Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

car shutting off...please help

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-06, 01:06 PM
donktan
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default car shutting off...please help

a while back i posted a thread on my car turning off i am here to revise and update it. so my car turns off sometimes when im coasting at 5mph or 40mph. first my electrical cuts out, as in the gauges and the radio and lights, i have nothing and i have to pull to the side and restart the car. yesterday it happened again but in the mall parking lot i tried turning the car back on but it didnt work which was funny was that the dome light was on but the locks and everything did not work. and yet i kept pressing the lock switch and i could tell that the car was slowly getting power back. and finally the car started again after a few minutes. usually the car starts right away.

i took it to a nearby lexus dealer for a diagnostic, they could not find anything. they checked: timing belt, distributor, any looser wires, checked my alternator(perfect condition), my battery(perfect).

i took it to a local shop before this the dealer and got my throttle body cleaned, fuel filter changed, fuel injector cleaned, transmission flush, and all the regular maintance stuff.

i tried seraching writing " car shutting off" and "car turning off" but the search WILL not let me like the page willnot load, i have typed in other words and it has worked. any information is greatly appreciated.
Old 05-12-06, 07:49 PM
Supra Dr
Moving SC Threads

Received 122 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by Memphisacc
Could it be a bad ground on your alternator or a loose ground? The problem your describing my friend just recently had with a 88 volvo, we basicaly ended up rewiring the entire car and it still continued to lose power/ never really build more then 11.3 volts...very odd
volvo's typically develope wire harness problems, the insulation drys out / cracks & shorts develope. they need to sell new cars too.

Anyway, search for a ground problem first. Typically dirty, poor or loose connections.

heres a good 1 to get you started.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...ground+problem