBO, Bean, Wolfy, Toan, Veilside, and whoever else :)

I believe the springs are color coded for psi. Do you have a Turbonetics delta gate? Could you have the vacuum ports wrong on the wastegate? I don't remember which lines go where right off hand, but you've got to get good low stable boost from just the waste gate before you go altering everything else.

Yep, Turbonetics. Vacuum ports are all correct, I even put a new vacuum hose in between the two to verify that the hose wasn't pinched or something internally. Still the same problem.

Funny, I can't run a constant 12psi in cold weather on pump gas, (although I may hit 13 psi at 6500rpm.) I typically will run .7 bar (10psi) at 3000-5000rpm.

Yes...but don't forget what gas I run You already gave me crap about running 100 octane all the time with no boost...lol I've now e-mailed a couple people at VP Racing Fuels, I'm gonna see what kind of price I can get on 55gal drums of 110 octane and run that all the time. If I can get the cost to $2.50 a gallon I'll do it. If not, I'll be sticking with 100, and maybe octane booster if it still detonates.

BTW... I'm prepping my car for round #2 of me v.s. 2000 WS6 with 175 shot of NOS tonight (highway roll), should be fun. I got him the first time out, but he said he's got a few surprises for me. We'll see.

So what happened?

dynoed today..537rwhp and 524 rwtq...im super happy..
a toyomoto supra ran 777 rwhp through an auto tranny with stock pistons rods...crank and stock cams...amazing......Jeff

Jeff, I must say, that just kicks some major ***. I like seeing high torque #'s too....unlike some honda's I've seen with like 200hp 120tq. How in the hell does that work out...LOL

ComputerWiz... glad to hear you like the turbo... now go out there and get some road kills

Oh yes....that's in the picture

hey compwiz,
when you are ready to order your clutch, let me know, we can order them togethor and maybe save a little money?? hopefully. Where are you from again??
by the way. you think its possible to get a turbo on the car in one day?

We can try that with the clutch, I'll need one SOON. Right now, I'm in Virginia. I'll be in North Carolina next week. Then I'll be back in Miami a couple weeks after that. Turbo in one day? Well....maybe if you worked 24hrs straight....and had installed one before so you know whats going on.

Just wondering if you are going to keep that small intercooler in the side duct?

In the future I'm going to get a FMIC, but for now the side mount seems ok. I've also put a fan on the intercooler, so the duct size isn't as big of a problem as you would expect. It gets constant airflow. 12" fan from Autozone, $25. Wired in with the electric radiator fans.

I'm planning on getting a Apexi' ITC to retard my ignition... so if i bumped back the ignition some with the NOS it'd be ok?

Good luck finding one...I've looked forever. Everyone SAYS they have them...then they call you back and say "oh, they've been discontinued and the manufacturer has no more." They're getting ready to produce their new version. I've been watching parts trader for one.

I guess I shouldn't bother posting videos of kills anymore. They get no response on this forum.

I wanna see!

SR
Old 10-29-01, 06:16 AM
SC300T
Lexus Test Driver

Wiz,
I posted the videos in both the SC300 forum and the Racing Stories forum on Sunday.... Take a look.

I wish I had access to 100 octane unleaded up here... Must be nice. 12psi would be easy on 100 octane. I managed 17psi on pure CAM2 116.
Old 10-29-01, 06:42 AM
VeilsideRSPsc
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

we have an apexi itc here at the shop if you're interested... email me at bng@alltel.net .

- brian
'92 turbo veilside rsp sc300

{
team koncept racing
hyper racing
team toyo
valvoline
apr performance
}
Old 10-29-01, 09:46 AM
wolfy187
Pole Position

where in virginia?? I'm in DC. i will come down to you and check out your car if you are not that far away.

Arthur
Old 10-29-01, 10:59 AM
CmputerWiz
Lexus Test Driver

Just north of Richmond, near Ashland... I'm here until Saturday.

SR
Old 10-29-01, 08:09 PM
wolfy187
Pole Position

how many miles south is that from DC?? why don't you come up to swift on saturday mornin then.... a few of us might be meeting up at swift.

ON a side note

Scott can you PM me how much you paid for your kit

SR can you do the same. I am just wondering

Arthur
Old 10-30-01, 04:03 AM
CmputerWiz
Lexus Test Driver

It's about 1.5hrs from DC, depending on traffic. Where's Swift at?

I doubt I'll be coming up there...I've gotta get a new clutch. Last night I ran a couple people....and there was this supposedly "stock" Integra. Well I had to run hard, and that was the run that did me in. My clutch won't hold in ANY gear. Well sometimes first, if it's still cold. If I push the throttle even half way down....it slips right out.

