Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

1JZ Owners.... Reliabilty

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-06, 03:50 PM
hemogoblin
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1JZ Owners.... Reliabilty

So before I get deep into the 1JZ world. Anyone drive their 1JZ SC's daily? I have been planning on buying a DD before doign the 1J swap, but with the cash saved for a DD, im thinking of just saying screw it and dropping the 1J in.

Now after 2 years of everything being almost perfect in the 2JZGE, my car has been back and forth the shop alot (5 times in 2 months). Anyone constantly fixing stuff in the 1J? Not mods, or problems because of mods, but just regular problems? I do understand the motors are kind of old.

If anyone has had a very shop prone 1J, please fill me in, I cant drop 5K into a motor swap that will be leaving me regretting things.
Old 05-25-06, 03:56 PM
SoarerJzz3
Lead Lap

I drive mine almost everyday. Just take measures to try and prevent any problems, replace belts, valve cover gaskets, front/rear main seal, etc. Not saying you won't have any at all, this just helps. Try and make sure you have everything, so you won't have any long downtimes. I tried but still ran into some things.

I did have a problem with water (from car wash)getting into my spark plug valley, causing it to run bad. Turned out water was leaking under the hood seal and dripping down in there.

Last edited by SoarerJzz3; 05-25-06 at 04:05 PM.
Old 05-25-06, 04:31 PM
kaotiq
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I drove mine everyday until feb. Gas prices. It was very reliable. If you are getting the 1J swap for the power, i suggest building the stock 2j. It's good if not better and cheaper.

edit: my gas mileage was a lot better on the 2j

Last edited by kaotiq; 05-25-06 at 04:35 PM.
Old 05-25-06, 04:56 PM
VinnyQH
Lead Lap

i'm about to swap over to a 1j too. I believe it HAS to be reliable, it was FACTORY in the soarer.
Old 05-25-06, 05:02 PM
atekt
Lexus Test Driver

Daily drive mine everyday. To and from work and race it..It has been flawless for me.
Old 05-25-06, 05:02 PM
hemogoblin
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by kaotiq
I drove mine everyday until feb. Gas prices. It was very reliable. If you are getting the 1J swap for the power, i suggest building the stock 2j. It's good if not better and cheaper.

edit: my gas mileage was a lot better on the 2j
Im getting it for Fun/reliability. Ill probably keep it stock for a while. The only mods ill do are bolt on's, and thats not til later, probably run 12psi daily, but i may even do 14psi daily (will keep it at 10psi til i slap an exhaust/intake on)
Old 05-25-06, 09:20 PM
kaosman
Driver

I'm a consultant and average between 300 and 500 miles a week for work. I live in the Palm Springs area, where lately the temps have been above 100 degrees and I'm always running the A/C on full blast. I also make bi-monthly trips to the Ventura County area to help my buddy out at his shop. Since I've done the 1JZ swap, I've put almost 7K on the swap and it has performed flawlessly. I would drive this car across country if the need arose and not be worried if I forgot my toolbox.
Old 05-25-06, 09:53 PM
BLK13X
Mortgage Slave

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by VinnyQH
i'm about to swap over to a 1j too. I believe it HAS to be reliable, it was FACTORY in the soarer.
I love my factory 1JZ

They're reliable as long as you maintain them, just like any other motor and I haven't heard too many stories of these motors throwing bearings etc etc like some other motors do. Small things DO break such as the coil pack connectors (the small plastic bits between the rocker covers) and the rocker gaskets need replacing when they age, but just as long as you keep it regularly maintained you won't have a problem. I'd change the water pump while the motor is out though, it'll save you hassles if it does screw up (ie. removing timing belt etc. to get to it).
Old 05-25-06, 10:14 PM
roo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Soarer_25GTT
I love my factory 1JZ

They're reliable as long as you maintain them, just like any other motor and I haven't heard too many stories of these motors throwing bearings etc etc like some other motors do. Small things DO break such as the coil pack connectors (the small plastic bits between the rocker covers) and the rocker gaskets need replacing when they age, but just as long as you keep it regularly maintained you won't have a problem. I'd change the water pump while the motor is out though, it'll save you hassles if it does screw up (ie. removing timing belt etc. to get to it).
i bet the vvti is good with gas mileage as well....
Old 05-25-06, 10:19 PM
SimonR
Driver School Candidate

I've been running a 1JZ at 1 bar boost for about 40,000 miles with no problems at all. That includes quite a few days at the track.
Old 05-26-06, 02:31 AM
BLK13X
Mortgage Slave

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Roo, only by a marginal amount compared to my old Soarer in it's modded state heheheh
Old 05-26-06, 08:22 AM
hemogoblin
Lexus Test Driver

Guys who are driving it daily, what mods do you have? Im trying to decide on what to get before dropping the motor in. The only thing for sure i'd probably get is Exhuast/Intake. But the idea of cams keeps poppin in my head..

Im not really looking for crazy power yet, just enough power to keep it reliable, but fun.
Old 05-26-06, 09:03 AM
kaosman
Driver

Originally Posted by hemogoblin
Guys who are driving it daily, what mods do you have?
No mufflers, no cat, AVC-R boost controller set at 12 psi. Everything else stock.
Old 05-26-06, 09:25 AM
hemogoblin
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by kaosman
No mufflers, no cat, AVC-R boost controller set at 12 psi. Everything else stock.
Nice. Isnt the car way too loud though? I really gotta check out your ride... pretty much how I want my car. Stock and reliable with the AC blasting. Where did you get your clip from?
Old 05-26-06, 10:10 AM
MikeFD3S
Lead Lap

How are you guys dealing with replacement parts? One of the reasons i'm sticking with going 2JZ-GE+T is for the avaiability of replacement parts should anything happen.

I can imagine parts like coil packs, ignitors, or other subsystems going bad on those engines to be a liability, since the only replacements afaik are used, and have a bit of a wait time associated with getting/sourcing them.

Quick Reply: 1JZ Owners.... Reliabilty