Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

engine noise

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-06, 10:29 PM
JohnEd
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default engine noise

My SC400 had what I thought was a bad idler pulley in the accessory belt. I put a stethoscope on that bearing and heard really bad sounds including that occasional "screech" that is associated with a dry bearing sliding a ball. I replaced that bearing and I was happy that the problem was fixed as the bearing I replaced WAS dry. It didn't feel bad though but I skipped over that with my self congratulatory zeal.

That growling bearing sound is back and growing louder. I listened to my NEW idler and it sounds really bad. I loosened the belt and turned the idler and it is smooth and not dry. Curiouser and curiouser! Looking at the engine illustrated break down I see that the cam timing belt idler pulley is BEHIND the alternator belt idler pulley. Are these cam idler pulleys something that nobody has ever heard of failing? Could it be that the Lex water pump has ball bearings ?

Taking off that timing belt is an adventure I can well take but I'd like to skip it if I can. 124K miles. Any experience out there? Help! Please!

Thank you

JohnEd