Of course...this did start...after I pulled the 5lb spring and put in a 9lb one, retarded the timing 5deg, and started running 110 octane gas. I'm getting bursts of 15 pounds with no detonation at ALL!!!

I guess I'll be calling Toyomoto today to order the clutchmasters clutch. Damn...I wasn't expecting to spend this yet.

And on another note...I'll be looking for some new tires...I was spinning them thru fourth gear until my clutch died.

I don't know how accurate the G-Tech thing is for horsepower, but it gave the reading 362hp, and that's with the bad clutch, and having to shift at 5500rpms. I can't WAIT to get the clutch so I can do a real dyno. A friend of mine here in Richmond has one at his shop...we tried it, and my clutch wouldn't hold to spin the rollers.

And yes I tried the 1/4mi setting on the G-Tech...no go. My car won't really get above 90 before the clutch lets out...and that's when driving easy.

SR
Old 10-30-01, 06:18 AM
wolfy187
Pole Position

good luck with clutchmasters. i was going to order vitek with you. but i see you are in a hurry. how are you going to get this thing back to Miami??

Arthur
Old 10-30-01, 07:22 AM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

comp wiz: be sure to post the model # of the clutch you get... Clutchmaster's description on their various 2jz clutches is very sketchy
Old 10-30-01, 12:57 PM
CmputerWiz
Lexus Test Driver

wolfy..... I'll be putting the clutch in myself....the dealership wants $475 to do it, NO way. I'll just bite the bullet and drop the tranny....ugh

Bean.... I ordered it from Toyomoto. When I get it, I'll post pics and the model # of it on here.

SR
Old 11-01-01, 03:22 PM
CmputerWiz
Lexus Test Driver

Default HP

I would have to say the rear wheel horsepower reading pictured below is pretty good. I can't take the car above 5000rpm's (due to that DAMN CLUTCH!!), so there's plenty more HP actually there than this shows. Jeff...where's the highest HP on your car at...what RPMs?

I ran it once this morning when it was still cold, and the clutch held. It said 461hp, but I think that was a misreading somehow. Maybe the weight was incorrect or something. The GVWR on the door is 4445, and you're supposed to remove 200lbs from that for each person that is not in there, correct? I would be REALLY damn happy if it was at 461hp...lol Of course, 10:1 compression, and over 1bar (15psi) I really don't know what to think it would be at.

SR
Attached Thumbnails Could it be.....Turbo?!-mvc-022s.jpg  
Old 11-01-01, 07:41 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

compwiz, please list your turbo setup, ignition timing, octane of fuel, etc...

461 is way off... better recalculate it
Old 11-01-01, 07:54 PM
SC300T
Lexus Test Driver

Bean, 461 is not WAY off... On a cold day, expect quite a bit more power... You've also got fresh air forced over the intercooler at a high rate of speed, not stagnant air hanging around a dyno shop. SC300s have measured from 3700-3900lbs depending on stuff. The Toyomoto kit adds quite a bit of weight with the extra plumbing, intercooler, iron manifold, etc. Car and Driver listed a stock dry weight around 3650. Add fuel, driver and mods, you'll get close to 4000lbs. Better yet, calculate a 4100lb car going (me + a passenger) going 55 to 140 in 12 seconds... Even with these being dyno queens, they actually make more power when rolling in real air v.s. strapped to the rollers. I think the 461 number, although not corrected for temperature is pretty close, especially when cold.
Old 11-02-01, 06:19 AM
CmputerWiz
Lexus Test Driver

Bean...

TO4E turbo, external wastegate, open-air BOV

Timing retarded 6 degrees from factory.

Fuel was 93 octane plus two bottles of 108+ Off-Road octane booster

Temp outside was around 50, car was still cold (only time clutch will sometimes hold). Car sat outside that night, so likely the metal parts of the engine were still below 50deg. (got to 30 that night....ACK!)

Boost gauge hit 1.01 bar....I believe that's 15psi

10:1 compression

Air/fuel ratio was around .985 - 1.02 the whole time...still too rich...maybe I need to spray a 50shot to fix that...LOL Of course it shows a higher a/f until the O2 sensor is hot...so who knows on this one.

Electric fan on intercooler for constant air

I ran 1st - 4th gear (then the clutch started breaking loose)

I had the weight set to 3845lbs. If this was too LOW...then my HP reading would have shown LOWER than it really is...so that would mean the reading "should" have been higher. Car...bodykit...a ton of stereo...50lb toolbox in the back seat...junk all over...full NOS bottle....half tank gas....etc. Heavy. My dads a state trooper....I just talked to him, and I'm taking my car up to the truck scales on the interstate today to get it weighed so I'll know the REAL weight to enter.

SR

Quick Reply: Could it be.....Turbo?!