Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

turning up boost

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-06, 08:25 AM
soardrft
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default turning up boost

ok i went through many threads about putting a boost controller on a turbo car (just to let everyone know i don't mind adding a boost controller), but is there a way to turn up the boost on a stock 1jz motor without a boost controller? this is my second time around with the 1jz. looking at the blitz timer its reading around 9lbs or .6. my first sc w/1jz read around 12lbs or .856. i am almost certain i don't have boost leaks and everything is running close to perfect (just waiting to get the temp and tach fixed). there is no smoke and it does not smell like a low budget gas station.

i assume its possible, but i am looking to get a clear answer on this. the only difference between the 2 1jz swaps i had is one is 5 spd and the other auto. both have fmic and nothing else.
Old 07-19-06, 09:49 AM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get a better turbo or there is a way for faster turbo spool. (Less turbo lag time). You could get a downpipe. You'll have to remove the cat. The downpipe is a bigger pipe and it is used for maximum exhaust flow and quicker turbo spool. You should expect from 10-30 horsepower gains from a downpipe (with an exhaust system).
Old 07-19-06, 10:34 AM
95 Integra
Lead Lap

Time/wear could have made your wastegate spring weaker (thus it doesnt take as much pressure to open it). You also have to figure in intercooler pressure drop and question if your boost gauge is 100% accurate. You can "adjust" boost by pulling the vacuum hose off the wastegate (works everytime for myself).
Old 07-19-06, 12:18 PM
soardrft
Lead Lap

95 Integra: You can "adjust" boost by pulling the vacuum hose off the wastegate (works everytime for myself).

if i pull the vaccum hose off what would the increase the boost to?
Old 07-19-06, 01:39 PM
happypanda
Lead Lap

umm i do not recommend just pulling the wastegate vacuum line off. that can cause spike in boost and might reach unsafe levels for your motor. i wouldnt risk it. good way is to either get a manual boost controller or an electronic one. and make sure you have an actual boost gauge reading from the intake mani and not just rely on your turbo timer. HAPPY BOOSTING
Old 07-19-06, 03:01 PM
95 Integra
Lead Lap

Haha, yea dont use that method unless you want to see your turbo overheat and turn into a puddle of metal. It will run "max" boost (probably 24psi or so). Basically the wastegate wont open at all and the turbo will give it all it has (which is beyond its efficiency and operating range).
Old 07-19-06, 03:12 PM
5spdSC300
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 95 Integra
Haha, yea dont use that method unless you want to see your turbo overheat and turn into a puddle of metal. It will run "max" boost (probably 24psi or so). Basically the wastegate wont open at all and the turbo will give it all it has (which is beyond its efficiency and operating range).
What was the point of telling him to pull the wastegate hose then ?

Theres a couple ghetto ways of raising boost but why not just get a cheap manual boost controller?
Old 07-19-06, 04:10 PM
soardrft
Lead Lap

just wanted to see how the boost was raised on my last car. i lost my old mechanics number so asking him would be hard. i guess electronic is the way i have to go now unless i can get info on how to get anywhere from 12-14.5 on my 1jz.
Old 07-19-06, 05:09 PM
95 Integra
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 5spdSC300
What was the point of telling him to pull the wastegate hose then ?

Theres a couple ghetto ways of raising boost but why not just get a cheap manual boost controller?
Its call humor....too bad it didnt go over too well due to the lack of knowledge.
Old 07-19-06, 05:39 PM
happypanda
Lead Lap

sometimes unknowledgable tuners will take unserious advice and go do what was told and next thing u know motor is blown ahhahahah...its all fun and games till someone's motor go...vrooooom...pschhhh....knock knock...blap blap blap HAHAHAHHA
Old 07-19-06, 07:30 PM
95 Integra
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by happypanda
sometimes unknowledgable tuners will take unserious advice and go do what was told and next thing u know motor is blown ahhahahah...its all fun and games till someone's motor go...vrooooom...pschhhh....knock knock...blap blap blap HAHAHAHHA

bwhahaha....thats what I call a valuable learning experience. "You mean not everything I read on the internet is true???" Dont worry, I'll post up with I blow my tranny and then my motor and you can laugh at me too.
Old 07-19-06, 08:04 PM
5spdSC300
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 95 Integra
Its call humor....too bad it didnt go over too well due to the lack of knowledge.
Sorry i didn't catch the humor. I was just thinking to myself "i hope this guy is joking". Maybe add an "lol" or some kinda of icon to show that it was a joke since the poster actually took you seriously.
Old 07-20-06, 10:53 AM
95 Integra
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Memphisacc
It goes with out saying people in Alabama can't be trusted....

Fight, Vols fight with all your might,
For the Orange and White
Never falter, never yield
As we march on down the field
Keep Marching!
Let the Spirit of the Hill
Every Vol with courage fill
Your loyalty means our victory
So fight, Vols, fight!

Beware of lean conditions in raising boost....Piston melt =

bwhahaha, too bad I live in TN now.
Old 07-21-06, 08:54 AM
DriftGirl
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

any other way (there are) u turn up the boost is going to be more effort then just using a MBC. theyre hella cheap 20-40 bucks or you can go to the hardware store and build a fairly decent one for 15 bucks or so
Old 09-09-06, 03:15 PM
JJG2005
Lead Lap

So, we think my car might be pushing more than factory boost since it's a lot quicker than expected. I have a boost gauge in the mail and it should be here Monday so I'll know for sure. The only non-stock vacuum line or anything I eliminated was the check-valve comming off of the blow-off valve. It was broken, so I replaced it with a piece of straight vacuum line. Does anyone know what effect this would have, if any, on the car?

Quick Reply: turning up boost