Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Blown SC300 93 Head Gasket

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-06, 08:38 PM
qmanlexus2
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blown SC300 93 Head Gasket

Guys I Need some help. Heres what happened. I got my used 93 Sc300 and after 2 weeks I noticed the temp Gauge starting to go Up and down a little so I checked the coolant and It good bit looked dirty so decided to order all the Parts from Lexus like a thermastat and a gasket. Got the Parts and was waiting for the weekend. The car over heated, I waited overnight I added some Distilled water and it ran fine for about 2 days until before the weekend before doing the work. I then started the car one morning and it was missing after it warmed up and going High way speed it was OK but then when stopped it iduled funny with alike a small miss like spark plug wires or like a fouled injector.Anyway I took it to my friend which has a Shop and we put the emissions machine smiffer in the Radiator and detected Hydro carbons in the radiator and it smelled alittle like Gas when you smelled into the radiator. My friend told me that you may have a Blown gead Gasket. The car has 95 K on it. What do you think it is.
Old 09-27-06, 09:04 PM
dinhNER
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

waterpump ?
Old 09-27-06, 09:13 PM
qmanlexus2
Driver School Candidate

No I checked it is good. I took it to lexus to have them take a look at it. I am waiting to see what they think but the service adviser is going to have the tech do a Compression check first before doing the work.
Old 09-27-06, 09:13 PM
neurocity
Neu`roc´i`ty

Received 73 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by dinhNER
waterpump ?
Probably not.

It sounds like a classic case of headgasket cancer.
If you have a gas smell in your coolant, and its missing when started cold.

98% pos you need to do up a new gasket.

Check you oil cap, if you have a whiteish foamy film on it. its just one more nail in the gasket coffin.

Best o luck
Old 09-27-06, 09:22 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 335 Likes on 221 Posts

We put engine questions in the engine forum

Moved for you.

Welcome to Cl.
Old 09-28-06, 09:30 AM
Twin Turbo
Rookie

definately sounds like headgasket problem.
My sc recently started doing the same thing. It is hot exhaust gas traveling through the crack in headgasket into the coolant passage and heating up the temp sensor. and as the car rolls, coolant cools the temperature down rapidly. If you drive around like that for awhile, the head will probably go out of spec, leaving you some gap around #3,4,5.

check coolant resorvoir while the car is running, check for air bubbles, or steam stuff.

Im just gonna drive it till it dies, when? I hope little longer till I get that motor...

good luck with yours.
Old 10-03-06, 07:25 PM
qmanlexus2
Driver School Candidate

Well I have had the HG replaced by Lexus and getting car back tommorrow. They did a compression check before they replaced it just to be on the sure side. I replaced the HG and all gaskets that go withn the kit and Replaced the oil Presure sendor due to A MASSIVE LEAK that I had. wish me luck
Old 10-03-06, 10:30 PM
joshthorsc
Lexus Champion

My HG went out on my SC300 a few months ago, but it had over 180k. Since the motor had a lot of milage, I just replaced the motor w/ a used one from attarco and today, my power steering pump went out on me!! *sigh*

~Josh
Old 10-05-06, 07:12 PM
qmanlexus2
Driver School Candidate

Josh Sorry to hear that. Well here is the latest I just got my car back and it wasnt the Head Gasket. It turned out to be Fouled plugs and bad wires. The person that owned it before me had his machanic put in after market wires and plugs 2 years ago. Turned out that the machanic didnt change The Plugs under the throte Body. they were also the original ones. I have only had the car 2 months and 2 other mechanics said also the head gasket. Rally lexus really helped out. They did the a compression check and all clienders before doing the work best thing to do before spending the money.I can say that they were truly honest and could have charged me more.
Old 10-06-06, 06:24 AM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by qmanlexus2
Josh Sorry to hear that. Well here is the latest I just got my car back and it wasnt the Head Gasket. It turned out to be Fouled plugs and bad wires. The person that owned it before me had his machanic put in after market wires and plugs 2 years ago. Turned out that the machanic didnt change The Plugs under the throte Body. they were also the original ones. I have only had the car 2 months and 2 other mechanics said also the head gasket. Rally lexus really helped out. They did the a compression check and all clienders before doing the work best thing to do before spending the money.I can say that they were truly honest and could have charged me more.
Wow - great to see some people are still honest!!

Jonny
Old 10-06-06, 06:26 AM
Psionic
Lead Lap

Glad to hear it wasnt the hg.

If it was though, I was going to suggest telling Lexus to put a thicker hg on, and then give them some nice ARP studs to tighten them down.
Old 10-08-06, 03:39 AM
joshthorsc
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Psionic
Glad to hear it wasnt the hg.

If it was though, I was going to suggest telling Lexus to put a thicker hg on, and then give them some nice ARP studs to tighten them down.

...and then save some $$ and go force induction!!

~Josh
Old 12-02-06, 09:10 PM
qmanlexus2
Driver School Candidate

Well after 1200 Miles I have been monitoring the Coolant and it has dropped to almost the bottom of the reservore tank. Its not overheating but I dont have any traces of any leaks. I do have air bubbles in the reservour Tank all the time and a constant smell of gas in the tank. I hope Lexus didnt add any head gasket sealer to may engine. The sware they dont do that.. Since then I have also noticed that I have a power loss and burning a bit of gas. sometimes it gets good mileage and sometimes it dosent. The other thing I really noticed is that my radiator has Fin deterioration on the fan side of the radiator. I am planning on changing the thermostat. I think I have a bad head gasket. What do you guys think?
Old 12-02-06, 09:16 PM
neurocity
Neu`roc´i`ty

Received 73 Likes on 37 Posts

I would say "yes, your head gasket is toast"...Well cracked anyway.
Old 12-03-06, 06:33 AM
dejacky
Lexus Test Driver

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by neurocity
I would say "yes, your head gasket is toast"...Well cracked anyway.
or leaking? I noticed I was also losing coolant and don't see any leaks...now I'm worried . Isn't there some kind of dye I can put in my drained oil to see if any coolant is in it?

Quick Reply: Blown SC300 93 Head Gasket