Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Power Steering Help Please

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-06, 09:31 AM
98LexSc400
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Power Steering Help Please

I have a 98 SC400 that had a leaking power steering pump. I could not find one anywhere that was avalaible as a reman, and lexus is too high for a new one so I found a local source in Texas that rebuilds them a company called APSCO that has a one day turn around time.

Once I got the old one off I decided to have the p/s hose rebuilt too just too make sure it wasn't also leaking cheap insurance since I know they do leak too.

I got everything put back together reinstalled all lines and vaccum hoses and then filled it with new ATF-III Dexron fluid. With the car still jacked up I started it and turned the wheels side to side and stopped the engine and then topped off the fluid. I then restarted it and the pump was still whining, but there was still alot of bubbles in fluid so I continued to turn lock to lock about 10 times and turned off the car and let everything cool. Went back checked the fluid and then started it and did my lock to lock turns another 10 times and the noises and moaning seemed to have gone away along with the bubbles.

I finally lower the car on the ground and go for a test drive after letting the car idle for a while. I procede to drive the car and the steering felt terrible like it went from loose to tight turning from side to side. Almost like it had pressure and lost it. After driving a little longer it just becomes tight to steer all the time and I hear it whining/moaning again. I stop and check the fluid no leaks and the resevoir is still full.

What really sucks is that everything worked fine before the rebuild it just leaked now this.

I have done tons of searches and read everything I could find.

Last edited by 98LexSc400; 10-25-06 at 09:37 AM.
Old 10-25-06, 09:49 AM
98LexSc400
Pole Position

I have gone back and pulled the pump off the car thinking that it was a faulty rebuild and sent it back and the company tested it and said it was working fine making over 1000psi. What gives I had no issues before this rebuild other than a stupid leak, now I have no power steering. I did not see any real trash in my old fluid and it was fairly clean from always adding fresh fluid.

Things I checked before giving up:

I tried bleeding the system multiple times but I have no signs of air and the turning with the wheels off the ground seems to make no difference.

I checked to make sure they didn't change control valves on my pump I heard they have different letters for different models?

I also cleaned the resevoir really good with brake clean and air and made sure the hoses were all tight and not leaking.

I also looked inside the resevoir with the cap off with the car running and there is no real fluid movement that I can see.

I read some articles on early LS400's that have a solenoid on the rack that has screens that get clogged causing problems like I might be having. But I thought that lexus did away with these?

Is there something I am missing, I guess I should have done a complete flush as soon as I hooked up the new power steering pump but since I was not removing any faulty parts I figured I would be ok?

Is there a way to test my rack or blow out all the fluid in the lines to make sure I haven't gotten a clog somewhere some how or do I assume that I have a bad rack all of a sudden?

HELP
Old 10-25-06, 02:23 PM
sc250tt
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i had the same issue when my car was v8 but after swapping the 1j it started working fine .its still harder than normal though .feels better this way
Old 10-25-06, 02:37 PM
98LexSc400
Pole Position

So I just need to throw a 6cyl in my car and that will fix it

Anyone with a real suggestion I still need a fix to my problwm
Old 10-25-06, 07:31 PM
sc250tt
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 98LexSc400
So I just need to throw a 6cyl in my car and that will fix it

Anyone with a real suggestion I still need a fix to my problwm
if you want to swap the 1j or jus have a mechanic check it and stop trying to play doctor
Old 10-25-06, 07:44 PM
mobilyte
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

are you sure the name of the company wasnt ATSCO? if so, that is the source of your problems, autozone carries ATSCO/FENCO (supposedly the same company) pumps and i'm on my 3rd pump since nov 2003. i talked to the parts guy and he agreed to refund my $ next time the pump goes bad (not a matter of if, but when!). since they took my original core, i think i'll just buy a used oem pump from a salvage yard and install new seals that come with the rebuilt kit through the lex dealership.
Old 10-26-06, 06:30 AM
98LexSc400
Pole Position

lexusboy94
I am not playing doctor thanks I am simply looking for people that might have input in helping me fix the car you seem to have none
I have no problem doing my own wrenching been doing it for years and I am sure not paying lexus to do it.
Old 10-26-06, 06:41 AM
98LexSc400
Pole Position

