Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

FMIC for 1jz custom or kit?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-06, 02:43 PM
scgerg300

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FMIC for 1jz custom or kit?

hey im about to do my 1jz swap in my car and i need an intercooler so im looking to do a FMIC. I haven't seen many kits for our cars but im still kinda new to the sc300 scene. Should i just buy a universal piping kit and a core or should i keep looking for a kit? What have you all done? I am willing to work to put together a custom kit for a cheap FMIC.
Old 08-06-06, 02:46 PM
ConSynX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

cheap 2-row greddy on ebay, i unno about it
i'm running the real cheap HDI(Hybrid) kit on ebay
it was 600, all aluminum piping, couplers, t-clamps, and the IC.

had to bend the PS lines to get it to work, and make my own IC mount...
i also relocated the coolant resevoir, nothing real hard though. prob like $5 for extra hose to relocate the resevoir and $10 in materials to make a mount
Old 08-06-06, 02:49 PM
scgerg300

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/New-T...spagenameZWD1V

that one? will it work with stock turbos?
Old 08-06-06, 03:15 PM
Dew23
Lexus Champion

Not a bad price shiped that should fit the stock twins.
Old 08-06-06, 04:25 PM
ConSynX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

that's the greddy one i mentioned.
i dont know how well it will flow though

that's worth it, or this: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Hybri...QQcmdZViewItem

i got that one, but there was another ebayer from Au that ran a better deal
Old 08-06-06, 05:44 PM
JJG2005
Lead Lap

I'm a big fan of custom piping. Mine is routed through the body of the car, but it is done very cleanly, will not effect the performance of the car in any way, and the piping is bent for maximum efficiency. (Few gradual bends, shortest amount of piping possible, no 90* angles) My IC and piping were both done on a tight budget, and I am very happy with the results.

It seems like a lot of the intercoolers are a waste of money.... a lot of guys up here in Cleveland are pushing up to 700 whp using a $150 eBay frontmount. Mine was a bit more than that, but was definatley nowhere near the cost of the links posted.
Old 08-06-06, 07:25 PM
scgerg300

Originally Posted by JJG2005

I'm a big fan of custom piping. Mine is routed through the body of the car, but it is done very cleanly, will not effect the performance of the car in any way, and the piping is bent for maximum efficiency. (Few gradual bends, shortest amount of piping possible, no 90* angles) My IC and piping were both done on a tight budget, and I am very happy with the results.

It seems like a lot of the intercoolers are a waste of money.... a lot of guys up here in Cleveland are pushing up to 700 whp using a $150 eBay frontmount. Mine was a bit more than that, but was definatley nowhere near the cost of the links posted.
what did you use for piping? just a bunch of pipes and cut them to fit? how hard was it?
Old 08-06-06, 07:32 PM
JJG2005
Lead Lap

What you see there are 3 U-Bends purchased from SummitRacing for $20 each... you can probably find them cheaper even. I wanted to make sure it looked perfect, so my friend came over and helped me fit the piping. It took us about 4 hours in all to get it looking the way it did.

I had to relocate the coolant resivour like a few people mentioned above... also had to fit the power steering cooler around the pipe as you can probably see. Lastly the major difference is the battery had to be moved to the trunk, but I had no problem with that as it really frees up some room for the power steering resivour, and my new SSQV blow-off-valve I will be buying. (Not to mention I heard the SC has 52/48 weight distribution, and moving the battery to the trunk will make it that much closer to 50/50.)
Old 08-14-06, 11:23 AM
kietlander
Racer

Received 52 Likes on 37 Posts

i have the greddy 2row on my 1jz swap now. i bought from the same guy. u will have to relocate the coolent res. and do something with the PS and AC lines. i bought the kit thinking "hey its for a soarer, its gonna make life easier". well it didnt. not only are instructions in japanese, u cant even figure out how to relocate things with the crappy picures. the kit itself was is good, but one thing that dissapointed me a lil. u will still have to use ur stock IC pipe from the engine to the fender.