Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

question from a neon owner... (which is stronger 1UZ TT or 2JZ-GTE)

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-06, 10:35 AM
wannasupra
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default question from a neon owner... (which is stronger 1UZ TT or 2JZ-GTE)

sooo... as not to get ryans thread locked, this is a question to that 2jz guy... do you actually think a single turbo I6 can walk away from a built TT 4.0 V8? don't get me wrong, i'm well versed in the capabilities of a properly built 2jzgte, and they can make some nasty power, but all things equal, don't you think that (i can't believe i'm saying this...) a larger displacement F/I motor is going to make more power?
Old 08-07-06, 12:23 PM
Durrr
Lead Lap

i kinda figured that would be a given? A larger displacement engine at a given pressure level is going to make more power than a smaller one (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but I have never seen anything to the contrary).

Edit : I went back and thought about this : at a given pressure with comparable proportional turbos to the size of the engine (as pressure isn't everything, its total airflow compared to displacement)

Last edited by Durrr; 08-09-06 at 02:25 AM.
Old 08-14-06, 03:52 PM
wannasupra
Driver School Candidate

yes, well, there was some trash talking and i just wanted to clarify his claims.
i got 5 bucks on ryan's car.(that's all i've got lol)
Old 08-14-06, 04:18 PM
DriftNsc3
Lexus Champion

What thread are you all talking about, did I missed something?
Old 08-15-06, 08:20 AM
CleanSC
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Everything being the same, yes: the larger displacement will make more power.

This is why people stroke their engines.

BUT. We're comparing two different engines here with two different turbo setups. So you can't just say that one is better than the other. The factors that make power vary WIDELY and you can't bench race this one.

A properly turboed 4-cylinder with large injectors, proper tune and efficient turbo would kill a turbo V8 with an old turbo, small pipes, stock exhaust and no intercooler.

It's all about the setup. And since the engines are so different, so are the setups. You just can't compare. Both engines are proven to make tons of power reliably.

So to your particular questions:

"do you actually think a single turbo I6 can walk away from a built TT 4.0 V8?"
The answer depends on each car and how they are setup. There's not enough information on each car to answer the question. It can go either way. It's like asking what's faster: a Honda or a Toyota? Well what Honda? What Toyota? You just need to specify details to answer.

"but all things equal, don't you think that (i can't believe i'm saying this...) a larger displacement F/I motor is going to make more power?"
Yes, but in the case of a turbo engine that you stroked. Everything is the same, except you increased displacement. You did not add turbos, you did not add cylinders. Once you do that, things are not equal anymore and the comparison can't be made.
Old 08-15-06, 01:56 PM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The 2JZ and the 1UZ have both been taken to 1400 hp +...hopefully you won't be needing more than that

Last edited by Lex Luthor; 08-15-06 at 05:56 PM.
Old 08-15-06, 03:04 PM
lfrers
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default .

hehe

Well power to weight has a lot to do with it too. thats why you can take a CRX swap the glass with plexiglass, strip the interior, and turbo it. It will beat most cars. But it's still a CRX tin can.

6 vs 8 with the same chassis? I would stick with whats been done. SC300t. Unless you time to kill, want to go big, and your into doing your own fabrication and R&D. Then go 1UZ. Buy a motor cheap build it up crazy like the guy who is doing the TT 4-hundo. I'd rather have the 400 TT than the 300 T.

http://www.bentrodbob.freewebspace.com/photo2.html

Last edited by lfrers; 08-15-06 at 03:35 PM.