mobilyte
Funny you should mention autozone. I almost bought a pump from them except they tried for a week with no success at getting me a cardone or a atsco reman. The 98-00 400's are the same pump but the mounting bracket is different because I tried to get one for an earlier model and found that out. I went to a local shop that recommended http://www.apscoonline.com/ to me. They rebuilt my unit since they had no cores either. I am wishing I went the seal route and just resealed mine since it worked but leaked, now I have it rebuilt and they tell me it works perfect and I have really stiff steering with a whine. I haven't had time to work on it probably won't until the weekend. At this point they are saying my pump is good and maybe it's not, I doubt they would lie about it, I might still have a clog somewhere, or the control valve/solenoid on the rack just happened to go bad which I doubt. Or the power steering gods just want me to use my arm strength.
Old 10-26-06, 06:46 AM
sc250tt
Lexus Champion

soarer central has a turtorial on how to fix power steerings .see if it helps you it was pertaining to a leaky pump
Old 10-26-06, 07:37 AM
98LexSc400
Pole Position

I have the print out from there and many more printouts on any power steering related problems on a V8 Lexus that I could find online, on clublexus, lextreme, us.lexusownersclub, and a few other's. That was the first thing I was going to do. I planned on buying the seal kit and overhauling it myself. But when I found out I could get it done including parts for $150 with a warranty I decided to let them do it since they specailize in it and since I would be getting my pump back resealed and overhauled I figured I couldn't go wrong. Then it should have been a simple reinstall, fresh fluid, spend time bleeding and back on the road I go. But somehow my plan of a simple p/s fix has gone wrong and now I am trying to solve it. I have even hit up some friend's that are Technician's at a Toyota dealer. They told me the rebuilt pump had to be bad that's why I sent it back. When I get to it this weekend I will spend time taking all the lines loose blowing them out with air and making sure there is no clog before reinstalling the pump. I plan on doing a full flush with all new fluid like I have seen in my searches. And then if I cross my fingers just right then hopefully it will all work again. Because I can't believe that my rack just happened to go bad at least I hope not.
Old 10-26-06, 07:51 AM
Tammy
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Depending on your talents, there are not many units to the power steering.

Remove the rack and inspect it for a clogged input or output screen or filter.

It should feel smooth from lock to lock while on the bench.

At times, it may be less to purchase a new part.
Old 10-26-06, 08:57 AM
98LexSc400
Pole Position

Ok I guess I can pull the rack but didn't wan't to get that far into it if I didn't no for sure if it was the problem. Is there no way to check for what you say while it's still in the car? I have turned the wheels in the air it is smooth as can be and makes no noise and takes no effort. Only when I get it on the ground it feels tight to turn not sure if its no power at all, but it is deffinetly taking more effort than before. And if I take a turn at speed it does whine like a low fluid or air in the system noise.
Old 10-31-06, 06:35 AM
98LexSc400
Pole Position

If anyone cares I just wanted to let them know I got it fixed and my steering works perfect now. All I did was thouroughly blew out everyline with air, I turned the rack lock to lock with no lines hooked up and got some fluid out of it. When I reassembled all the lines I used new hose clamps also. I then got a huge funnel and hooked it directly to the input line to the p/s pump and ran about 6 quarts of new fluid through the system with the car running and pumping the return into a bucket and once I felt comfortable with that I reinstalled the final 2 lines and then filled the resevoir with fluid then started the car one last time while still in the air. Lowered it to the ground and checked the fluid one last time and then went to test it and 200 miles later it is still working great and no leaks. I either had some trash that I never saw or a bad air pocket in the lines or when the pump wnet back they repaired it and told me it was fine. Either way its done now and I am happy.
Old 10-31-06, 06:52 AM
sc250tt
Lexus Champion

so the lines was dirty ? i guess you have to clean them out after a peroid of time .
Old 11-21-06, 06:39 AM
Tymboo
Rookie

I had my power sterring pump replaced yesterday, now you have to be like superman or somebody just to turn the corner, or park. Does anyone know what my machanic might have done wrong. He told me that thats normal, and it would go away in a few days. I dont know though???? Help!!!!

Quick Reply: Power Steering Help Please